Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    +1

2021 Yamaha GP1800R info and modifications discussion thread!

I thought this new ski deserved it's own thread to discuss this new platform and modifications and results.

Here's an overview video that RIVA put together showing the new features of this exciting new ski

We've been hearing the rumors all year about a new GP1800, well I'm pleased to say the rumors are true. It's here guys and I'm happy to introduce you to the new GP1800R SVHO and GP1800R HO

The new GP features an all new top deck design with deeper, wider, self draining footwells.This new top deck gives us much better rider ergonomics and a muscular looking performance inspired look. If you look at the side profile, it has styling cues that look to be a mix of the old GP1300R and the FZ, I absolutely love the look! The new seat is 1.5" narrower than previous years which improves knee grip and overall comfort, especially when charging into tight corners.

The new GP has enhanced acceleration and better hook up due to the new intake grate design and upgrades in the pump area. Yamaha has finally given us a true 160mm transom plate. As many of you are aware, any previous SVHO ski had a 155mm transom plate giving us a 5mm ridge where the transom plate met the 160mm wear ring/liner. Guys, I cannot tell you how much difference the grate and larger transom plate have made over the 2017-2020 GP's. This ski rockets off a hard launch and the mid range acceleration is insane. It is a very notable difference over the previous years. Of course, these changes greatly improve hookup also.
    Here's a couple of pictures showing the differences over the 2019-2020 grate vs the 2021 grate

Click this bar to view the full image.

Click this bar to view the full image.

Yamaha made a smart move and they placed the fuel tank further back 88mm and it sits lower in the hull moving the center of gravity down and more aft giving the ski a lighter and more responsive feel. Anyone that has spent any amount of time on the previous GP will notice this improvement in handling right away.

One of my favorite features is the new adaptable steering system with tilt adjustable exposed design handlebars. We are talking a HUGE improvement over the handlebars of the previous model years.

Yamaha still gives us the RiDE throttle control system on the GP platform. RiDE is very intuitive and makes maneuvering in tight spaces and around the dock stress free. Squeeze the right handlebar lever to go forward, squeeze the left lever for reverse. At speed, the left lever acts as a brake and slows you down. It couldn't be easier!
    For 2021, Yamaha has taken RiDE one step further with "Drive Control!" Drive Control gives us an Auto Trim feature with cornering control and launch control. This is an industry first. This upgrade is only available on the GP1800R SVHO and GP1800R HO models. Auto trim works independently from the electric trim control on the handlebars. When Drive Control is activated, when turning the bars into a corner, and lifting off the throttle a little bit to set the bow for a hard turn, the nozzle automatically trims down, driving you harder through the turn, as you straighten the bars to accelerate out of the corner the nozzle trims up automatically for you. When you come to a stop, the nozzle trims all the way down for you to make sure you are ready for your next launch. These functions happen automatically to bring new levels of handling and performance riding to racer and recreational riders alike. This feature makes a good rider a GREAT rider and it's all done electronically using the skis RiDE system. I want to note, that you still have the ability to adjust trim up and down manually while in Drive Control mode.

Not only does the new GP give us better performance and handling, this new design gives us 15% increased storage capacity. It also features an upgraded high strength plastic hinge and damper on the hood assembly. If you need even more storage space, the storage capacity under the seat is larger and comes with a water resistant box for clothing and valuables that need to stay dry.

The 2021 GP comes with the new 4.3" Connext Helm Control color display. A touch pad control that is mounted next to the steering column provides convenient access to the Connext systems many functions that include a PIN code security system that eliminates the need for an external remote fob. This new system has DRIVE Control that allows the rider to set the top speed at different increments along with setting the acceleration curve from normal to slow.

For the first time ever, the GP now has an available factory installed custom integrated marine audio system with twin 4.5" fully waterproof marine speakers and a integrated 2 channel (50 watts per channel) amplifier. Easy access control pad and integrated low voltage regulatory to protect the battery. The audio system will shut itself off before the battery gets too low to restart the ski. The sound system sounds great! It's plenty loud enough to hear it clearly at cruising speeds and it easily connected to my phone with BlueTooth in seconds.

2021 GP SERIES SPECIFICATIONS

Engine Type: Supercharged 4-cylinder, 4-stroke, Super Vortex High Output Yamaha Marine Engine (GP1800R SVHO); 4-stroke, 4-cylinder, 1.8L High Output Yamaha Marine Engine (GP1800R HO)

Displacement: 1812CC
    Impeller: 3-blade, stainless steel
    Length: 131.9
    Beam: 48.8
    Height: 47.2
    Fuel Capacity: 18.5 gallons
    Person Capacity: 3 persons
    Hull Material: NanoXcel 2

Assembled: Yamaha Motor Manufacturing Corporation of America, Newnan, Georgia

+1
    Last edited by John F.; 08-17-2020 at 09:53 PM. Reason: Posted in wrong thread

So if the lower hull is unchanged from previous years, does that mean the new transom plate and intake grate will bolt up to the '17-'20 GPs?

So would getting a new 2021 OEM intake grate or a Gen 2 Riva grate on a 2020 GP be a worthwhile upgrade?

I would also like to know if the transom plate will bolt up to older models?

+1
    Greenhulk addressed this in original thread.

Quote Originally Posted by Green Hulk View Post
    It absolutely will fit all 17-20 GP's but you will still want the new Riva gen2 grate
    https://www.4-tecperformance.com/ind...oducts_id=6702

Im coming over to the darkside! Already Reserved one In Blue and My 300 will be sold Soon or traded in this fall.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by Winni300 View Post

Im coming over to the darkside! Already Reserved one In Blue and My 300 will be sold Soon or traded in this fall.
    You’re not coming over to the Darkside, you’re leaving the Darkside. Welcome

Quote Originally Posted by Winni300 View Post

I did see that, but I wasn't sure if he was referring to it being an upgrade over the 2017-2018 grate with the non-top loader design or if it was also an upgrade over the 2019-2020 top loader.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by ws6ryan View Post
    So if the lower hull is unchanged from previous years, does that mean the new transom plate and intake grate will bolt up to the '17-'20 GPs?
    Quote Originally Posted by Tricky View Post
    I would also like to know if the transom plate will bolt up to older models?

Yes it sure will

Quote Originally Posted by BuckWallace View Post
    So would getting a new 2021 OEM intake grate or a Gen 2 Riva grate on a 2020 GP be a worthwhile upgrade?

I would absolutely go with the Riva intake grate. The stock grate is aluminum and very weak. While it's strong enough for a stock ski, you won't want to trust it on a modified ski going 80+ mph

Quote Originally Posted by Green Hulk View Post
    I would absolutely go with the Riva intake grate. The stock grate is aluminum and very weak. While it's strong enough for a stock ski, you won't want to trust it on a modified ski going 80+ mph
    Great, thanks for the reply. Is the only benefit of the Gen 2 over the OEM top-loader the strength? I basically want to know if I'm keeping it stock for a while and then maybe just going with a Stage 1 tune, would the Gen 2 provide any noticeable performance increase over the OEM grate. Thanks in advance!

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread Information