Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

(2) 2004 Polaris Virage I with little history

Hi Crew,

I knew I was getting into a project(s) with the Virage I's. But I am to the point of needing assistance. Let's start with the more hopeful unit #1.

We got #1 Up and running and starting consistently. However, it is consistently taking on water even on short trips around the lake. Have changed out the speedo pick-up (previous one had line broken off at the barb) and pressed grease into the drive bearing. Read last night about storing at a +10 degrees at the bow and know that last winter that did not happen so something to check on the stator cover (gassket compromised??). So ideas appreciated. I'd guess it picks up an inch in 10 minutes of operation. The real problem with #1 is it was running and performing great. Next time I go to take it out and the start and idle are fine, but acceleration and operation at higher throttle brings out a surging RPM reading at all times. I was able to get it to 40 mph but obviously not wanting to push it for long. Have had the same reaction 3 more short attempts to evaluate. In reading threads thinking the pressure regulator fell off but vice gripped the return line and problem was just as apparent. Now seeing fuel pump filter gunking up and suspicious if that is my deal. Any other macro thought since this came on out of nowhere? I had a low gas light warning on MFD but after adding clean fuel(Don't know what was in there before but a blend of old with 2.5 gallons of new fuel) that did not clear anything up.

Now the drama with #2
    We have no spark. Took the Ficht computer out and slapped it into #1 and it started #1 - so basically functional. Took the coil out and put that into #1 and it still started, so coil is good. Engine is turning over well. Must admit I am not hearing the fuel pump humm to life and not pulsing at the FI either. Played with the safety switch as well and seemed to be functional to the point we disconnected it and had no results, so we reassembled it and that is where we ran out of time. We have hooked up multiple batteries and all with the same result. MFD is functional and no codes displayed at this point. Most of the posts express they have spark so I have not learned much to this point about where to attack.

Also want to verify the torque specs for the cylinder heads and the FI Pumps.

Machines are up at the summer cottage 4 hours away so I may have response lags to ideas shared.

Appreciate your ideas! Summer time is valuable so appreciate your help in honing in as fast as possible.

Steve

Current machines are:
    04 MSX 140
    06 Honda F12X Turbo

+1
    Unit #1

The stator cover is on high on the list. You can connect a water hose to the water feed intake and look for leaks. The secondary exhaust resonator seam is known for splitting when there is a backfire--which is typically from a failing EMM. The seam that splits is usually the outside, up against the hull. So it is not visible without removing the resonator. It is below the water line, so it'll start leaking as soon as you float the boat.

You probably need to invest in a fuel pressure gauge and monitor the fuel pressure in the failed mode to confirm or eliminate fuel starvation as an issue. Here is a link to an affordable gauge.

+1
    Unit #2

Either you have hearing that is 100 times better than mine or what you think is the fuel pump running is actually the speedo drive motor, in the MFD, cycling the needle as part of the power up self test. It is a common mistake.

When cranking, does the MFD report any RPMs? Normally, it does. If it is not, the EMMis not receiving any RPM indication--likely the crank position sensor (CPS). The CPS can be checked with an ohmmeter. 100 - 150 ohms is typical.

Also, the EMM will not enable the fuel pump until it detects RPMs via the CPS.

You can obtain torque specs here.

I understand your anxious. However, you really don't want to be in a hurry---it'll just result in grief and a drain on your pocketbook. For example, ignoring reinforcing the fuel pressure regulator is an invitation to melted piston(s). I've bought them in the srping and let them sit in the warehouse until I could go throiugh them bow to stern in the winter. I have zero issues on the water the follwing summers.

Thank you for all the suggestions. Will buy a fuel gauge and start assessing RPM Reading while cranking. These suggestions will really help.

+1
    When you say surging RPM do you mean too high or fluctuating high to low?

Good point for me to illustrate better. It was oscillating up and down with the RPM of the engine. I could eventually get it up to speed despite the RPM battle but it was brutal and something is amiss. I just thought about checking the plugs, but either they are fouled or they are not. Once this started I added about 2.5 gallons of no ethanol fuel to the tank but that did not do anything.

MSX 150 guy lives on Mr. GP1800's Avatar
    +1
    I have all of the ficht diagnostic stuff if you ever want to use any of it.

I was out on the chain Thursday and rode by your place. You weren’t there but I saw your skis on the lifts.

Heading Up North to attempt some activities and suggested repairs on the 2 800's. I may try to log in and report findings if weather permits.

+1
    I hope they're on the trailer. With overnight lows in the 40s and even 30s, the water temp has plummeted. All mine came out of the lake Labor Day weekend. The lifts came out on Sunday afternoon. Blew down the lawn irrigation system this afternoon. I hate winter.

They are either on shore stations or on trailers. Lake temps will prevent any hard freeze for a bit. But 36 was definitely a wake up call! Will be up in a couple weeks to pull the dock and winterize and store the units. And winterize the cottage. Man that sounds like a ton of work!! Heading up tomorrow am as rain was going to come down all night long anyway.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread Information