+1

Exactly how is the Speed limited on the SVHO? RPM's? GPS?

Just wondering how Yamaha limits the on the water speed of the SVHO skis. I've heard that the speedometer on these skis shows an estimated speed based on computer computations of engine parameters. If that's the case then how does Yamaha limit the top speed? Is there a GPS module in the ski somewhere? I saw in a thread that you can eliminate the top speed governor but that you wouldn't turn any more RPM's. HUH???? This whole thing just seems illogical and it got me to thinking/pondering the great mystery I have stumbled on here. I did a search but came up empty. I'm certain this question has been answered somewhere on here before. Can someone splain how this limiter works please?!?!?!? I gots to know!
    Thanks
    Bill

Click avatar for tech links/info K447's Avatar
    +1
    What model year are you asking about?

FX SVHO or GP1800 SVHO?

+1
    Well....mine is a 2018 FX SVHO but I was under the impression all of the SVHO's as of late had some sort of magical speed limiting wiz bang engineering.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by Fandini View Post
    Well....mine is a 2018 FX SVHO but I was under the impression all of the SVHO's as of late had some sort of magical speed limiting wiz bang engineering.

the only ski that has the “limiter” is the GP1800 (and old FZ) it works off basically a timer when the Ecu senses WOT for a few seconds can’t remember but I think it’s like 6-8 then the Ecu limits the rpm to 7300 you can let off then do it again then after few seconds it’s pulls RPM back has nothing to do with speed it’s just a build in process In the Ecu this can be removed allowing full rpm full time

The limiter is in the tune, I grabbed Riva’s maptuner x. My 14 FZR is stock for now. I picked up 5mph and stupid acceleration. Many more mods to come once Texas cools down.

I'm in the market for a new Wave runner next year and looking at this, When running right, our 2014 FX SVHO cruisers top out at about 7500rpm and with 1, 2 or 3 people max out at 70mph. They are stock. I keep seeing the new 2020 (assuming also 2020) will top out at 67mph as stock.
    Did they at some point reduce the max RPM in the program?

+1
    Is the FX SVHO limited in a similar way? Just trying to understand how these things work.

Thread Information