Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by 1_Fast_SHO View Post
    So you changing clutches which is half of the timing chain upgrade job and have not upgraded yet. Yeah you are asking for trouble. If that chain goes is going to cause a lot of damage.

That is why I inspect it every oil change. Shoot, they are still breaking even with the beefed up timing chains. Stock skis are breaking their chains as well. Hopefully, non of us will experience it.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by hdlefler View Post
    That is why I inspect it every oil change. Shoot, they are still breaking even with the beefed up timing chains. Stock skis are breaking their chains as well. Hopefully, non of us will experience it.
    I have never seen one with the good chain break. Or the 09 chain. Only 14-15 on skis and older in jet boats.

3. +1 by:

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by Interim View Post
    Hello all

My ski is always professionally serviced as per the manual in a great mechanic. Not tuned, only some Riva goodies (air power intake kit, breather and intake manifold upgrade). I will also install a Solas impeller 13/20.
    I read in about the '15 models sometimes show chain or timing failures. Is there a way to prevent this beyond a very good maintenance?

Thank you
    Long, very long, story made short. When my head cracked, I upgraded the Chain, Cam gears, and guide on mine. It was the best thing I did on mine. My cousin's SKI (Twin Ski) popped with a 8600 RPM tune. He just had intake, ribbon delete, and blow off valve.

Yamaha covered the parts, but he was responsible for the labor. They did it out of good will.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by astro7982 View Post
    Long, very long, story made short. When my head cracked, I upgraded the Chain, Cam gears, and guide on mine. It was the best thing I did on mine. My cousin's SKI (Twin Ski) popped with a 8600 RPM tune. He just had intake, ribbon delete, and blow off valve.

Yamaha covered the parts, but he was responsible for the labor. They did it out of good will.

Did you upgrade the crank ?

I also only upgraded the chain, gears and guides. No issues.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by Mac800 View Post
    I also only upgraded the chain, gears and guides. No issues.
    No wayyyy must be a lot of people with trust issues.

Lake Lion
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by astro7982 View Post

How much was the labor?

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by 1_Fast_SHO View Post
    Correct, is recommended to change the crank but it is not necessary, i have done many of them, and i know shops that have done many as well. You do what you think is best. Just giving you my 02. Cents.
    With a 09 fzr and i want to just up grade the chain and guides to the larger one, what part numbers do you use for the cam chain gears? (my understanding is then bolt pattern on the cam gears changed when they went to the bigger cam chain and the new gears will not fit the 09 cams) Thanks

+1
    I dont have a aftermarket tach yet but the stock needle is pegged on my gauge cluster. I'm tuned, exhaust, fizzle, 13/18, ride plate and all the other basic mods on my FX

In regards to the timing chain, I've completely held off doing retainers because I feel my motor has came this far in hours I really dont want to mess with a good thing and tamper with the inside.
    Last edited by Rook87; 08-16-2020 at 11:34 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Rook87 View Post
    260+ hours on my 14 that's been ridden stupidly hard since 0 hrs. My break in process was to ride it hard right off the bat. My 5 year warranty is up January of 2021. Let the motor go boom, I'll find another in fl for $3k if Yamaha doesn't do it. Plan to keep this ski for 2 more seasons but adding a GP to the fleet forsure any moment.
    316 hrs on a 14 FX Cruiser SVHO and except for plugs & oil changes which I do myself and zerks, all original. Build date 01/14. Ridden hard by kids, easy by adults. When I broke it in, I rode it real slow for first 10 hours, super slow near idle for first 3. Only run premium gas.

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread Information