Page 11 of 14 FirstFirst ... 910111213 ... LastLast
    Click avatar for tech links/info K447's Avatar
    +1
    2020 has been a strange year for used PWC prices. And boats. Basically anything that let people get outside their house and away from others.

We just sold our stock 2003 SXR-800 for $5500 CAD a month ago. We were not riding it and the market prices were bouyant. No trailer, just the ski.

My guess is that we may get one more summer of strong market demand for used (and new) PWC and then prices may settle down as some of those aggressive buyers realize they just won’t be using it very often. If my guess is correct the summer and especially the fall of 2022 should have some good deals on lightly used one and two year old watercraft.

+1
    Last edited by Derwood98; 09-24-2020 at 12:22 PM.

Click avatar for tech links/info K447's Avatar
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by K447 View Post
    2020 has been a strange year ... Basically anything that let people get outside their house and away from others.
    My guess is that ....
    http://greenhulk.net/forums/showthre...=1#post3101020

Quote Originally Posted by BRP CEO Jose Boisjoli
    A lot of people realized in May and June that they had not many options for going on vacation anywhere, and a lot of people turned around and decided to try powersports,” Boisjoli was quoted. “Cruising on ATVs or Sea-Doos respects physical distancing and allows friends and family to share a social activity, making it perfect for the COVID-19 era,” Boisjoli continued.

What is most interesting is that more than three-quarters of powersport vehicle purchases came from first-time BRP buyers, more than half of whom were new to the products, regardless of brand, the company said.

+1
    2020 has been a strange year for used PWC prices. And boats. Basically anything that let people get outside their house and away from others.

We just sold our stock 2003 SXR-800 for $5500 CAD a month ago. We were not riding it and the market prices were bouyant. No trailer, just the ski.

My guess is that we may get one more summer of strong market demand for used (and new) PWC and then prices may settle down as some of those aggressive buyers realize they just won’t be using it very often. If my guess is correct the summer and especially the fall of 2022 should have some good deals on lightly used one and two year old watercraft.
    Even before this, 750 SX(i) values changed a lot here. They were about $1,500 when I got mine, SXR800 beat it down to about $1,000 for a while, when SXR 800 was discontinued the price started to climb and it has been ever since. SXR 800 prices have done nothing but gone up after they hit a floor a while ago too.

Things got crazy this season, I agree with you about prices going up because a lot of people are buying these things when they never have. But two stroke stand up prices have been going up long before COVID hit. There's definitely a demand that people aren't seeing filled with the 1500 SXR and probably the SJ4.

Lots of things have been hard to find. I have been looking for a three seater project to go wakeboarding, wakeskating, etc behind and prices have been ridiculous this season.

Anyways, the point I'm trying to make about stand up is if Polaris came back, there are a lot of markets they could fill that aren't being filled well enough right now. Low end, somewhat fast skis that are cheap and two stroke stand ups. Hell, I'd wager they could find financial success with just a two stroke stand up and a low/mid range affordable couch. They don't even need a serious, high performance ski though I'd love to see one.

Polaris wasn't around for long but they have a good record of innovation with PWC. They were the first (I think) to put a serious displacement engine in a large two seater hull. They pushed things to the limits with the Pro 785 by taking their regular 750 fuji engine and going all out with it. I always thought their move with the Pro 785 caused everyone else to panic, because they're 800 class boats were zero competition, and shove 1100s into their skis. I'd love to see what they would do if they came back to PWC. There are markets that have demand and not enough supply and I don't feel like Polaris would just roll out something generic. I do think they could easily roll out generic stuff and be successful, but I don't think that's what they would do.

She likes the bike. But the ski gets her wet!!!! xlint89's Avatar
    +1
    Not following your thoughts on the sit-down vs. stand-up types.

There are only two stand-up models sold new today (from a major manufacturer), one from Yamaha and a rather big one from Kawasaki.
    Sorry, failed to proof read.

Meant to say stand ups.

Not much competition, and the Octane was a big success. They could be targeting this area.

You said only 2 major manufacturers. Is Hydrospace out of the game, or are they considered a small company?

Last I saw, they were cleaning everyone's clock with, wasn't it the Weber engine?

MSX 150 guy lives on Mr. GP1800's Avatar
    +1
    I’m not poo pooing Polaris. I’m just basing my comments on ownership experience between the Polaris and a new modern machine. There is no comparison. The new Yamaha is just better in every way. You want to say it’s heavy? It’s 767 pounds empty so roughly 100 pounds more than an msx. The ski feels really light because of the amount of horsepower under the seat. It honestly reminded me of my pro 1200 the first time I rode it. Handled similar in so many ways.

I bought the Yamaha and my outlay of cash was less per month than when I was trying to keep a fleet of Polaris skis going. Buying and storing spare parts because the my be unavailable when I needed them got expensive and took up a lot of space. I generally didn’t have break downs on the water but none of them with exception of the msx 140 and 150 had the fuel range I get with my Yamaha.

