Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

+1

2012 Sea Doo RXt-X as Problems, new ski to me

I'm hoping some of the experts here can help a new ski owner. I just bought a 2012 RXT-Xas this week with 138hrs. I knew the supercharger was not rebuilt so that was factored into the price. I took the ski for a test ride prior to purchasing and was only able to do a short top end run due to location. It seemed to run fine at that time and the boost gauge was showing full boost. When I got it home, I put it on the hose to flush it. I knew to start the ski first, then add water and reverse the process for shutdown. I revved the ski to about 4k on the hose per the Sea-Doo YouTube video. While doing so, I got a check engine light that popped on but then went away. No codes were stored long enough for me to see them.

Yesterday I took the ski out with my wife and daughter to have some fun. After about 20 minutes of slow to medium riding, I was trying to get up on plane and got a quick check engine light as I was increasing throttle. I came back down to idle and it went away. I dropped off my wife and daughter and went for some sport mode riding to see what was going on. In sport mode the ski is strong and pulls hard. I saw 8000rpm on the dash during throttle up but it came back down as speed picked up. While riding around I buried the throttle to get up on plane and again got another check engine light and it went into limp mode. Came back down off plane and it went back to normal and allowed me to ride another 20mins before I called it a day.

I flushed the ski last night and used salt away and washed the whole ski. I did flush some low pressure water into the bilge area to try and clean it up a bit. This morning I went out to the ski in the garage and noticed some oil in the bilge. I checked the engine oil and it's right between the low/high mark. Any ideas where this oil could be coming from? It appears to be the same color/consistency as motor oil but I'm not sure if there's anywhere else it could be leaking. I'm not sure if this was old oil that was spilled at some point and by flushing the bilge I loosened it up, or if I have a leak internally. I bought a service manual today and I was intending to dig into the bilge and clean it all out and replace any corroded clamps or worn hoses. Spark plugs look okay and compression is 125, 129, 130. Thanks in advance.

DISCLAIMER- The guy I bought the ski from only had it about 6 months and decided to buy a boat. He bought the ski from someone who had race skis so I'm not sure if the ski has any mods or not. There is some caulking of some type on the leading edge and sides of the ride plate.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_2772 copy.jpg 
Views:	614 
Size:	158.1 KB 
ID:	466182   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_3938 copy.jpg 
Views:	587 
Size:	79.7 KB 
ID:	466183  

+1
    PTO bearing seal is a very common oil leak source. Drive shaft goes into this bearing seal, so feel for oil right below it. Many times it only leaks while running.

part 46-48, magneto assembly w/ PTO cover

http://partsfinder.onlinemicrofiche....eadoopwc&a=420

Plugs foul out very easy and should be replaced every year along with oil/filter change.

O Reilly’s Auto parts sells them for only $2.49 each.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by jpt7779 View Post
    PTO bearing seal is a very common oil leak source. Drive shaft goes into this bearing seal, so feel for oil right below it. Many times it only leaks while running.

Plugs foul out very easy and should be replaced every year along with oil/filter change.

I actually bought 3 new plugs today.

+1

2012 Sea Doo RXt-X as Problems, new ski to me

Read out the faultcodes before riding again. Could be a temp. or oil pressure warning. Chances are you put your engine at risk......
    Either with BUDS at dealer or with the Candoo diagnostic tool.

Then revert back with these codes here. Many people here willing to help.
    However many could have tell you to walk away from any (older) suspension ski. Theyíre a PITA to work on......
    Last edited by EVN81; 08-22-2020 at 06:59 PM.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by EVN81 View Post
    Read out the faultcodes before riding again. Could be a temp. or oil pressure warning. Chances are you put your engine at risk......
    Either with BUDS at dealer or with the Candoo diagnostic tool.

Then revert back with these codes here. Many people here willing to help.
    However many could have tell you to walk away from any (older) suspension ski. They’re a PITA to work on......
    Thanks for the info. I’m more concerned about the oil leak right now but need to see what’s up with the check engine if it’s not related.

+1

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	F544AE2B-1822-4FE9-B3EE-92F7FA2AEC03.jpeg 
Views:	564 
Size:	49.5 KB 
ID:	466197  

+1

O Reillyís Auto parts sells them for only $2.49 each.
    By the looks of it, you called it. Used my endoscopy camera to get under it and I can see oil residue on the seal. So my next question is, how critical is this leak? Is this engine oil itís leaking or is there a separate reservoir inside the PTO? Iím wondering if I need to take this to my mechanic before I run it again or can it be run and just monitor? If the seal is leaking oil, Iím guessing water could be entering? Iím thinking I may just take it to the mechanic and have him fix it and remove the SC at the same time and send it in for rebuild.

+1
    Get a Shop Manual www.brpmanuals.com.

You can do this your self if you can read and have a set of metric tools! Remove the c clip on the drive shaft, then the pump, pull the drive shaft out, then cut the oetiker clamps off the PTO bearing and take it off. Install new parts in reverse order.

It is definitely engine oil and IS a critical leak. It will make a huge mess in the hull and you risk running the engine out of oil! The 2 o rings inside the bearing get brittle and the bearings seize up especially after long sit times. It is a $150 part.

Several of us here have had to change out the PTO bearing on older skis.

I would encourage you to do the work yourself vice pay the man.

+1
    Get a Shop Manual www.brpmanuals.com.

You can do this your self if you can read and have a set of metric tools! Remove the c clip on the drive shaft, then the pump, pull the drive shaft out, then cut the oetiker clamps off the PTO bearing and take it off. Install new parts in reverse order.

It is definitely engine oil and IS a critical leak. It will make a huge mess in the hull and you risk running the engine out of oil! The 2 o rings inside the bearing get brittle and the bearings seize up especially after long sit times. It is a $150 part.

Several of us here have had to change out the PTO bearing on older skis.
    Ok
    I would encourage you to do the work yourself vice pay the man.
    Thanks, I actually bought the shop manual a few days ago and have read thru some things. I am concerned about the alignment issue putting it back together. Is that an issue or am I thinking of another part? If you know of any threads with pictures or video of this process please share it. I’m definitely interested in getting inside my ski and learning about it first hand. If I have to pay the mechanic I’m going to ask to sit and watch and help so I can learn.

+1
    PM sent.

Alignment (engine to pump) is a separate issue and should be checked. The Shop Manual explains everything you could ever want to know about your ski. Poor alignment issues are indicated by excessive carbon ring wear, drive shaft problems, engine mount failures, etc.

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread Information