Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 5678 LastLast
    +1
    @ skeeterzx225 - I largely agree with you, as I've heard this as well. However, I'd not assume this to be an automatic assumption, main caveat is going to be working with the respective dealership/service center as your best advocate. Some are more proactive than others.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by cjk6119 View Post
    Do you contribute the 177 hours of longevity of your timing chain to good preventative maintenance and consistent oil changes?
    I'm not sure the actual problem was the chain or the design of the chain or if it was just a bad batch of chains ... I had a 2015 FZS the chain went at 130 hrs I rode it hard and a buddy of mine with a Fx his broke at 64 hrs not ever riding hard... I have a 2015 Fx with over 300hrs I wouldn't say I ride as hard as my FZS but I don't baby it.. Still stock chain no issue...All that being said only approximately 3% of those model years had issues with timing chains break... My guess is if your anywhere near 200 hrs you probably don't have anything to worry about... And yes I do maintain mine by the book though I'm not sure that has anything to do with the timing chain issue and not a bad idea to do as others have said and inspect chain periodically

+1
    Just curious what inspecting the chain would actually do? Are you hoping to somehow get super lucky and find a broken link before it completely blows and then bring it to a dealer? I suspect if a link breaks while running the entire chain is likely to do a complete failure immediately afterwards or the chain reaction of broken pieces floating around just causes everything inside to go to $hit?

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by skeeterzx225 View Post
    Just curious what inspecting the chain would actually do? Are you hoping to somehow get super lucky and find a broken link before it completely blows and then bring it to a dealer? I suspect if a link breaks while running the entire chain is likely to do a complete failure immediately afterwards or the chain reaction of broken pieces floating around just causes everything inside to go to $hit?
    If your asking me, Iím not sure if it will do any good to inspect it or not but I have heard of others finding a broke link before it snapped.. my warranty is about to be out on both my 15í FXSVHO and they are about to be 5 years old so Iím not sure how long Yamaha will go to cover this issue out of warranty and if they wonít cover out of warranty any longer it would definitely be better to inspect it and possibly be able to prevent tearing up the whole engine because of chain snap

+1
    i just bought a 14 fx svho with 238 hours with broken chain so yeah i would not be so sure that after 200 hours you are good lol. upgrade the chain, is cheaper than the repair.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by 1_Fast_SHO View Post
    i just bought a 14 fx svho with 238 hours with broken chain so yeah i would not be so sure that after 200 hours you are good lol. upgrade the chain, is cheaper than the repair.
    That sucks to hear.. thatís by far the most hours to have the chain break that Iíve heard of.. was the engine modified?

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by wheresmike View Post
    That sucks to hear.. thatís by far the most hours to have the chain break that Iíve heard of.. was the engine modified?
    100% stock

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by 1_Fast_SHO View Post
    I'm assuming it's out of warranty, is yamaha still going to cover it?

Checked mine and it seems in good condition. 80hrs

Is this a 4/5link or 3/4link? not sure

thank you

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	96921.jpg 
Views:	106 
Size:	71.6 KB 
ID:	471686  

Quote Originally Posted by cjk6119 View Post
    Anytime ....take care
    cj
    Is this the new one ,4/5 link or 3/4, would appreciate your insight here.

thank you very much

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_2568.jpg 
Views:	62 
Size:	64.9 KB 
ID:	471763  

Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 5678 LastLast

Thread Information