Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
Results 21 to 30 of 73
  1. #21
    YAMA HAMA's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2017
    Location
    Long Island NY
    Posts
    129
    +1
    11
    Quote Originally Posted by 1_Fast_SHO View Post
    It is not a 2000 dollar upgrade. You can change upgrade this and run the same crank. Which is the most expensive part of that kit.
    I see the "kit" includes the crank but your saying it's not necessary? So your saying you could just swap the chain and cam gears? Could you please explain why? Have you done this?


  2. #22
    1_Fast_SHO's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Houston, Texas
    Posts
    4,020
    +1
    479
    Quote Originally Posted by YAMA HAMA View Post
    I see the "kit" includes the crank but your saying it's not necessary? So your saying you could just swap the chain and cam gears? Could you please explain why? Have you done this?
    Correct, is recommended to change the crank but it is not necessary, i have done many of them, and i know shops that have done many as well. You do what you think is best. Just giving you my 02. Cents.

  3. +1 by:


  4. #23

    Join Date
    Nov 2018
    Location
    North Carolina on Jordan Lake
    Posts
    627
    +1
    82
    Quote Originally Posted by 1_Fast_SHO View Post
    Correct, is recommended to change the crank but it is not necessary, i have done many of them, and i know shops that have done many as well. You do what you think is best. Just giving you my 02. Cents.
    So, what would the cost be if it was approached the way you say it can be done?
    cj

  5. #24
    1_Fast_SHO's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Houston, Texas
    Posts
    4,020
    +1
    479
    Quote Originally Posted by cjk6119 View Post
    So, what would the cost be if it was approached the way you say it can be done?
    cj
    Whatever parts is on the kit minus the crank plus labor.

  6. #25

    Join Date
    Nov 2018
    Location
    North Carolina on Jordan Lake
    Posts
    627
    +1
    82
    Quote Originally Posted by 1_Fast_SHO View Post
    Whatever parts is on the kit minus the crank plus labor.
    Correct, is recommended to change the crank but it is not necessary, i have done many of them, and i know shops that have done many as well.

    I don’t think most repair shops would put their reputation on the line and not replace the crankshaft when replacing a old style timing chain. That is why the crank comes in a kit. So I really don’t think that would be an option or a risk that a reputable Yamaha dealer would do for a customer. Especially if they were going to give warranty for any repairs and parts against defects. I have not seen one Yamaha dealer not replace the crankshaft, it would set the new chain up for failure again, not having crankshaft sprocket matching to the cam sprockets like they should be. I think your are giving very poor advice here and if you are authorized Yamaha Repair-shop?
    C J
    Last edited by cjk6119; 08-16-2020 at 10:32 AM.

  7. #26
    Quote Originally Posted by cjk6119 View Post
    Remember you guys who do you have concerns with your timing chain, you could always trade your ski in for a new ski. During this COVID-19 pandemic used JetskeĎs are selling at a premium. You could take a vantage of the market and upgrade to a new ski.

    take care
    cj

    Seabrook we must have been typing the same though at the same time.

    lol lol lol
    dude thatís funny!!!!

  8. #27
    1_Fast_SHO's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Houston, Texas
    Posts
    4,020
    +1
    479

    FX SVHO'15 preventing chain/timing failure

    Quote Originally Posted by cjk6119 View Post
    I donít think most repair shops would put their reputation on the line and not replace the crankshaft when replacing a old style timing chain. That is why the crank comes in a kit. So I really donít think that would be an option or a risk that a reputable Yamaha dealer would do for a customer. Especially if they were going to give warranty for any repairs and parts against defects. I have not seen one Yamaha dealer not replace the crankshaft, it would set the new chain up for failure again, not having crankshaft sprocket matching to the cam sprockets like they should be. I think your are giving very poor advice here and if you are authorized Yamaha Repair-shop?
    C J

    Yamaha dealers dont repair it at all. They wait till it blows up and give you a new engine. I am giving my opinion and my advice. My turbo ski runs high 90s at 20psi 9500rpms. You do what you see fit. I will continue doing what i have been doing. Good luck.

  9. #28
    1_Fast_SHO's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Houston, Texas
    Posts
    4,020
    +1
    479
    Quote Originally Posted by cjk6119 View Post
    I donít think most repair shops would put their reputation on the line and not replace the crankshaft when replacing a old style timing chain. That is why the crank comes in a kit. So I really donít think that would be an option or a risk that a reputable Yamaha dealer would do for a customer. Especially if they were going to give warranty for any repairs and parts against defects. I have not seen one Yamaha dealer not replace the crankshaft, it would set the new chain up for failure again, not having crankshaft sprocket matching to the cam sprockets like they should be. I think your are giving very poor advice here and if you are authorized Yamaha Repair-shop?
    C J
    Want to go ahead and explain to me how the crankshaft will make the chain fail. When 09-13 had the same crank. you ever changed one ? You ever upgraded one ? Smh.

  10. #29
    Rook87's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2015
    Location
    Illinois
    Posts
    230
    +1
    26
    260+ hours on my 14 that's been ridden stupidly hard since 0 hrs. My break in process was to ride it hard right off the bat. My 5 year warranty is up January of 2021. Let the motor go boom, I'll find another in fl for $3k if Yamaha doesn't do it. Plan to keep this ski for 2 more seasons but adding a GP to the fleet forsure any moment.

  11. #30
    1_Fast_SHO's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Houston, Texas
    Posts
    4,020
    +1
    479
    Quote Originally Posted by Rook87 View Post
    260+ hours on my 14 that's been ridden stupidly hard since 0 hrs. My break in process was to ride it hard right off the bat. My 5 year warranty is up January of 2021. Let the motor go boom, I'll find another in fl for $3k if Yamaha doesn't do it. Plan to keep this ski for 2 more seasons but adding a GP to the fleet forsure any moment.
    heck yeah, ride it like you stole it. thats my riding style. for the first time i blew up an engine. believe an injector is clogged and ski went lean, KABOOMMM

Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. Preventing SVHO Timing Chain Failure!
    By RonJon in forum Yamaha PWC Performance (4-stroke)
    Replies: 82
    Last Post: 12-09-2019, 07:43 PM
  2. 2014 Yamaha FZS SVHO Another Timing Chain Failure
    By speak2joe in forum Yamaha PWC Performance (4-stroke)
    Replies: 19
    Last Post: 08-29-2018, 08:45 PM
  3. Timing chain / sprocket failure on 2015 SVHO model skis, when did updates start?
    By dolphinride in forum Yamaha PWC Performance (4-stroke)
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 04-08-2017, 06:17 PM
  4. timing chain failure
    By 411splicer in forum 4-Tec Performance
    Replies: 37
    Last Post: 07-24-2012, 06:52 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •