Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

2012 FX Cruiser HO won't start

Recently went out to start my 2012 fx cruiser and got nothing. Checked the battery and it was dead (hadn't been run in a month) so I replaced with a new battery. Press the start button and everything lights up, bilge runs, but it doesn't turn over or click. If I press the start button in rapid succession I can get it to begin to turn over but never enough to get it started. Any recommendations? thanks

Click avatar for tech links/info K447's Avatar
    +1
    Are you sure the new battery is fully charged and delivering the necessary starting power?

Quote Originally Posted by K447 View Post
    Are you sure the new battery is fully charged and delivering the necessary starting power?
    yes, I checked the battery and the dash reads 12.7.

Click avatar for tech links/info K447's Avatar
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by Tbarile View Post
    yes, I checked the battery and the dash reads 12.7.
    Check the actual voltage right at the battery posts (not the cable connections, the actual posts on the battery), using a digital multi-meter.

Watch the battery voltage while pressing Start button.

How low does the battery voltage sag when Start button is pressed?

Does the dash reading show a very different voltage than the multi-meter when Start is pressed?

@Tbarile 12.7 is a little low you would like to see 13+ standing voltage. But have you checked the plugs and are you using a lanyard as well?

Key fob. security? I have had them do that when locked. Fast presses will try to turn but won't.

Quote Originally Posted by FatTube_Monster View Post
    @Tbarile 12.7 is a little low you would like to see 13+ standing voltage. But have you checked the plugs and are you using a lanyard as well?
    yes I'm using a lanyard. I haven't checked the plugs.

Quote Originally Posted by infernojoe View Post
    Key fob. security? I have had them do that when locked. Fast presses will try to turn but won't.
    The locked light is not on

Quote Originally Posted by K447 View Post
    Check the actual voltage right at the battery posts (not the cable connections, the actual posts on the battery), using a digital multi-meter.

Watch the battery voltage while pressing Start button.

How low does the battery voltage sag when Start button is pressed?

Does the dash reading show a very different voltage than the multi-meter when Start is pressed?
    My multimeter isn't digital so it's tough to get an exact reading but it didn't move when I press start (it also doesn't turn over at all). I hooked up a battery charger that shows a digital read out and it was at 12.9, same as what dash says, and didn't change when I pressed start.

Battery is fully charged.

Quote Originally Posted by Tbarile View Post
    My multimeter isn't digital so it's tough to get an exact reading but it didn't move when I press start (it also doesn't turn over at all). I hooked up a battery charger that shows a digital read out and it was at 12.9, same as what dash says, and didn't change when I pressed start.

Battery is fully charged.

Hi Tbarile,

As mentioned, pull the plugs and have a look at them, check their is no moisture around plugs or in the holes. Replace plugs unless they look good, else clean gap and replace. Even turn the engine over with plugs removed if needed. If you have spark and engine will turn over then check fuel. Pull fuel hose off at fuel rail with every off after you have attempted to start it (use a large rag as it should be under pressure) and will give you a cup full of fuel so don't let it in the hull.
    Re battery, I recently pulled mine off the charger and installed back in hull, like you dash lit up and i could hear drain pump etc but no start - just a faint little click. I tried it again and same thing, I thought I had a crap battery and checked voltage like you and all was ok. I scratched my head and then I removed and retighten the battery terminal and she fired right up. No problem since, I think the terminals were a little dirty or I had not tighened them enough for the high current start operation.

Good luck,

Dave
    2010 FX SHO
    Previous 2012 FX HO

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information