Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Blown Supercharger on 08 Ultra 250x need advice

Hello, So I need some advice on my recently purchased ultra 250x in very good condition with 70 hours. I bought it a 2 months ago for 5200$ with a like new 2012 caravan trailer. Never ran right from the start, Starts right up but never got full speed maybe 50mph and rpms were jumpy and boost would bounce around at lower rpm. Changed plugs, cleaned intercooler and no change. Last time I took it out it ran ok, till it started loosing all power and would die out, had to limp back to shore. Could not figure it out.. Took it to a dealer and just got the news the supercharger is blown, didn't have enough oil, and all the bearings went. They say motor is strong. Haven't got a price yet but from what I see it can be anywhere from 2500-3000. I don't know if I want to put that much into a 08 because it's only worth 5k. What should I do? Pay and hope it lasts, or just wait till next year and get a new one. Any advice is appreciated thanks.

Formerly Ultra250 TN Aquaholic6801's Avatar
    +1
    You answered your own question...

3. +1 by:

Yeah that's what I figured. What should I do with the thing, part it out?
    Quote Originally Posted by Aquaholic6801 View Post
    You answered your own question...

+1
    There are so many known problems with the Ultra 250/260 Jetskis. Investing $3K might be a big mistake, especially since it never ran right since you got it. Until it's repaired, you won't know if there are other issues. If you can do the work yourself, buy a used S/C for $1K. Otherwise, parting it out might be the best idea. You'd get about half of your original investment just for the motor. The intercooler, jet pump, ECU and even the bad S/C will each get you a few hundred dollars. With a little time and effort, you'd get back most of your money to put towards a better ski.

6. +1 by:

Thanks for the input, Yeah I really don't want to get the S/C fixed and have more issues. I'm gonna part it out eventually. Thank you
    Quote Originally Posted by grumpy_steven View Post
    There are so many known problems with the Ultra 250/260 Jetskis. Investing $3K might be a big mistake, especially since it never ran right since you got it. Until it's repaired, you won't know if there are other issues. If you can do the work yourself, buy a used S/C for $1K. Otherwise, parting it out might be the best idea. You'd get about half of your original investment just for the motor. The intercooler, jet pump, ECU and even the bad S/C will each get you a few hundred dollars. With a little time and effort, you'd get back most of your money to put towards a better ski.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by Ultra150Gw View Post
    my recently purchased ultra 250x in very good condition with 70 hours. I bought it a 2 months ago for 5200$ with a like new 2012 caravan trailer. Never ran right from the start, Starts right up but never got full speed maybe 50mph and rpms were jumpy and boost would bounce around at lower rpm.... Took it to a dealer and just got the news the supercharger is blown, didn't have enough oil, and all the bearings went. Haven't got a price yet but from what I see it can be anywhere from 2500-3000. I don't know if I want to put that much into a 08 because it's only worth 5k. What should I do?
    -------------------------------------
    Sorry to hear of your unfortunate situation. Some guys have had either "great" luck with the early model SC'd (supercharged) Kawasaki's or horrible luck. It's quite possible the previous owner was in the latter sub-set.

I would seriously consider pulling the SC off of the engine, and having new bearings installed by a local shop with a press, if you decide to send it off to a SC'er shop you're obviously gonna pay more for their specialized service. If I was gonna keep the machine - I would probably do this - but.......

After your supercharger is hopefully returned to service - add the required amount of oil, re-bolt that puppy on, and use the special tool to set your belt tension and then clean and detail up your ski to make it look like a "Garage Kept" Machine.

I would then proceed to take it to a "different dealership" and trade it in on a new Kawasaki Jet-Ski with the Kawasaki Manufacturer's Warranty.

On all my Kawasaki's - I have purchased the Kawasaki Extended Warranty for a total of 5 years of warranty supported by the manufacturer - and ironically have yet to use it.

It sounds to me like you purchased someone else's problematic machine and by doing this - you will "minimize" aggravation and "maximize" Your Fun-Factor.

You can get some good deals on a left over (2020) Kawasaki Jet-Ski - after the new models (2021's) are released - if there's any 2020's even left out there now.

IMO this is probably your best option - as parting that thing - in the grand scheme of things - does not sound like fun.

Good Luck !!!

9. +1 by:

Let me out of here......I need to go on Greenhulk!
    +1
    The rotors are teflon coated which tends to flake off when subjected to salt water and poor post ride care. The rotors are not available separately but there was/is a guy who was able to refinish them. I personally only know one guy who had them done he didnt have a good experience. Just another thing to look out for

11. +1 by:

Thanks you for the advice! The dealer told me kawi does not offer rebuild kits or anything like that and it would have to be replaced as a whole. I'm sure they can be done by somebody. I'm definitely gonna do some research and see if I can do that. Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Spooling View Post
    -------------------------------------
    Sorry to hear of your unfortunate situation. Some guys have had either "great" luck with the early model SC'd (supercharged) Kawasaki's or horrible luck. It's quite possible the previous owner was in the latter sub-set.

I would seriously consider pulling the SC off of the engine, and having new bearings installed by a local shop with a press, if you decide to send it off to a SC'er shop you're obviously gonna pay more for their specialized service. If I was gonna keep the machine - I would probably do this - but.......

After your supercharger is hopefully returned to service - add the required amount of oil, re-bolt that puppy on, and use the special tool to set your belt tension and then clean and detail up your ski to make it look like a "Garage Kept" Machine.

I would then proceed to take it to a "different dealership" and trade it in on a new Kawasaki Jet-Ski with the Kawasaki Manufacturer's Warranty.

On all my Kawasaki's - I have purchased the Kawasaki Extended Warranty for a total of 5 years of warranty supported by the manufacturer - and ironically have yet to use it.

It sounds to me like you purchased someone else's problematic machine and by doing this - you will "minimize" aggravation and "maximize" Your Fun-Factor.

You can get some good deals on a left over (2020) Kawasaki Jet-Ski - after the new models (2021's) are released - if there's any 2020's even left out there now.

IMO this is probably your best option - as parting that thing - in the grand scheme of things - does not sound like fun.

Good Luck !!!

This is how I run a jetski shop in the desert nmpeter's Avatar
    +1
    get one from a blown up ski, get the engine running and sell it quick

oh wait..

didn't I say that just today?

14. +1 by:

That's the plan. I'm probably gonna take it to a dealer and see what I can get. Don't want someone else to have any issues.
    Quote Originally Posted by nmpeter View Post
    get one from a blown up ski, get the engine running and sell it quick

oh wait..

didn't I say that just today?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information