2009 Sxr 800 hole shot problems

Hi. Iím new to the jet ski world. I just picked up a 2009 SxR 800. The ski runs amazing. Tons of power. It has a factory wet pipe. Reeds. Novi carbs with filters. Skat trak pump and prop. Ride plate and aftermarket grate. The ski has a real hard time getting out of the hole. I seem to be blipping the throttle a lot. Once the ski is moving it hooks up and is crazy powerful. Itís almost like it is calvating a lot. Pump is good. Prop is good. Wear ring is good. Seems to me like there is a ton of blow by tho. Any help whatsoever would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

+1
    Welcome aboard, Fat4duck!

It takes very little to cause a problem in the jet pump. A piece of fishing line, a piece of wood the size of a match stick. Carefully inspect the pump for anything like that. Also, check the condition of the impeller blades. Dings will slow you down. Clearance between the impeller and housing should be about .025" or less. Also, check the condition of sealant around the pump tunnel, grate, etc. You want to avoid anything that can cause turbulence in the flow.

Thanks for responding. I was also told about leakage around the shoe? Is that a replaceable part?

+1
    Pretty difficult to replace, but all you need to do is apply sealant around the edges and make sure to smooth it so you don't get turbulence.

+1
    Do you have pump shoe plugs installed? May need to step up impeller pitch if it's not cavitation related. Did you check impeller blade to pump housing clearance?

+1
    Pump Spec's:

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	sxr pump.jpg 
Views:	29 
Size:	217.4 KB 
ID:	465734  

I’m not sure if it does have plugs or not. Going to really look into it this weekend. Talk to a guy at Skat trak and he said a multiple of things. The clearance doesn’t look to be an issue but I will pull it apart. Thank you all for giving me some really good starting points. It’s nice to see how helpful everyone is.

Thread Information