Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

White Smoke When Lowering Into Water

I've looked all over, but I can't find anything regarding white smoke when lowering the ski into the water.

When we start it out of the water it's fine.

You can see it toward the end of the video. Just put a new short block in. (spun bearing)

+1
    Probably just steam from exhaust almost melting since you were running that ski out of water for 50 seconds + however long it was running before the video started.

3. +1 by:

+1
    Why would you sit there running it for that long without the pump in the water?

Wow! Why were you running it so long out of the water like that . Then you pull it out and run it more ? You can melt the stock resonator that way and that’s a sure way to burn up your carbon seal ..

+1
    And then they want to blame on a carbon seal failure due a misaligned motor...

+1
    I wonder why the first bearing spun!!!!????? Best video of the day. Thanks for posting!!

Quote Originally Posted by Pacer View Post
    I wonder why the first bearing spun!!!!????? Best video of the day. Thanks for posting!!
    Well this was about useless.

Bearing spinning from running it out of the water for 5 seconds?

Whenever we lower it in it bogs down and dies.

Quote Originally Posted by lakeozark View Post
    I've looked all over, but I can't find anything regarding white smoke when lowering the ski into the water.

When we start it out of the water it's fine.

You can see it toward the end of the video. Just put a new short block in. (spun bearing)

So, to explain a bit more rather then just beat you up over it...

We cannot tell how long you had the ski running prior to starting the video. But in the video we run 55 seconds before you have the ski actually in the water. (meaning water is passing through the ski).
    By doing that you aren't letting any cooling exchange happen at all, and the ski can overheat really quickly and parts and become damaged.

Taking it back out of the water and keeping it running would do the same.

Even running on a hose to flush the ski for more then 90 seconds is too much.
    Proper flushing would be 1 min on the hose and then no more than 30 seconds dry.
    You were running for at least a min dry, and likely much more.

That white smoke only billows under load (when your in the water and the ski has to push water).
    It could be a lot of things but it's likely related to the ski overheating and something going wrong.

Did you have issues with the ski before running it out of the water this long? (between fixing the block and this)
    Who put the new block in?

10. +1 by:

I bought the ski with a blown engine. We bought a short block from SBT and put it in ourselves. Fired right up. Took it to the lake and when we lowered it in the water it started sputtering and smoking.

Quote Originally Posted by SIECIKSuc View Post
    So, to explain a bit more rather then just beat you up over it...

We cannot tell how long you had the ski running prior to starting the video. But in the video we run 55 seconds before you have the ski actually in the water. (meaning water is passing through the ski).
    By doing that you aren't letting any cooling exchange happen at all, and the ski can overheat really quickly and parts and become damaged.

Taking it back out of the water and keeping it running would do the same.

Even running on a hose to flush the ski for more then 90 seconds is too much.
    Proper flushing would be 1 min on the hose and then no more than 30 seconds dry.
    You were running for at least a min dry, and likely much more.

That white smoke only billows under load (when your in the water and the ski has to push water).
    It could be a lot of things but it's likely related to the ski overheating and something going wrong.

Did you have issues with the ski before running it out of the water this long? (between fixing the block and this)
    Who put the new block in?
    I bought the ski with a blown engine. We bought a short block from SBT and put it in ourselves. Fired right up. Took it to the lake and when we lowered it in the water it started sputtering and smoking.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information