Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Sounds great. I have the fitting from the hardware store so I will go ahead and address the regulator issue.

+1
    Mesh filter replacement, courtesy of bfarnam:

http://greenhulk.net/forums/showthread.php?t=288609

OK salvaging parts from #2 and that will likely remain a "parts" machine. So while I am awaiting a rebuild on the fuel pump mechanism for #1, I swapped fuel pump assembly from #2 (parts unit) into #1. Yes the pressure valve was attached and in place. I then moved the EMM from #2 to #1. I held my breath and it started on the first try while on the shore station. I then called a helpful neighbor over to keep an eye on me while doing a moving water test. I did not run it for more than 3-4 minutes and never went over 30 MPH. Some of the miss-firing/hesitation remained at higher RPM but was not evident at idle speeds. I will comment that the hesitation was considerably less pronounced than the status a couple weeks back. The RPMs were bouncing like a basketball and very pronounced 2 weeks ago. Recall, this unit ran fine and smooth one day and the next day it was this train wreck. The neighbor observed "a greater than normal" amount of exhaust visible from the back as well. So the issue is not 100% resolved. It is still underlying but considerably less pronounced than with the original EMM.

So it will remain on the Shorestation Up North for another 1-3 weeks until I go up and close the cottage. Since the underlying condition continues to exist, what would be the next logical steps to initiate? I don't want to "burn out" another EMM if that is what happened with the original unit.

Thank you for the filter reference. Clutch. I have also wandered from one auto parts store in Eagle River to the next searching for the banded fuel line clips. They had larger ones but not ones that would fit the fuel regulator. And I struggled for FI fuel lines size as well.

Thanks everyone for helping to keep this unit on the water.

+1
    The clamps are Oetiker. You can find them in small quantities on Amazon. You'll probably want to start on McMaster-Carr's web site. They have an excellent chart that denotes the size range, part numbers, etc. I don't believe they offer them in anything less than packs of 25, however. But, you can obtain the part number there and then search for them in smaller quantities.

Do you need fuel hose, also?

Actually, your Virage is are my favorite ski. Obviously, I've had a few. I find their simple to work on and once gone through, very reliable. Unless the hulls are cosmetically poor, I wouldn't part one out.

I will worry about FI replacement lines next spring once I have it running smoothly. I am still looking for ideas for the hesitation during acceleration. Do members feel that once I switch over the appropriate fuel injectors that the issue will resolve itself? Why do I have unusual exhaust characteristics? Why do I have rpm variation at all? This seems to suggest more of a fuel delivery or electrical issue.

Thoughts? Next steps?

MSX 150 guy lives on Mr. GP1800's Avatar
    +1
    Ijust read through this whole thread. I see no mention of changing spark plugs. These ficht motors do weird things and sometimes it’s just the spark plugs. Always keep a new set of plugs on hand. It’s the easiest thing to try before digging deeper into diagnostics. These are also very finicky when it comes to having the correct plugs. NGK only. Some people have luck with the champion plugs and I think Polaris used them one year. Cross reference plugs from the auto parts store do not work.

7. +1 by:

+1
    Mr. GP1800 makes a good point. If you have a spark plug that is intermittent, that would cause the surging, change of RPM and hesitation you complain of. From your previous posts, I had assumed your level of expertise was that you would know a cylinder was dropping in/out.

I'm one of those Champion guys. I've never cared for NGK plugs and have frequently encountered issues with them. I've been running Champion QC10PEP in all my direct injection watercraft since I purchased the first new in 2004 and had trouble with an NGK fouling immediately.

Good call out. I think I was so busy pulling the plugs in and out of the other unit it simply felt like I had done that on this unit when indeed I had not. I have used NGK PZFR6H-7696 in the past and will take those up with me unless you advise a different number. Also, I found a pair of Champion QC10PEP in some old heads from a long ago unit that is long gone in partsville. I will have them as well. I hope that it is obvious when I pull the plugs and replace them with fresh ones that the issue resolves itself. I may want to verify the gap especially with the used ones.

Thanks for your help and expertise. I will be going up this weekend to pull the shorestations, piers, winterize the PWCs, and winterize the cottage so I will be busy.

Fellas, its not the plugs. still have the same issues.
    Could it be the TPS? Anything else I can report back on for this last weekend Up North?

Ok another update. As i was driving it across the lake to remove for the season, the hesitation suddenly cured itself for the most part. Suddenly it started to run cleanly although I was hesitant to push too hard with the EMM and FI not matched currently. So I either have an intermittent issue or one that possibly resolved itself (water or air in fuel lines???). So as we prepare for storage, I need to consider next steps in this process. Come Spring:

I have a fuel pump that will have a modified regulator to replace in the tank
    I have a secondary EMM in the unit with unmatched FI currently
    So do I go back to the original EMM? OR do I swap out the Fuel Injectors from the other unit?

Thanks for the recommendations as we prepare to go into the off-season.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread Information