Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 68
  1. #1
    Interim's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2020
    Location
    NYC - Germany - Greece
    Posts
    16

    FX SVHO'15 preventing chain/timing failure

    Hello all

    My ski is always professionally serviced as per the manual in a great mechanic. Not tuned, only some Riva goodies (air power intake kit, breather and intake manifold upgrade). I will also install a Solas impeller 13/20.
    I read in about the '15 models sometimes show chain or timing failures. Is there a way to prevent this beyond a very good maintenance?

    Thank you


  2. #2
    1_Fast_SHO's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Houston, Texas
    Posts
    3,947
    +1
    463
    Quote Originally Posted by Interim View Post
    Hello all

    My ski is always professionally serviced as per the manual in a great mechanic. Not tuned, only some Riva goodies (air power intake kit, breather and intake manifold upgrade). I will also install a Solas impeller 13/20.
    I read in about the '15 models sometimes show chain or timing failures. Is there a way to prevent this beyond a very good maintenance?

    Thank you

    Yes upgrading to the newer chain.

  3. #3

    Join Date
    Nov 2018
    Location
    North Carolina on Jordan Lake
    Posts
    627
    +1
    82
    Quote Originally Posted by Interim View Post
    Hello all

    My ski is always professionally serviced as per the manual in a great mechanic. Not tuned, only some Riva goodies (air power intake kit, breather and intake manifold upgrade). I will also install a Solas impeller 13/20.
    I read in about the '15 models sometimes show chain or timing failures. Is there a way to prevent this beyond a very good maintenance?

    Thank you
    There is no real way of trying to prevent a timing chain failing on this particular year. The problem with the chain on this particular year is it was not designed properly, the new chain is wider and is able to handle wear better over time. You could always upgrade the timing chain but that is a costly adventure. My suggestion to you is to keep on doing the proper service and at the proper intervals. That is all you could do for now. Just enjoy your ski. I personally don’t think upgrading these expensive parts and labor is effective way of dealing with this weak part of the ski. Many people are getting up to 150 hours with these old style timing chains.. If you keep an eye on it by having your mechanic inspect it you should be OK. Then when it becomes an issue, before it breaks have the chain replaced.

    I am just curious, how many hours do you have on this ski?
    Have you had your mechanic inspect the chain?
    Do you ride this JetSki very hard?

    There is one thing that you might want to ask your technician to do and that is, to check the condition of the chain by removing the valve cover of the engine and look for stretched links or broken links and he could guide you from there on its condition and what to do.
    Take care
    CJ
    Last edited by cjk6119; 08-16-2020 at 07:39 AM.

  4. #4
    Lake Lion
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Dirty Jerzey
    Posts
    1,358
    +1
    245
    Do what 1_Fast_SHO said. Which includes cam gears and guides.

  5. #5
    hdlefler's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Wesley Chapel, Fl
    Posts
    1,023
    +1
    119
    I have a 14 fx svho and every oil change I check my chain.

  6. #6

    Join Date
    Nov 2018
    Location
    North Carolina on Jordan Lake
    Posts
    627
    +1
    82
    Quote Originally Posted by hdlefler View Post
    I have a 14 fx svho and every oil change I check my chain.
    How many hours do you have on your ski, and are you considering replacing the timing chain at this time?

  7. #7
    hdlefler's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Wesley Chapel, Fl
    Posts
    1,023
    +1
    119
    Quote Originally Posted by cjk6119 View Post
    How many hours do you have on your ski, and are you considering replacing the timing chain at this time?
    I have 177 hrs. and not planning on replacing it. If it has not broken yet then I should be ok. I still inspect it though. I don't trust it. I actually been going through clutches recently at an alarming rate.

  8. #8

    Join Date
    Nov 2018
    Location
    North Carolina on Jordan Lake
    Posts
    627
    +1
    82
    Quote Originally Posted by hdlefler View Post
    I have 177 hrs. and not planning on replacing it. If it has not broken yet then I should be ok. I still inspect it though. I don't trust it. I actually been going through clutches recently at an alarming rate.
    Do you contribute the 177 hours of longevity of your timing chain to good preventative maintenance and consistent oil changes?

  9. +1 by:


  10. #9
    hdlefler's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Wesley Chapel, Fl
    Posts
    1,023
    +1
    119
    Quote Originally Posted by cjk6119 View Post
    Do you contribute the 177 hours of longevity of your timing chain to good preventative maintenance and consistent oil changes?
    No, I think I'm just lucky. lol.

  11. #10
    Interim's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2020
    Location
    NYC - Germany - Greece
    Posts
    16
    Quote Originally Posted by cjk6119 View Post
    There is no real way of trying to prevent a timing chain failing on this particular year. The problem with the chain on this particular year is it was not designed properly, the new chain is wider and is able to handle wear better over time. You could always upgrade the timing chain but that is a costly adventure. My suggestion to you is to keep on doing the proper service and at the proper intervals. That is all you could do for now. Just enjoy your ski. I personally donít think upgrading these expensive parts and labor is effective way of dealing with this weak part of the ski. Many people are getting up to 150 hours with these old style timing chains.. If you keep an eye on it by having your mechanic inspect it you should be OK. Then when it becomes an issue, before it breaks have the chain replaced.

    I am just curious, how many hours do you have on this ski?
    Have you had your mechanic inspect the chain?
    Do you ride this JetSki very hard?

    There is one thing that you might want to ask your technician to do and that is, to check the condition of the chain by removing the valve cover of the engine and look for stretched links or broken links and he could guide you from there on its condition and what to do.
    Take care
    CJ
    Thank you for this. I have 75hrs, usage is not always throttle on. I typically ride in open sea about 40-50mph on average for long distances. I havent asked him to do this, I will ask as I just put it in the garage now for servicing.

Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. Preventing SVHO Timing Chain Failure!
    By RonJon in forum Yamaha PWC Performance (4-stroke)
    Replies: 82
    Last Post: 12-09-2019, 07:43 PM
  2. 2014 Yamaha FZS SVHO Another Timing Chain Failure
    By speak2joe in forum Yamaha PWC Performance (4-stroke)
    Replies: 19
    Last Post: 08-29-2018, 08:45 PM
  3. Timing chain / sprocket failure on 2015 SVHO model skis, when did updates start?
    By dolphinride in forum Yamaha PWC Performance (4-stroke)
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 04-08-2017, 06:17 PM
  4. timing chain failure
    By 411splicer in forum 4-Tec Performance
    Replies: 37
    Last Post: 07-24-2012, 06:52 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •