Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    +1
    Guten Morgen.

All very good information shared with you here.

You should go shop around, find a ski that "appeals" to you, one that you physically like, one that you can get a good deal on, one that your sales person will offer support after the sale - if needed, and one with your dealership not "on the other side of the planet".

Kawasaki offers you Original Kawasaki Extended Warranty Coverage for their new Jet-Ski's and I always select that at the time of sale - for a total coverage offered by Kawasaki of 5 years.

Viel Glück!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Spooling View Post
    Guten Morgen.

All very good information shared with you here.

You should go shop around, find a ski that "appeals" to you, one that you physically like, one that you can get a good deal on, one that your sales person will offer support after the sale - if needed, and one with your dealership not "on the other side of the planet".

Kawasaki offers you Original Kawasaki Extended Warranty Coverage for their new Jet-Ski's and I always select that at the time of sale - for a total coverage offered by Kawasaki of 5 years.

Viel Glück!!!

I will do so, but gathering Information is crucial!

I get an comment on FB about supercharged Skis, maybe you guys can enlighten me.
    Kawasaki Supercharger are Belt driven, the Charger cant harm the engine unlike the clutch driven Yamaha/ Seadoo Charger. Can you confirm this?

Click avatar for tech links/info K447's Avatar
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by GermanDude View Post
    Kawasaki Supercharger are Belt driven, the Charger cant harm the engine unlike the clutch driven Yamaha/ Seadoo Charger. Can you confirm this?
    Only Seadoo has the clutch as part of the actual supercharger. Only Seadoo has a history of supercharger clutch failures that can damage the engine itself due to debris contamination of the oil pump system.

The Yamaha supercharger is separate from the clutch unit. The clutch resides low in the engine and is separately serviceable from the supercharger.

I recently replaced my Yamaha clutch at 222 hours, photos and details can be seen here. When the clutch failed (normal wear) engine power was reduced but the watercraft was still rideable. I ride several hours with the clutch slipping. There was no damage, And clutch replacement took a couple of hours. Back on the water.

+1
    Seadoo used ceramic clutch washers in their early model superchargers. I believe in 08 they changed to a new all metal clutch. The ceramic clutch washers were supposed to be able to handle the heat much better then their steel counterparts. However they were known to fail as well. When they failed, the washer would break up and fall into the oil pan and cause all sorts of problems. Ceramic bearings were fixed 12 years ago. Brp has been improving their superchargers on a fairly regular basis since then. The 08-2016 superchargers need a rebuild between every 100-200hrs depending on who you talk to. I sent mine to Jerry and he rebuilds them for about $450. The 2017+ models are a maintenance free design but can still be rebuilt if needed as was recently discovered. There is no specified maintenance period for them though.
    Now on to Kawi. First off they used ogura superchargers for the 250 and 260 models. These superchargers were fragile and unreliable. All the kawi superchargers will also need a rebuild at some point. It is also quite common to see the coating on the rotors peeling off, clogging up the Intercooler and loosing boost. The actual supercharger from kawi is very expensive to replace. They are also a pain to get out of the ski. The belt will need to be replaced and that involves unbolting the engine and sliding it back to get past the coupler. The brp ones just unbolt with 3 6mm bolts and the whole unit comes off plus there is no rotor coating and the engine oiling system directly sprays onto the supercharger vs the dry sealed bearings on the kawi (except for the gears on one end which are in an oil bath). I would also think that the heavy side hung design has to place a lot of stress especially while wave jumping.
    im not familiar enough with the Yamaha unit to offer any meaningful comments. Just don’t believe the kawi requires less maintenance than the other brands. They all require a decent amount of maintenance.
    And lets bring up carbon seals while we’re at it since I’m sure it will come up. Simply put, the vast majority of issues are due to flushing the engine out of water for a long time. I keep my post ride engine flushes to 60 seconds max. But let’s not forget the advantage of a carbon seal when it comes time to remove the driveshaft.

Quote Originally Posted by dcuhpw View Post
    Seadoo used ceramic clutch washers in their early model superchargers. I believe in 08 they changed to a new all metal clutch. The ceramic clutch washers were supposed to be able to handle the heat much better then their steel counterparts. However they were known to fail as well. When they failed, the washer would break up and fall into the oil pan and cause all sorts of problems. Ceramic bearings were fixed 12 years ago. Brp has been improving their superchargers on a fairly regular basis since then. The 08-2016 superchargers need a rebuild between every 100-200hrs depending on who you talk to. I sent mine to Jerry and he rebuilds them for about $450. The 2017+ models are a maintenance free design but can still be rebuilt if needed as was recently discovered. There is no specified maintenance period for them though.
    Now on to Kawi. First off they used ogura superchargers for the 250 and 260 models. These superchargers were fragile and unreliable. All the kawi superchargers will also need a rebuild at some point. It is also quite common to see the coating on the rotors peeling off, clogging up the Intercooler and loosing boost. The actual supercharger from kawi is very expensive to replace. They are also a pain to get out of the ski. The belt will need to be replaced and that involves unbolting the engine and sliding it back to get past the coupler. The brp ones just unbolt with 3 6mm bolts and the whole unit comes off plus there is no rotor coating and the engine oiling system directly sprays onto the supercharger vs the dry sealed bearings on the kawi (except for the gears on one end which are in an oil bath). I would also think that the heavy side hung design has to place a lot of stress especially while wave jumping.
    im not familiar enough with the Yamaha unit to offer any meaningful comments. Just don’t believe the kawi requires less maintenance than the other brands. They all require a decent amount of maintenance.
    And lets bring up carbon seals while we’re at it since I’m sure it will come up. Simply put, the vast majority of issues are due to flushing the engine out of water for a long time. I keep my post ride engine flushes to 60 seconds max. But let’s not forget the advantage of a carbon seal when it comes time to remove the driveshaft.
    Thank you very much for your Input, supercharged Skis Run on 91 octane but what is when i cant get Premium fuel? Will less octane damage the engine? I read in another thread there is no nock Sensor Like in cars

Is it nessesary to remove the Driveshaft? Part of maintenance

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by GermanDude View Post
    Thank you very much for your Input, supercharged Skis Run on 91 octane but what is when i cant get Premium fuel? Will less octane damage the engine? I read in another thread there is no nock Sensor Like in cars

Is it nessesary to remove the Driveshaft? Part of maintenance
    Most supercharged skis have a knock sensor. The seadoo 230 engine will run on 87 octane. Technically the 300 engine is also rated for regular but premium is highly recommended. The kawi may be rated for regular too but i always run premium in all my supercharged skis anyways be they ultras or seadoo.

Driveshaft removal is not typically a part of regular maintenance but if you work on your own ski you will likely remove it at some point in time for repair or modification work.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by dcuhpw View Post
    But let’s not forget the advantage of a carbon seal when it comes time to remove the driveshaft.
    What is the advantage?

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by steve45 View Post
    What is the advantage?
    No need to pull the engine. Had a pto output seal that needed replacing and it was a 1hr job start to finish

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information