Page 9 of 14 FirstFirst ... 7891011 ... LastLast
    +1
    Okay, I'll chime in as I feel this thread started when I sold my two strokes!

There are Ford and Chevy guys along with two stroke and four stroke guys. I respect both, but I'm a two stroke guy!

We own a two stroke Mercury 150 since 1986, thousands of hours on it, still running strong. Not sure where this 200 hr rebuild comes from. The 785 I had had all least 300-400 hours on it, still runs strong and hard. Put fuel in and top off oil, no issues.

Two strokes have 30% power to weight ratio. Had two strokes all my life with zero issues except the Polaris 785 with the the exhaust issue. Love two strokes. LUGs is correct, snomobile mfgs are making turbo two strokes, more power, les weight. You four stroke guys can argue all you want, but at the end of the day, they are heavy. Two strokes may need a little more know how, but its not their fault. Like I said, my 785 ran like a top for years with no maintenance. Build it right and it will perform. Not sure why peeps needed to rebuild their power plants.

Maybe you could not rember to add oil when fueling. I always had a ton of oil on hand!

I will defend two strokes all day long, but to a point. At some point, four stroke super charged or turbo charged will greatly overcome the two strokes. That's where the fine line comes in. ��
    Last edited by Derwood98; 09-21-2020 at 10:04 PM.

2. +1 by:

+1
    And K447, your opinion is just that, not gospel! I would run two strokes all day over four strokes, but, that's my opinion. If I were to purchase a new outboard motor, it would be a two stroke. Why, they have better power to weight ratio and they are reliable! Love two stroke motors. Four stroke have their place, just not in my world. Agree to disagree!

Click avatar for tech links/info K447's Avatar
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by Derwood98 View Post
    ... Not sure why peeps needed to rebuild their power plants.

Maybe you could not remember to add oil when fueling. ...
    Well, your engines ran for a long time and others have had engines that ran for less time. That is how it goes.

None of my 2-stroke engines that failed had a problem with oil delivery. Oil tank always keep well filled, oil hoses inspected and properly clamped. Legend high quality oil or Amsoil in the earlier years. Tear down inspections never indicated oil starvation on the cylinder walls. Rebuild and reuse the same oil pump and hoses, the engine runs for another 100+ hours.

Still, the 2-stroke engines can fail. Crankcase bearing goes bad was the most common failure cause for me. On carb engines a cylinder running lean is a popular way for a piston to become holed.

If a new member joins and reports a failed crank bearing at 150 hours, nobody says ‘wow, that is such low hours for a failure’. We just nod and think ‘yep, that is often how it goes’...

Remembering to add oil - is precisely one of the reasons 2-strokes are a hard sell now. I never have to remember to add oil to a 4-stroke engine. Even if I forgot about the oil changes entirely for a year (or two) the engine will probably just keep running normally. The oil will look terrible when it eventually does get changed, and perhaps the engine may wear out at some hour count less than it might otherwise, but that 4-stroke engine with old oil won’t die anywhere nearly as quickly as a 2-stroke will when the oil tank gets emptied.

Pre-mixing the oil into the fuel is even more of a hard sell. A extra hassle with every fill up - The market is not interested. Even back in the early days the bulk of the market did not like pre-mix. That is why the factory oil injection systems were present.

+1
    Sorry you had such a bad experience with two strokes! I had the opposite experience! Ran like tops once built and tuned, no issues what so ever!

Prior to PWC, I had many two stroke dirt bikes. No issues! Beat the crap out of them and no issues and never rebuilt them. Not sure where this 200 hr crap comes from, but if you build them right, they will last forever! Oil and fuel, no issues and beast the piss out of therm! Two strokes are solid!

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by Derwood98 View Post
    ... purchase a new outboard motor, it would be a two stroke...
    Is Yamaha the last company making new 2-stroke outboard motors?

Evinrude has stopped production.
    https://boatingindustry.com/news/202...otor-business/

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by K447 View Post
    Is Yamaha the last company making new 2-stroke outboard motors?

Evinrude has stopped production.
    https://boatingindustry.com/news/202...otor-business/
    I have no idea what new MFG is coming out with, but two stroke is superior to four stroke in the outboard market in my opinion!

+1
    i gotta disagree, i love 2 strokes, ive had 12 domestic polaris and only had one engine failure and i ride hard and frequent...now having said that you cannot make 300hp 2 stroke ski thats reliable....what are all the fastest skis on the planet? yamaha 4 strokes running turbo setups.

If you want power 4 stroke turbo or supercharger just cant be beat.

Ive ridden almost every polaris ski made, and my sl1050 is an animal in its own right, so much so it schools my stock slx1200....but ive ridden a gp1800r and a rxpx 300...and let me be very clear that is a whole different world of power and smoothness.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by savageman69 View Post
    i gotta disagree, i love 2 strokes, ive had 12 domestic polaris and only had one engine failure and i ride hard and frequent...now having said that you cannot make 300hp 2 stroke ski thats reliable....what are all the fastest skis on the planet? yamaha 4 strokes running turbo setups.

If you want power 4 stroke turbo or supercharger just cant be beat.

Ive ridden almost every polaris ski made, and my sl1050 is an animal in its own right, so much so it schools my stock slx1200....but ive ridden a gp1800r and a rxpx 300...and let me be very clear that is a whole different world of power and smoothness.
    Great, agree to disagree! If we are talking about 1200 Polaris two strokes, love the platforms. If you you want to compare a 4 stroke 20 years later, good for you. We like the old school 2 stroke, screw your opinion of your comparison. We are not talking four stroke!

Kevin, chime in here at any time!

Quote Originally Posted by K447 View Post
    How is worry going to help anything?

I am not seeing frequent reports of problems with the actual Yamaha SVHO supercharger or the shaft. A few breakages here and there but not many. Far more clutch slippage reports than anything else.

I suppose if I wanted to be proactive I could inventory a spare supercharger and spare intercooler. Stock used units with low hours are generally available. And then wait how long for a possible failure?
    The issue that I have is that the stock supercharger parts are not available from Yamaha, if they were some of the issues could be resolved with some preventative maintenance with some of the wear items like the thrust plates and buttons. You have to go with an aftermarket setup and I still see failures because the stock thrust plates are still used and the rebuild parts are very high from the aftermarket.

Problems I have encountered with the 1.8 for the course of 10 years are,

Stripped crank keyway on the flywheel.
    Numerous clutch failures, too many to count.
    And two broken supercharger shafts. One stock, one aftermarket.
    One worn out thrust plate in the supercharger...

I guess overall not to bad.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by OutlawGPR View Post
    ... stock supercharger parts are not available from Yamaha. if they were some of the issues could be resolved with some preventative maintenance with some of the wear items like the thrust plates and buttons.

... Problems I have encountered with the 1.8 over the course of 10 years are,

... two broken supercharger shafts. One stock, one aftermarket.
    One worn out thrust plate in the supercharger...

I guess overall not too bad.
    Three failures with the actual supercharger - I presume this is across a fairly large number of Yamaha PWC you have worked on.

Using aftermarket replacement internal supercharger parts, what would be a reasonable approach to preventive maintenance?
    Disassemble and just replace certain ‘at risk’ parts at xyz running hours?
    Inspect for wear but not replace if wear is minimal?

Page 9 of 14 FirstFirst ... 7891011 ... LastLast

Thread Information