Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

EXCITED about getting new 2021 Yamaha FX WaveRunner, SVHO or HO?

Hey Everyone! I am 17 years old, and I worked a bunch over the summer and saved enough money to get my first ever Jet ski. Ever since I was young I always loved the water, but my family has never really been into boating. So I am finally so EXCITED to say I am getting a new 2021 Yamaha WaveRunner. I HAVE ONE PROBLEM

My problem is I cant decide on which one to get. I have done a bunch of research and I am down to two skies.

Yamaha FX Cruiser SVHO
    Yamaha FX Cruiser

So Basically the same ski, but one supercharged. Obviously the supercharged one looks cooler from the first glance, but after talking to my good friend who works on engines for a living, he quickly warned me how much stress the superchargers put on the engine and makes it more susceptible to break. Also I have definitely thought about the gas consumption difference too, but the MAIN part that worries me is the reliability.

Just wanted to get some OPINIONS and maybe some first hand responses of people who have owned supercharged ones vs naturally aspirated.

Thank you so much!!

Click avatar for tech links/info K447's Avatar
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by gabepearson54 View Post
    Hey Everyone! I am 17 years old, and I worked a bunch over the summer and saved enough money to get my first ever Jet ski. Ever since I was young I always loved the water, but my family has never really been into boating. So I am finally so EXCITED to say I am getting a new 2021 Yamaha WaveRunner. I HAVE ONE PROBLEM

My problem is I cant decide on which one to get. I have done a bunch of research and I am down to two skies.

Yamaha FX Cruiser SVHO
    Yamaha FX Cruiser

So Basically the same ski, but one supercharged. Obviously the supercharged one looks cooler from the first glance, but after talking to my good friend who works on engines for a living, he quickly warned me how much stress the superchargers put on the engine and makes it more susceptible to break. Also I have definitely thought about the gas consumption difference too, but the MAIN part that worries me is the reliability.

Just wanted to get some OPINIONS and maybe some first hand responses of people who have owned supercharged ones vs naturally aspirated.

Thank you so much!!
    Welcome.

Do you have some experience riding PWC?

Where are you located? What kinds of water would you be riding (rivers, large lakes, ocean)?

Riding solo or carrying passenger(s)?

Yamaha changed the FX hull design a couple of years ago. The new FX hull rides differently from the previous generation. Reports are that it is a wet ride with frequent splashes coming over the bow in non-calm water.

Would you be doing your own maintenance and servicing?

Are there PWC riding groups nearby that you could ride with and learn from?

+1
    but after talking to my good friend who works on engines for a living, he quickly warned me how much stress the superchargers put on the engine and makes it more susceptible to break.
    This is false. These SVHO engines are barely working hard with the supercharger, nobody is breaking engines because of it.

With that out of the way, if this is your first ski I would start with the HO.

Yamaha FX Cruiser SVHO
    Yamaha FX Cruiser
    Both skis are great options, however, if you have never ridden a PWC before, then jumping right to an SVHO isn't the best idea, but then again you will eventually get used to the power it provides. I previously had older two stroke skis, rode those for three years and just upgraded to a 2020 GP1800R SVHO a month ago, and even that jump alone is still requiring me to adjust how I ride. The SVHO skis are no joke, they throw you back when you hit the throttle, you could easily get hurt if you don't know what you're doing with one of these machines.

If you have never ridden a ski before, the FX Cruiser would be a good choice, but if you want to go fast and have very quick acceleration that will scare you for a while, SVHO is the way to go. In terms of reliability, these SVHO motors are pretty bulletproof in stock form, the only common issue is supercharger clutches failing, which you can buy a blow off valve for around $350, a bov reduces the amount of stress on the supercharger clutch, prolonging its life. If you do end up getting an SVHO ski, and don't plan on doing any extensive modding for more speed, I'd recommend taking out the extended warranty for that extra peace of mind if you worry about stuff breaking.

One of the biggest things that surprised me about my SVHO, is how the fuel consumption was no where near as bad as I thought. Yes a supercharged ski will burn much more fuel than a non supercharged ski, but it all depends on how you ride. If you just like to cruise, hangout, and go fast every now and then, you won't be burning fuel like crazy. Now if you ride balls to the wall constantly, then yes the fuel consumption will be much greater. I personally ride more casually, but I do like to run my ski hard. I have yet to use more than a half tank of gas for a several hour day on the water, which results in spending around $25-$30 in fuel (93 octane) every time I take it out.

Overall for your first ski, id recommend the FX Cruiser, and not the SVHO. The SVHO is one of the most powerful skis on the market, and for your first ski, it's very overkill, but don't let anyone's words stop you. If you want the SVHO, get it!

+1
    Originally Posted by gabepearson54

Yamaha FX Cruiser SVHO
    Yamaha FX Cruiser

but after talking to my good friend who works on engines for a living, he quickly warned me how much stress the superchargers put on the engine and makes it more susceptible to break. Also I have definitely thought about the gas consumption difference too, but the MAIN part that worries me is reliability !!

hello Gabe, with all due respect to your friend the information, he is providing you with is quite in accurate picture in regards to the engine of a supercharged Yamaha. I run a high boost on my engine, and it has over 200 hours on it, look at my signature and you’ll see what I have done to the engine.You are a very young man and I think with that ...you would like to have more of a challenge most likely. With that in mind I was suggest a supercharged SVHOFX. As far as the fuel consumption, it is not bad at all. Now if you get into the throttle often and you are racing it around on the lake or in the ocean then you will be using a quite a bit of fuel. Don’t forget that the engine has a valet button, so you can drop the horsepower on the engine and make it a little tamer till you get used to the ski.,
    I think if you do not buy a supercharged ski you will regret it later down the road.

You have worked hard Gabe this summer, now it’s time to play hard. Get yourself the SVHO

you take care hope you buy the Svho.
    C j
    Last edited by cjk6119; 08-20-2020 at 12:45 PM.

+1
    Get the SVHO, take it easy, learn the ski. You will want more power when you become accustomed to how it rides.

I would look for a used 2015+ Yamaha VX as your first ski, It pretty much has the same technology the newer skis have (Ride and other features depending on model) You don't want to make stupid rookie owner mistakes on a new $14k+ machine... Once you get comfortable riding and know what NOT to do, then upgrade to a new model. Just my 2c...

Lake Lion
    +1
    Get the SVHO with extended 5 year warranty.

+1
    If you worked your butt off to save that money and you want to spend it all in a ski don’t go and buy someone else’s headache.
    No one ever said I have too much power. A lot of people that bought the HO model wished they would’ve bought the SVHO.
    If you have the $$ and it is what you want go for the SVHO, you won’t regret it.

10. +1 by:

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike1646 View Post
    If you worked your butt off to save that money and you want to spend it all in a ski don’t go and buy someone else’s headache.
    No one ever said I have too much power. A lot of people that bought the HO model wished they would’ve bought the SVHO.
    If you have the $$ and it is what you want go for the SVHO, you won’t regret it.
    Exactly!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information