Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    +1

No spark or fuel

Hello all, if youve been following my project 15f youll know its been through a complete resto-mod. Just finished the last few pieces today and went to start it up but i have no fuel or spark. The fuel pump is working fine and the regulator is holding pressure. It seems the injectors are not firing. After cranking several times for a few seconds there is clearly no gas getting into the chamber and the pkugs are dry. I tested for spark also by pulling out a plug a holding the side of it onto a ground source. It was dark outside and i shutoff the light for a clear view but there was no spark. Im assuming a possible crank sensor signal since im getting no injector pulse or spark. Let me know your thoughts. Thanks!

My name is Sean and I am addicted to STXs smokeysevin's Avatar
    +1
    Check the harness block connectors for corrosion, check the crank sensor and cam sensors.

It would probably also be worth checking the vehicle down sensor just to be sure.

Sean

+1
    Also make sure the throttle is actually closed. I believe the ecu needs to "see" a closed throttle to start.

+1
    Ok here’s my update. Deffinitely need your input on this one.
    1 Removed entire harness and inspected each and every connector
    2 Ran continuity tests on ecu ground and power tests
    3 tested the switch and made sure the ecu got power on pins 2 and 9 with the switch on
    4 tested injector resistance (all within spec)
    5 tested coil primary and secondary coils and all within spec
    6 tested cam and crank sensors and they were also well within spec
    7 tested for 5v signal for tps and map sensor (5v registered on meter when engine was cranking only but i assume this is normal
    8 Checked continuity of the cam sensor and crank sensor circuits to ecu and they are good
    9 Gauge cluster will not enter diagnostic mode when pressing the set and mode buttons so i checked the blue diagnostic wire than runs to the ecu and it was good.
    10 Gauge cluster registers a bit of tach signal when the engine is cranking and it reads the fuel level. Doesnt seem to receive the speedometer signal when i spin the paddle wheel though. Also cant get inti the clock settings either so im guessing the mode or set buttons are not working right even though they feel just fine.
    11 tested the ecu injector outputs and ts about 10.5v iirc.
    12 have a second ecu i also tested wih as well as a second relay. Same results

In summary, fuel pump kicks on and the engine cranks over just fine. When i pull the fuel line from the rail it has plenty of pressure. The injectors look super clean. When i pull the plugs in each cylinder they are completely dry and its obvious there is no gas in the cylinders. I also dont see any spark from the plugs but its hard to tell for sure. I ground the plug body the the valve cover bolt so i cant say how good the ground was. I am nit sure what the “terminal connectors” are but i did see thise big amber colored splices in the harness and they all looked fine. Battery wore down with all the cranking so im charging it up overnight. Here is one tidbit of info also: when i first plugged in the harness i accidentaly connected the startstop switch to the on of switch connector on the harness. Switched it back once i saw the problem. Throttle is completely closed also. There is a bit of slack on the throttle cable to for now to make sure its closed. Im quite sure i have the tps installed correctly. Used the manual to clock it correctly. Also dont have an hour meter on my gauges
    Last edited by dcuhpw; 08-16-2020 at 07:11 AM.

+1
    Sure sounds like the crank sensor to me. If I remember correctly the crank sensor triggers fuel and spark, and the cam sensor signals timing adjustments.

Let me out of here......I need to go on Greenhulk!
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by smokeysevin View Post
    Check the harness block connectors for corrosion, check the crank sensor and cam sensors.

It would probably also be worth checking the vehicle down sensor just to be sure.

Sean
    Do you know where the vehicle down sensor shuts the motor? Is it pulling fuel, spark or both?

My name is Sean and I am addicted to STXs smokeysevin's Avatar
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by TMiller View Post
    Do you know where the vehicle down sensor shuts the motor? Is it pulling fuel, spark or both?

I actually don't know. I have never checked.

Sean

+1
    I read in the manual that the vehicle down sensor pulls fuel pump, injectors and ignition. I’ll double check but it doesn’t seem like the vehicle down sensor is the culprit. Crank sensor is testing fine as well. I think I may have an extra I can try though.

+1
    Instead of harness block connectors, my harness has these amber colored splices
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	C2DE597B-916D-4A46-B7BB-5FA9E786D118.jpg 
Views:	35 
Size:	97.2 KB 
ID:	465911  

+1
    I’m getting 10.6+/- volts at the injector red yellow wires while cranking that jumps back up to 12.5 or so when the starter stop but the fuel pump ready is still on. Once the relay shuts off the red yellow wire drops power. As far as I can tell, that’s normal. The injector signal from the ecu is just not giving me anything. Going to check the injector put up at the ecu next

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread Information