Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 73
  1. #11
    Interim's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2020
    Location
    NYC - Germany - Greece
    Posts
    19
    Thank you for this. What is the all in cost for this upgrade? any idea? I have seen some tesnioner which are supposed to be better. Are they doing any good?


  2. #12
    hdlefler's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Wesley Chapel, Fl
    Posts
    1,033
    +1
    123
    Quote Originally Posted by Interim View Post
    Thank you for this. I have 75hrs, usage is not always throttle on. I typically ride in open sea about 40-50mph on average for long distances. I havent asked him to do this, I will ask as I just put it in the garage now for servicing.
    Its a fairly easy process to inspect the chain. There used to be a youtube video on it. Should take about 15 minutes to do it.

  3. #13
    Interim's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2020
    Location
    NYC - Germany - Greece
    Posts
    19
    Great - will do so. I have seen the video.

  4. #14

    Join Date
    Nov 2018
    Location
    North Carolina on Jordan Lake
    Posts
    627
    +1
    82
    Quote Originally Posted by Interim View Post
    Thank you for this. What is the all in cost for this upgrade? any idea? I have seen some tesnioner which are supposed to be better. Are they doing any good?
    Anytime my friend, I think taking the conservative approach is the way to do it in regards to your ski. Just replacing ports to avoid a problem that may never occur in the timeframe that you own the ski is not smart way of approaching it. There are some mechanics that are in it for just the money, or are backyard shade tree mechanic’s at best. It sounds like your mechanic is an upfront guy. Keep dealing with him and I don’t think you will go wrong.

    As far as what tensioner is better than another, I don’t know that because I have not done any research in that area of parts.

    Keep enjoy your ski like you have been doing, and keep on doing what you’re doing. It obviously is panning out for you.
    You take care
    CJ

  5. #15
    Interim's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2020
    Location
    NYC - Germany - Greece
    Posts
    19
    Quote Originally Posted by cjk6119 View Post
    Anytime my friend, I think taking the conservative approach is the way to do it in regards to your ski. Just replacing ports to avoid a problem that may never occur in the timeframe that you owe the ski is not smart way of approaching it. There are some mechanics That are in it for just the money, or are backyard shade tree mechanic’s.It sounds like your mechanic is an upfront guy. Keep dealing with him and I don’t think you will go wrong.

    enjoy your ski like you have been doing, and keep on doing what you’re doing. It obviously is panning out for you.
    You take care
    CJ
    Really appreciate your help here.

  6. #16
    YAMA HAMA's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2017
    Location
    Long Island NY
    Posts
    129
    +1
    11
    I have 135 hours on my '14 fx svho with stage 2 and original timing chain is still going. After a lot of research I can't see any pattern as to why some break and others don't. Plenty of stock skis have had them break while heavily modded ones have been fine. I've seen ones break with 20 hours and others break at 150 hours.

    I've contemplated upgrading the chain and related parts but like others mentioned this is an expensive choice approximately ($2000) for something that may never fail. Plenty of people have reported that yamaha covered everything, even out of warranty but I wonder for how long they will continue to do so. I still have warranty until 7/21 so if it's going to break I hope it does at least before than.

    Also thought about just selling it but I like the ski and have put a bunch of time and money into modding it. Plus if I were to sell it I don't think the wife is going to be too keen on replacing it, we have enough toys, her words not mine.

    So for now I just enjoy it and try not to spend too much time worrying about something I can't control. I just pray I'll be one of the many that don't have chain snap on them.

  7. #17
    1_Fast_SHO's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Houston, Texas
    Posts
    4,020
    +1
    479
    Quote Originally Posted by hdlefler View Post
    I have 177 hrs. and not planning on replacing it. If it has not broken yet then I should be ok. I still inspect it though. I don't trust it. I actually been going through clutches recently at an alarming rate.
    So you changing clutches which is half of the timing chain upgrade job and have not upgraded yet. Yeah you are asking for trouble. If that chain goes is going to cause a lot of damage.

  8. #18
    1_Fast_SHO's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Houston, Texas
    Posts
    4,020
    +1
    479
    Quote Originally Posted by YAMA HAMA View Post
    I have 135 hours on my '14 fx svho with stage 2 and original timing chain is still going. After a lot of research I can't see any pattern as to why some break and others don't. Plenty of stock skis have had them break while heavily modded ones have been fine. I've seen ones break with 20 hours and others break at 150 hours.

    I've contemplated upgrading the chain and related parts but like others mentioned this is an expensive choice approximately ($2000) for something that may never fail. Plenty of people have reported that yamaha covered everything, even out of warranty but I wonder for how long they will continue to do so. I still have warranty until 7/21 so if it's going to break I hope it does at least before than.

    Also thought about just selling it but I like the ski and have put a bunch of time and money into modding it. Plus if I were to sell it I don't think the wife is going to be too keen on replacing it, we have enough toys, her words not mine.

    So for now I just enjoy it and try not to spend too much time worrying about something I can't control. I just pray I'll be one of the many that don't have chain snap on them.
    It is not a 2000 dollar upgrade. You can change upgrade this and run the same crank. Which is the most expensive part of that kit.

  9. #19
    Yes get it done now. Mine broke under warranty at 135hrs and the motor replacement was 10k. Personally I’d trade mine in on a new one- right now trades are going for a lot. You would have to be without a ski for a little while but you would have no tc worries

  10. #20

    Join Date
    Nov 2018
    Location
    North Carolina on Jordan Lake
    Posts
    627
    +1
    82
    Remember you guys who do you have concerns with your timing chain, you could always trade your ski in for a new ski. During this COVID-19 pandemic used Jetske‘s are selling at a premium. You could take a vantage of the market and upgrade to a new ski.

    take care
    cj

    Seabrook we must have been typing the same though at the same time.

    lol lol lol

Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. Preventing SVHO Timing Chain Failure!
    By RonJon in forum Yamaha PWC Performance (4-stroke)
    Replies: 82
    Last Post: 12-09-2019, 07:43 PM
  2. 2014 Yamaha FZS SVHO Another Timing Chain Failure
    By speak2joe in forum Yamaha PWC Performance (4-stroke)
    Replies: 19
    Last Post: 08-29-2018, 08:45 PM
  3. Timing chain / sprocket failure on 2015 SVHO model skis, when did updates start?
    By dolphinride in forum Yamaha PWC Performance (4-stroke)
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 04-08-2017, 06:17 PM
  4. timing chain failure
    By 411splicer in forum 4-Tec Performance
    Replies: 37
    Last Post: 07-24-2012, 06:52 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •