Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

+1

I screwed an engine compression

Put a new engine into my 15F. Thought I broke it in good but later on in the day I felt a bump and saw smoke. Towed it to the trailer and did compression. 1 = 220, 2 = 220, 3 = 180, 4 = 220.

Water in the oil and it looks frothy yellow. Looks like I need a set of rings? Head gasket? Can I get to them from the bottom or the top? Any love?

+1
    After reading this to myself it has to be a head gasket. Water cant get into the oil from a cylinder. Maybe I did break her in right. This is the third engine that I have broken in. But the others were two strokes.

Let me out of here......I need to go on Greenhulk!
    +1
    what was wrong with the engine that this one replaced?

+1
    It seized at Nasaki Wash on the San Juan arm at Lake Powell. Six hour speedboat ride to the nearest marina of any quality. The crank got pushed forward. At that point, I maybe had 5 hours on the new to me ski.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by 48Straight View Post
    It seized at Nasaki Wash on the San Juan arm at Lake Powell. Six hour speedboat ride to the nearest marina of any quality. The crank got pushed forward. At that point, I maybe had 5 hours on the new to me ski.

Ok. I was wondering if you had water in the oil before the rebuild. Did you re-use any of the old parts from the motor that came apart? Maybe the cylinder or head surface was warped. Whatever is going on is probably in that 3rd hole. I would say pull the motor, I dont think leaving it in the ski will save you any time.

Who did the motor? Did you get a warranty with the rebuild?

+1
    You did upgrade the jet pump, right???

7. +1 by:

+1
    Its a brand new out of warranty engine from a trusted rebuilder. This is my third engine (different skis) from them. I did hydrolock the engine on the hose when I forgot to start it before the water. Did what we all do on a hydrolock and ran it on the hose for about 5 min before hitting the lake. I doubt the hydrolock did anything. Broke it in slowly on the lake.

The head gasket (if that is the issue) is far enough down that it is easier to pull the engine?

I did a used pump last summer and I cant remember if it is a two or three bearing that is in there now. Can you tell by the casing?

OBTW, drained the oil today and am thinking of putting new or used oil in, turning it over, draining it and new oil in it again for winter storage. Just trying to get the water out of the system.

+1
    Oh I see. You think the hose filled the motor with water and bent the #3 rod when it hydrolocked.

+1
    You said that the crank got 'pushed forward' and you're not sure about the jet pump?

That should have been done before ever putting the engine back in.

+1
    No my friend a rod did not get bent from the hose. The ski ran extremely well on break in.

Yes I will have to pull the motor because of the timing chain.

Sorry I can t remember if the replacement is a two or three bearing pump. My bad. You know you can change the pump without removing the engine.

I will pull it apart and count the bearings. I doubt however that is the problem with low compression in the three hole or helps me to get water out of the case.

Thank you!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information