Cooling passage flushing

Hey guys and gals got a question hoping someone could help with ..2004 stx 15f 200 hours had to replace stringer pipe and noticed some clogging on manifold ..doesent overheat ..my question is i read vinager can help clean jackets out ..when i dump vinager in the garden hose flushing port if i just pour the vinager in do i still run the engine ? Or with no real pressure is dumping while off ok ?

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by Jayson115 View Post
    Hey guys and gals got a question hoping someone could help with ..2004 stx 15f 200 hours had to replace stringer pipe and noticed some clogging on manifold ..doesent overheat ..my question is i read vinager can help clean jackets out ..when i dump vinager in the garden hose flushing port if i just pour the vinager in do i still run the engine ? Or with no real pressure is dumping while off ok ?
    What is it thatís clogging the passages? If itís salt then use salt away and do a deep clean. Vinegar works well to help clean off scale but is also very acidic. The vinegar needs to sit in the engine for a while to be effective but because itís so acidic it can also really corrode aluminum.

My buddy cleaned it up for me he said it was like a watery sludge ive been doing more reading ..and rwading some ppl use vinager and some dont .lol where its not over heating and wasent used much by previous owner i might run it and hopefully dont get worst and maybe cleans itself out

Quote Originally Posted by dcuhpw View Post
    What is it that’s clogging the passages? If it’s salt then use salt away and do a deep clean. Vinegar works well to help clean off scale but is also very acidic. The vinegar needs to sit in the engine for a while to be effective but because it’s so acidic it can also really corrode aluminum.

Speaking of Salt Away; I just used that stuff for the first time (I know, shame on me/skiis never been in anything but salt water) on both my skiis during engine flush after riding. Spits a lot of foam in the canal (skiis on lifts) while it's flushing and I was wondering if a tree-hugger motored past would they say I'm "trashing the environment" or whatever? I'm pretty sure a few ozs of that stuff isn't going to desalinate the entire intracoastal waterway. Also, is it recommended to use Salt Away to flush the IC as well?

Unrelated bonus question for you guys with the big brains:

Due to thermal expansion; will the spark plugs be tighter or looser immediately after shutting down (hot engine)?

+1
    OF COURSE YOU'RE DAMAGING THE ENVIRONMENT!!! These idiots think that breathing damages the environment, but they won't stop breathing...

Regarding the spark plug question, the answer is YES! They may be tighter or looser.

The thermal expansion coefficient for the aluminum head is greater than for the steel spark plug barrel. For that reason, I would expect the plug to loosen. However, I've seen warnings to not remove/install plugs in a hot engine because the threads may bind up (so much for plug chops). Perhaps the thread spacing may be affected somewhat by temperature or something. So, there you have it. A definite maybe!

Thanks Steve,
    Well I'm going with looser. After having a HARD time getting #4 spark plug out of a cold/hadn't been ridden in 5 months ski two days ago, I decided I'd better get #4 out of there after a long ride yesterday. BTW, I always use anti-seize on spark plugs after a very costly/time consuming episode when these skis were still < year old. Anyway after buggering up the #4 wire trying to pull the boot off the plug ($60 uh-oh) on a still hot engine; I dropped the spark plug socket/extension down the hole and it came right up easy peasy.

So in summation, the spark plug wire boot was way tighter, but the spark plug was looser, easy to get out.

Any suggestions on Salt Away through IC? I always flush it for several minutes on the hose after engine flush, but it too has had salt water running through it earlier.

+1
    Glad you got it out OK.

I had trouble with spark plug boots a year ago and the only thing I had available to put on them was Teflon pipe thread sealant. It seems to be working quite well.

I think flushing the IC with Salt Away would be an excellent idea. I figured everyone that used it was doing this.

+1
    Salt away isn't strong enough to unclog passages that are already in the engine. I'm not sure if vinegar works as I've never tried it but most of the ports I've cleaned were manually done, a pain I know.

As far as the sparkplugs go; On the 5.4 3Valve abomination of an engine Ford produced there is a well known issue with replacing/breaking the sparkplugs mostly due because of the ridiculous design of them. A lot of mechanics will remove as much as they can, then run the engine at a high idle and immediately after shutting it off getting a spark plug at a time to loosen up, and hopefully not break. This trick works better than having the engine cold from all the mechanics I talk too, so I'd say there is some truth in it.

+1
    I use a 50/50 salt away mix for deep cleaning. I just fill the flush port directly with about a gallon of the mix and let it sit. After about 24hrs I flush it out. Works great for heavier build up. It’s also biodegradable.

10. +1 by:

Thread Information