Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

2012 Sea Doo RXT-X 260 Inspection

Hi guys,

I am looking to purchase my first sea doo, and it is a used 2012 Sea Doo RXT-X 260 with 76 engine hours on it. Intercooler is replaced along with oil changes, etc. My question is this:

When I was looking into the engine bay, it seems like there's oil on some of the components (pictures attached). Moreover, in the coolant cap, there appears to be small tiny black flakes along the sides, possibly evidence of head gasket deterioration? I checked the oil cap and dipstick, and it looks very good. Do you guys think this is evidence of a soon-to-be head gasket failure?

From online reviews, I read that these are great and reliable machines. Have any of you had any major engine issues?

Thanks in advance!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG-2715.jpg 
Views:	209 
Size:	64.3 KB 
ID:	466149   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG-2716.jpg 
Views:	197 
Size:	52.7 KB 
ID:	466150   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG-2717.jpg 
Views:	184 
Size:	55.1 KB 
ID:	466151  

Click avatar for tech links/info K447's Avatar
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by Xerial View Post
    ... a used 2012 Sea Doo RXT-X 260 with 76 engine hours on it.
    Intercooler is replaced along with oil changes, etc. ...

... I read that these are great and reliable machines...
    Welcome.

When was the supercharger last rebuilt?

+1
    I would not pay attention to the black specs in the coolant bottle. The water passages throughout the motor are painted black and that paint flakes off.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by ptscon View Post
    I would not pay attention to the black specs in the coolant bottle. The water passages throughout the motor are painted black and that paint flakes off.

But, a coolant tank that will not remain full and has black specs inside, is definitely a head gasket leak.

+1
    A lake test is mandatory before $$$$ exchanged!
    You should see at WOT very close to 8040 rpm max and 68-70 mph with a GPS. The dash will round up the speed 1-2 mph. The SC has probably not been rebuilt, since it does not have 100 hours yet. If you purchase it the first thing I would do is get the SC rebuilt, oil& filter change, change spark plugs, tighten every bolt, nut, fastener you can get to. Get a Shop Manual here: www.brpmanuals.com.

6. +1 by:

+1
    I would do a compression test, and if you suspect any issues, do a leakdown test. I would also check the impeller and wear ring for damage and clearance. I've never seen black specks in the coolant even though the water passages are "painted" black. I dont think its actually paint, maybe powder coat? Could be dirt.

Hi all!

Thanks so much for the replies! I just made the purchase, after a lake test going WOT. Looking at the speedometer, I was hitting around 66 - 67 mph, but never over 67 mph. I suspect that is from the OEM speed limiter.

Regarding the coolant, it doesnt seem to have changed level during my 10 mins of testing (including lots of WOT pulls after engine is warm), so hopefully it is just paint flaking off and not the head gasket. I will report back after taking it out this weekend!

Thanks!

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by Xerial View Post
    Hi all!

Thanks so much for the replies! I just made the purchase, after a lake test going WOT. Looking at the speedometer, I was hitting around 66 - 67 mph, but never over 67 mph. I suspect that is from the OEM speed limiter.

Regarding the coolant, it doesnt seem to have changed level during my 10 mins of testing (including lots of WOT pulls after engine is warm), so hopefully it is just paint flaking off and not the head gasket. I will report back after taking it out this weekend!

Thanks!
    How is the ski holding up? FYI I have a few small tiny flakes in my coolant as well. Same year and model ski as you.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by tony97gt View Post
    How is the ski holding up? FYI I have a few small tiny flakes in my coolant as well. Same year and model ski as you.

I would get rid of it and go electric..

Well, after replacing a failed throttle body, the ski has been flawless. It's at 106 hours now (76 hours when bought) and not a single problem other than TB. I have already rebuilt supercharger, new wear ring, spark plugs and oil change as I like to stay on top of my maintenance. I ride both in choppy and flat water, lots of trails and recently started to do some wave jumping. I have to say this is a very reliable ski overall!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information