I said many of the same things a lot of you are saying regarding buying a new machine vs running with my old Polaris skis. I enjoy the performance I get with the Yamaha. No Polaris can come close. My matrix would run with any sea Doo 260 or Yamaha sho stock. The sea Doo 300s and Yamaha svho are so much quicker than their predecessors. Those changed the game for me. Until riding a svho I had no desire to buy a new ski. I had similar performance from my Polaris at a cheaper price.

I enjoyed my Polaris machines. They got me into the sport. The point keith and me are both trying to make is that no Polaris can hold a candle to a new modern performance ski Whether it be cruise range, performance, or reliability. I probably wouldn’t get a sea Doo gti or a Yamaha vx to replace a Polaris as the performance is similar to what you get on any Polaris 1200. I guess until you’ve owned both you wouldn’t understand the difference. I don’t ever think about burning down a piston or seizing a motor because something went wrong in the fuel system. I just fuel up, get on the ski push the button and go. My ride time is somewhat limited so I want to ride more and wrench less.

By the way Bob I’m at 195 hours on mine now. I’m getting my moneys worth out of it. I don’t regret buying the Yamaha one bit.

7. +1 by:

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr. GP1800 View Post
    I’m not poo pooing Polaris. I’m just basing my comments on ownership experience between the Polaris and a new modern machine. There is no comparison. The new Yamaha is just better in every way. You want to say it’s heavy? It’s 767 pounds empty so roughly 100 pounds more than an msx. The ski feels really light because of the amount of horsepower under the seat. It honestly reminded me of my pro 1200 the first time I rode it. Handled similar in so many ways.

I bought the Yamaha and my outlay of cash was less per month than when I was trying to keep a fleet of Polaris skis going. Buying and storing spare parts because the my be unavailable when I needed them got expensive and took up a lot of space. I generally didn’t have break downs on the water but none of them with exception of the msx 140 and 150 had the fuel range I get with my Yamaha.

I said many of the same things a lot of you are saying regarding buying a new machine vs running with my old Polaris skis. I enjoy the performance I get with the Yamaha. No Polaris can come close. My matrix would run with any sea Doo 260 or Yamaha sho stock. The sea Doo 300s and Yamaha svho are so much quicker than their predecessors. Those changed the game for me. Until riding a svho I had no desire to buy a new ski. I had similar performance from my Polaris at a cheaper price.

I enjoyed my Polaris machines. They got me into the sport. The point keith and me are both trying to make is that no Polaris can hold a candle to a new modern performance ski Whether it be cruise range, performance, or reliability. I probably wouldn’t get a sea Doo gti or a Yamaha vx to replace a Polaris as the performance is similar to what you get on any Polaris 1200. I guess until you’ve owned both you wouldn’t understand the difference. I don’t ever think about burning down a piston or seizing a motor because something went wrong in the fuel system. I just fuel up, get on the ski push the button and go. My ride time is somewhat limited so I want to ride more and wrench less.

By the way Bob I’m at 195 hours on mine now. I’m getting my moneys worth out of it. I don’t regret buying the Yamaha one bit.

So 60 or so hrs in 3 yrs really isn't getting your money's worth to me and i never said you should regret buying it but i know most good 2 strokes can run 60 hrs easy
    I bet Xlint does double that each yr on the big lakes too and your Pro 1200 is still running trouble free how many yrs later

+1
    Hey Bob, nice to see you out and about!

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by xlint89 View Post
    ... stand ups.

Not much competition, and the Octane was a big success. They could be targeting this area.

You said only 2 major manufacturers. Is Hydrospace out of the game, or are they considered a small company?

Last I saw, they were cleaning everyone's clock with, wasn't it the Weber engine?
    Try and buy one and you'll see that they're not entirely a major player. I don't think they're very big in the USA. You can get several aftermarket hulls for stand ups, and you're left to put your own engine in them. It's sort of a way to get around having to sell two stroke engines and the problems that come with it. They just sell the hull, make it very easy to put a Kaw or Yam two stroke in it, and just let you figure it out. Krash Industries has one, you can get just the hull for $4k, or they have options with engines in them. But they are rare and expensive. I've never really seen them. I'll see one or two a year or two on craigslist. They aren't very common. Not like a SJ, I have even seen more Yamaha FX-1s out there (which were limited edition and only made a few years) than the aftermarket ones and hydrospace.

They aren't easy to find. There are no dealerships. Try and buy one in the USA, I've been looking just for prices and can't find any. I think they're only big in Europe.

MSX 150 guy lives on Mr. GP1800's Avatar
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by 785 lugs View Post
    So 60 or so hrs in 3 yrs really isn't getting your money's worth to me and i never said you should regret buying it but i know most good 2 strokes can run 60 hrs easy
    I bet Xlint does double that each yr on the big lakes too and your Pro 1200 is still running trouble free how many yrs later
    All true. But none of those machines can compare to the performance and ride quality of the new ski. As well as ease of maintenance fuel range and reliability. Not to mention the ride system on Yamaha is slick as shit. I wouldn’t give that up for anything. The handling and performance is better than anything I’ve ever ridden

Page 11 of 14 FirstFirst ... 910111213 ... LastLast

Thread Information