Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

+1

PWC Reliability..

Just seeing what everyone's thoughts are on general PWC reliability. I want to note that this is NOT a brand bashing post at all because ALL past and present manufactures have made idiot and questionable designs/ideas at some point however the same manufacturers have also had some home runs as well. It just seems that PWC's in general are unreliable, but why? And why can't a company make something that can last like a motorcycle or car.

My thoughts on it are the nature of what they run in as water can be a bitch sometimes, more so with saltwater. And also people that buy things and can't take care of them properly, but also wanted to see what others were thinking.. Thanks, and again while I have a favorite ALL brands have their issues. I just wish they could figure it out eventually.

+1
    I've pretty much seen every make and model over the last 13 years repairing them. Maintained skis that are not abused and are serviced and winterized properly will last. It seems most folks think that if it's still running then there's no maintenance that needs done. Case in point,....I just looked at an '04 Yamaha XLT1200 for a guy with no compression in the center cylinder, oil line popped off. I've seen it time and time again and that failure mode is COMPLETELY avoidable. Dirty carbs killing an engine......same thing, preventable with proper maintenance. I just had a guy this season bragging on his 2012 Yamaha VX Cruiser....he bought it slightly used and has NEVER had to do anything to it. It would barely Idle cause the spark plugs were shot and the oil was black as tar and 2 quarts low!!!

Reliability goes hand in hand with proper maintenance, period.

Bwaahahaaaa! No, they aren't reliable.

But with proper upkeep, you can mitigate some of the failures. But still, I wouldn't ride one across a lake of crocodiles for a million bucks. Have you ever noticed how superstitious we are about making sure or tow rope, anchor, and pathetic little paddle are in our skis? Might be more than Murphys law there.

Improper mods by people with very little mechanical skill doesn't help.

A customer base made up almost entirely of people that care about reliability as much as an Rv owner, doesn't help.

The idea of ''reliability'' might have sold two ski's last year. So why bother engineering a good product? Reprogram a Wendy's plastic frosty spork machine to spit out jetski hulls and give it a fancy name. Nobody seems to care.

Dealers that can barely stay afloat, because they didn't diversify their biz enough, ain't helping.
    Complete lack of technicians in those dealers.......ain't helping.

As for the ''motorcycle'' quip. My motorcycle laughs at 180mph. Street, and track riding barely stress it at all. The amount of time it spends at full throttle every year is measured in seconds, not minutes or hours. Nice warm dry garage helps. Not a fair comparison. Oh, and 100% of motorcycle owners, this side of Harleys, actually care about reliability and build quality. So manufacturers spend about a million times the effort there, to reach that.

Dirt bikes, and full on race bikes are almost as unreliable as jet skies. Almost.

You know why jetski's have such small fuel tanks?

So you don't take them anywhere that you can't just paddle back to shore.

4. +1 by:

+1
    I really like Buliwyf's thinking. I might also add that years ago one of the reasons I got out of snowmobiling was the lack of reliability. In as few of words as possible, here's my assessment of the PWC industry:

1) A PWC is an elective purchase so it is extremely price sensitive.

2) A PWC is the red headed step child of the motorsports world-techs generally hate working on them and dealers don't sell many of them (relative to bikes, ATVs, etc.). As a result the development of new techs is not adequate.

3) People only use a PWC about 30 hours a year so the masses don't have "a lot" of issues. Yes, people post problems on this forum but I contend they are the minority.

4) The engineering budgets for PWCs at Y, K, and BRP are small compared to their other products. There just are not the volumes of sales that there are in other vehicles so big budgets can't be justified.

The upshot is that there is a healthy aftermarket industry that has re-engineered many of the marginal components (intercoolers, SC washers, etc.). But, I don't see a new ski in my future because the basic hulls are getting weaker and unserviceable.
    Last edited by K447; 09-01-2020 at 08:42 AM.

6. +1 by:

Well I donít think they 4 stroke n/a models arenít reliable. I am at 228 hours and only had 1 issue. Thatís way better then my old 2strokes. We go out on full day excursions with put a paddle lol also I have an 80litre tank so that isnít small at all.
    Itís all in how you take care of them.
    I do agree with shitty techs at many dealers.
    Anyway that is my opinion.

MSX 150 guy lives on Mr. GP1800's Avatar
    +1
    Just buy a Yamaha. You can ride and not worry. Everyone I know who has one has hundreds of nearly trouble free hours on them

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr. GP1800 View Post
    Just buy a Yamaha. You can ride and not worry. Everyone I know who has one has hundreds of nearly trouble free hours on them
    HaHaHa!!! I know sarcasm when I see it..

MSX 150 guy lives on Mr. GP1800's Avatar
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by pro1200 View Post
    HaHaHa!!! I know sarcasm when I see it..

Not sarcasm at all. It’s truth.

Click avatar for tech links/info K447's Avatar
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr. GP1800 View Post
    ... Yamaha. ... hundreds of nearly trouble free hours ...

Two 2017 GP1800 SVHO. Each is getting close to 300 hours.

Oil + filter changes with Yamalube 4W oil every 50 hours.

Riva Stage 1 Plus tunes on both.

One supercharger clutch replaced at 222 hours, the other is still original.
    Clutch replacement was done in my garage, took a couple of hours.

Friends with the same year and model have had similar experiences.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	4552618C-218C-48BC-A0C2-C25843E85C54.jpeg 
Views:	114 
Size:	109.9 KB 
ID:	466631  

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by Buliwyf View Post
    I wouldn't ride one across a lake of crocodiles for a million bucks.
    What idiot would do that?

Oh...

Come on down to Florida, we got gators, snakes, sting rays, fire ants, sharks, jellyfish; everything needed for a good time.

13. +1 by:

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information