+1

Looking for Expert 2-Stroke Polaris PWC Service in New Hampshire / Massachusetts Area

I have a 99 1050 SLTX that is refusing to catch after a complete top end rebuild. 120psi Compression, Pressure Tested, Spark, Fuel, Reeds Ok, new bendix, flywheel correctly on its key. It's all there but it refuses to even attempt to catch.

All it will do is occasionally ignite the fuel in the exhaust resulting an a backfire in the exhaust. I just want someone who really knows these things to have a look at it and see if something is off and get it running.

+1
    That is usually a timing issue . . . check you CPS, TPS, and your EMM. You can ohm out your CPS and TPS to ensure they show the correct values as listed in the service manuals.

Manuals are available via the Polaris PWC Info Link in my signature.

If they are OK, then I would say its the EMM. I would only trust my EMM to Lakeside Tech . . . link in my signature

MSX 150 guy lives on Mr. GP1800's Avatar
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by bfarnam View Post
    That is usually a timing issue . . . check you CPS, TPS, and your EMM. You can ohm out your CPS and TPS to ensure they show the correct values as listed in the service manuals.

Manuals are available via the Polaris PWC Info Link in my signature.

If they are OK, then I would say its the EMM. I would only trust my EMM to Lakeside Tech . . . link in my signature
    This is not a fuel injected machine. It has carbs and a CDI ignition

MSX 150 guy lives on Mr. GP1800's Avatar
    +1
    Check your battery voltage while cranking. Anything less than 10.6 volts will give no spark

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr. GP1800 View Post
    This is not a fuel injected machine. It has carbs and a CDI ignition

Hahahaha I opened up several threads at once and got confused with the guy with the 03 Virage i . . . LOL

Still a timing issue though . . . I don't really know enough about the carbs to help anymore . . .

+1
    I was able to figure out that the previous owner had replaced the coil(s) pack and re-inserted the wires in the wrong order. Fixed that and cleaned up the contacts in the box and it fired first shot.

I had originally though this engine used wasted spark and not uniquely firing coils.

This is how I run a jetski shop in the desert nmpeter's Avatar
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by kingofl337 View Post
    I was able to figure out that the previous owner had replaced the coil(s) pack and re-inserted the wires in the wrong order. Fixed that and cleaned up the contacts in the box and it fired first shot.

I had originally though this engine used wasted spark and not uniquely firing coils.
    Pro Tip:

When you are talking about your skis issues, its always good to mention if it's new to you and if its not, how it was running before the issue appeared.

You got a good clue where to go, so we're all glad it worked out for you before you popped a resonator.

Don't push a backfiring polaris engine, nothing good come of it, and you'll create all sorts of side problem

Timing issues need to be solved, and not by a crank a thon.

Bet you felt pretty slick when you hit the button and the engine was running. I always do.

Thread Information