Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

FX SVHO'15 preventing chain/timing failure

Hello all

My ski is always professionally serviced as per the manual in a great mechanic. Not tuned, only some Riva goodies (air power intake kit, breather and intake manifold upgrade). I will also install a Solas impeller 13/20.
    I read in about the '15 models sometimes show chain or timing failures. Is there a way to prevent this beyond a very good maintenance?

Thank you

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by Interim View Post
    Hello all

My ski is always professionally serviced as per the manual in a great mechanic. Not tuned, only some Riva goodies (air power intake kit, breather and intake manifold upgrade). I will also install a Solas impeller 13/20.
    I read in about the '15 models sometimes show chain or timing failures. Is there a way to prevent this beyond a very good maintenance?

Thank you

Yes upgrading to the newer chain.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by Interim View Post
    Hello all

Thank you
    There is no real way of trying to prevent a timing chain failing on this particular year. The problem with the chain on this particular year is it was not designed properly, the new chain is wider and is able to handle wear better over time. You could always upgrade the timing chain but that is a costly adventure. My suggestion to you is to keep on doing the proper service and at the proper intervals. That is all you could do for now. Just enjoy your ski. I personally don’t think upgrading these expensive parts and labor is effective way of dealing with this weak part of the ski. Many people are getting up to 150 hours with these old style timing chains.. If you keep an eye on it by having your mechanic inspect it you should be OK. Then when it becomes an issue, before it breaks have the chain replaced.

I am just curious, how many hours do you have on this ski?
    Have you had your mechanic inspect the chain?
    Do you ride this JetSki very hard?

There is one thing that you might want to ask your technician to do and that is, to check the condition of the chain by removing the valve cover of the engine and look for stretched links or broken links and he could guide you from there on its condition and what to do.
    Take care
    CJ
    Last edited by cjk6119; 08-16-2020 at 07:39 AM.

Lake Lion
    +1
    Do what 1_Fast_SHO said. Which includes cam gears and guides.

+1
    I have a 14 fx svho and every oil change I check my chain.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by hdlefler View Post
    I have a 14 fx svho and every oil change I check my chain.
    How many hours do you have on your ski, and are you considering replacing the timing chain at this time?

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by cjk6119 View Post
    How many hours do you have on your ski, and are you considering replacing the timing chain at this time?
    I have 177 hrs. and not planning on replacing it. If it has not broken yet then I should be ok. I still inspect it though. I don't trust it. I actually been going through clutches recently at an alarming rate.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by hdlefler View Post
    I have 177 hrs. and not planning on replacing it. If it has not broken yet then I should be ok. I still inspect it though. I don't trust it. I actually been going through clutches recently at an alarming rate.
    Do you contribute the 177 hours of longevity of your timing chain to good preventative maintenance and consistent oil changes?

9. +1 by:

+1
    Do you contribute the 177 hours of longevity of your timing chain to good preventative maintenance and consistent oil changes?
    No, I think I'm just lucky. lol.

There is no real way of trying to prevent a timing chain failing on this particular year. The problem with the chain on this particular year is it was not designed properly, the new chain is wider and is able to handle wear better over time. You could always upgrade the timing chain but that is a costly adventure. My suggestion to you is to keep on doing the proper service and at the proper intervals. That is all you could do for now. Just enjoy your ski. I personally donít think upgrading these expensive parts and labor is effective way of dealing with this weak part of the ski. Many people are getting up to 150 hours with these old style timing chains.. If you keep an eye on it by having your mechanic inspect it you should be OK. Then when it becomes an issue, before it breaks have the chain replaced.

I am just curious, how many hours do you have on this ski?
    Have you had your mechanic inspect the chain?
    Do you ride this JetSki very hard?

There is one thing that you might want to ask your technician to do and that is, to check the condition of the chain by removing the valve cover of the engine and look for stretched links or broken links and he could guide you from there on its condition and what to do.
    Take care
    CJ
    Thank you for this. I have 75hrs, usage is not always throttle on. I typically ride in open sea about 40-50mph on average for long distances. I havent asked him to do this, I will ask as I just put it in the garage now for servicing.

Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread Information