Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by 1_Fast_SHO View Post
    Correct, is recommended to change the crank but it is not necessary, i have done many of them, and i know shops that have done many as well. You do what you think is best. Just giving you my 02. Cents.
    Assuming I leave the original crank, is this a job for an "average" back yard mechanic? I prefer to work on my own stuff when possible and enjoy it. You tube is usually my buddy for new challenges but unfortunately I don't see any videos or write ups for this swap.

+1
    I would not attempt it if you have never done timing on a 1.8, you also have to remove the oil pump and clutch ti get to the chain.

Click avatar for tech links/info K447's Avatar
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by 1_Fast_SHO View Post
    1.8 ... remove the oil pump and clutch to get to the chain.
    Front of Yamaha 1.8 SVHO 2017 engine with oil pump and supercharger clutch removed.

+1
    Interesting

I did it myself, but the engine was out of the ski. As long as you set TDC before you remove the tensioner, it’s a straightforward swap.

Mine broke at about 55 hours just FYI.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by TimeBandit View Post
    According to my own ďfuzzyĒ survey {link} many years ago, the 2014 SVHOs seemed to be among vast vast majority of the failures, with a smaller sub-set on into 2015, which could have been attributed to a small carry-over of inventory (chains, cams, or entire engines) from 2014 - not an uncommon thing. So those that have a 15 model, might want to look at the date stamp on the engine too - yet nothing is a sure-thing, now is it.

Personally, I run an aftermarket MCCT instead of Yamahaís stock ACCT (regardless of year or NA/SC, yet only out warranty). Not saying itís the cure-all, rather more like an ounce of prevention perhaps.
    True Ö itís not for everyone, as it means more technical know-how, periodic maintenance, measuring/adjusting.

So my issue with the ACCT, is that it seems functionally too-aggressive (from what Iíve historically observed). While the source for tension-pressure is via oil pressure, the plunger is one-way mechanically ratcheting - as this obviously prevents the chain from being overly-slacked on initial engine re-starts. However, itís also very aggressive, in-that it wonít EVER yield even just a tiny margin of slack back (unless manually reset), so as a result, things can get quite tight. Canít tell you how many times Iíve opened a valve cover and canít wiggle the ľ slack that normally should be present. Even seen squashed guides too. If that freakin' tight ... one can only imagine, if a chain vibration ever developed, or the chain was warped/stretched (aka defective) that ACCT would be very very unforgiving. Explains why many of the breaks were not even at WOT - according the the owner's accounts. Again, not saying the 14 ACCT was the culprit here, just that when a defect is present somewhere else in cam the system, a MCCT having static slack might be a little more forgiving on things holistically. With a MCCT, at least I can get the proper slack threshold dialed-in, and then keep it that way with seasonal adjustments (if needed).

Yet Iíll play . . . If ďIĒ owned a virgin 14 svho, and ďhadĒ to keep it . . . Iíd install the upgraded: chain, cams, guides (leave the crank as-is) AND run a MCCT - but thatís just me.
    That all said, personally, and totally agree, with the trade-up mindset.
    So are you saying the motor manufacturing stamp on a 2015 should be "2015" which means good timing chain, right? BTW where is the stamp on the motor?

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by bizeagle View Post
    So are you saying the motor manufacturing stamp on a 2015 should be "2015" which means good timing chain, right? BTW where is the stamp on the motor?
    Well, no, not exactly asserting that, hence my proceeding "yet nothing is a sure-thing, now is it" caveat. If you read that again, I was connecting the assembly-year to a probability-factor, and those the are stamped 2014 are in the highest of probabilities. It does not mean the rest of you are necessarily good-to-go. Reality is, we'll probably never know what exactly occurs on the assembly line and what parts came out of which specific bins on that day.

Your mention of "good timing chain" (as opposed to bad timing chain). Let's be clear to all reading this thread, that while Yamaha did eventually enhance the chain's durability (3 years after the major failure spike had occurred), there are two interesting characteristics that point to the failures not being just the chain itself: a) those 2014 vortex engines that initially broke, were reported to have re-broke the replacement supposedly "good" chains, b) 2015-2016 failures returned to pre-spike levels aka 2009-2013 - meaning the original chain design re-held up once again just prior to the upgrade/redesign.
    All I am saying here, is that we cannot simply assume that 2014 spike was a result of a bad production run on chains, when everything else within the entire cam drive-train is suspect (gears, cams, lobes, guides, tensioner, etc...).

Edit:
    The date stamp is located on the top valve cover aft, nearest to spark plug #4 coil connector.
    Last edited by TimeBandit; 09-11-2020 at 06:25 AM. Reason: stamp location

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by TimeBandit View Post
    Well, no, not exactly asserting that, hence my proceeding "yet nothing is a sure-thing, now is it" caveat. If you read that again, I was connecting the assembly-year to a probability-factor, and those the are stamped 2014 are in the highest of probabilities. It does not mean the rest of you are necessarily good-to-go. Reality is, we'll probably never know what exactly occurs on the assembly line and what parts came out of which specific bins on that day.

Your mention of "good timing chain" (as opposed to bad timing chain). Let's be clear to all reading this thread, that while Yamaha did eventually enhance the chain's durability (3 years after the major failure spike had occurred), there are two interesting characteristics that point to the failures not being just the chain itself: a) those 2014 vortex engines that initially broke, were reported to have re-broke the replacement supposedly "good" chains, b) 2015-2016 failures returned to pre-spike levels aka 2009-2013 - meaning the original chain design re-held up once again just prior to the upgrade/redesign. All I am saying here, is that we cannot simply assume that 2014 spike was a result of a bad production run on chains, when everything else within the entire cam drive-train is suspect (gears, cams, lobes, guides, tensioner, etc...).

Edit:
    The date stamp is located on the top valve cover aft, nearest to spark plug #4 coil connector.
    Thanks for that explanation. My '15 HO motor has 03/2015 as the manufacturing date. It has 180 hours and I examine the chain with every oil change but I have not detected any flaws with chain. This motor runs stronger/better than I ever expected, so I would hate to blow it up because of flawed chain or tensioner.

That being said, what the heck was Yamaha thinking with the polymer chain follower that is glued to the inside of the valve cover? It falls off and rides on the chain. I glued it back on with a heat tolerant gasket cement when I re-installed the valve cover but you have to admit that is some misguided engineering. Surely Yamaha knows this is an engineering screw up?? Seems like Yamaha would have posted a maintenance update on how to keep the thing in attached the valve cover.

Have any 14/15 owners who had a recent chain brake not get the repair covered by Yamaha even if out of warranty? From what i've been able to gather from reading posts, if your Waverunner doesn't show evidence of abuse or heavy modding it seems Yamaha is picking up the repair bill? It's almost as if Yamaha knows it's their mistake and its cheaper for them to just quietly replace engines on a case by case basis vs announcing a huge recall?

What say you?

Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast

Thread Information