Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

New to us '95 and '96 Wave Raiders

Hi, just bought '95 1100 and '96 700 skis, which are our first. Just looking for any input on these. I've read these had really good motors. Was thinking about doing injection delete and going premix. Have also ordered a shop manual and plan to do some disassembling to check everything out before taking them out.

As being completely new to waverunners (have always boated only), what advice can you give with these? I need to check impellers, filters, plugs, but what else? I've ordered compression gauge, what would be normal for them?

Was looking for much newer 4-stroke but price was way too good even if I have to replace a lot of stuff.

Any input at all would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance!

Make sure the carbs are clean and it’s getting oil and run them! Run them on the trailer for a bit look for leaks and what not make sure they rev up. Look at the plugs make sure it’s not running lean. They are pretty simple. I would pull the jet pump and pull the cone off and look for water intrusion . A lot of people use grease in the jet pumps I personally like gear oil. Hope it works out keep us updated

+1
    I hope you did a test ride on the water of both skis before you purchased them. Obviously, the only time I wouldn't recommend that is if you're buying a non-running ski. Running a ski's engine while on the trailer tells you nothing! The engine isn't under load like it will be when in the water.

I like oil injection. The oil pumps on these skis are very reliable but the oil hoses and the crappy, nylon clamps are not. I've replaced the oil lines on both of my 2-stroke skis and I used high quality Oetiker clamps to secure the hoses to the fittings.

New plugs for both skis is a good idea. You'll want to see compression numbers that are consistent between cylinders; within 10% of each other. All compression gauges seem to real differently so just look for consistent numbers between the two cylinders of the 700 and between the three cylinders of the 1100. I'd be leery of numbers lower than 100psi.

Ethanol gas really sucks for 2-stroke motors. You're going to want to clean those carburetors. More than likely you're going to need to completely rebuild the carbs and if so, use genuine Mikuni rebuild kits. The aftemarket kits cost less but many owners have had carb issues after using the aftermarket kits. I have a very detailed write-up concerning some small but extremely important ports in these Mikuni carbs. Click on this link and go to post #23:

http://greenhulk.net/forums/showthread.php?t=287700

And one last very important note. If you run the skis' engines on the trailer and use garden hose water for cooling here is the sequence: 1. Start engine. 2. turn water on. When done running the engine, 3. turn water off. 4. stop engine

Let us know. Post some pictures, too.

Thanks for the replies. Unfortunately I did have to gamble and could only run on the trailer. I swore I wouldn't but time couldn't work out with my schedule and was able to get both with a double trailer for $2250, which was very good in my area, so figured if one came out good I'd still be okay for a first one to let my son learn on and beat up.

1100 has 110hr, 700 has 160hr. One weird thing, the 700 had sponsons installed on the front as well as the back. One front one was missing and had the holes silicone filled and seller advised it still operated good for his wife, but I'm going to take the other front one off and put sealed plugs in the holes. All other 700s I've seen pics of didn't have them on the front, just the back.

Sellers had them 8 years with inside climate controlled storage last 2 years, so even though they show their age, I don't feel too bad about it, but we'll see.

I'm sure I'll have more questions as I know nothing about skis. When my manual gets here, I'll do some more disassembly and take a look at more things. I think I'll leave the injection for now as I've found a lot of others that said the same thing about them being reliable and lines being the issue to address.

Thanks again!

+1
    At least you didn't pay too much for the pair. Especially in this day and age of very inflated pwc prices.

That is weird about the 700 with "front sponsons." Are you sure that they aren't some type of water spray deflector/shield. Post up some pics, please.

I would very, very closely inspect all of the oil hoses and their clamps before taking the skis to the water. Make sure none of the hoses are stretched tight. This is one of the things that happens causing the hose to pull off it's fitting at the carb.

Some Pics

Quote Originally Posted by dannyual777 View Post
    At least you didn't pay too much for the pair. Especially in this day and age of very inflated pwc prices.

That is weird about the 700 with "front sponsons." Are you sure that they aren't some type of water spray deflector/shield. Post up some pics, please.

I would very, very closely inspect all of the oil hoses and their clamps before taking the skis to the water. Make sure none of the hoses are stretched tight. This is one of the things that happens causing the hose to pull off it's fitting at the carb.
    I'm removing the other front sponson or whatever it is that was added. It was riveted on. I'm going to plug the holes with siliconed rivets
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_2866.jpg 
Views:	22 
Size:	75.5 KB 
ID:	465790   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_2865.jpg 
Views:	24 
Size:	124.7 KB 
ID:	465789  

Additional Pics
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_2867.jpg 
Views:	19 
Size:	133.4 KB 
ID:	465791   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_2861.jpg 
Views:	22 
Size:	118.0 KB 
ID:	465792   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_2860.jpg 
Views:	19 
Size:	137.9 KB 
ID:	465793  

Yo yo I'll take those front sponsons off your hands. I've been looking for those.

Quote Originally Posted by Skwangtang View Post
    Yo yo I'll take those front sponsons off your hands. I've been looking for those.
    There’s only one, seller said it was lost in a lake

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by Skwangtang View Post
    Did your ski have them before? What are those for? I've never seen anything like those front "sponsons.' I wonder if they're some kind of low mounted spray shield. The spray shields I've seen all mounted near the rub rail of the ski.

fyrmnk, thank you for posting all of the pictures!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information