Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Newby question about SLO key

Hi!

I just stumbled across my first Jetski - a 2010 Ultra 260 X. It's got way more power than I really need or am comfortable letting my kids use on their own, so we have been mostly using the SLO key. My question is: I can really notice the bogging down of the response and throttle versus when running full power mode. Is it a problem or bad for the engine to pull a towable tube in SLO mode versus full power? I just want to make sure I don't hurt it. I am using premium fuel and checking the oil often. Other than that, anything to watch for? Bought it with 38 hours and am already up to 63 in just a few weeks!

Thanks for any feedback.

+1
    As long as the engine is making enough power to do what you need it to do I don't see any harm. You may be thinking you're lugging the engine but I doubt it unless you have an overheat alarm. Why not use the full power key for towing and the SLO key only when someone else is using the ski? This is a thought provoking question.

Quote Originally Posted by pro1200 View Post
    As long as the engine is making enough power to do what you need it to do I don't see any harm. You may be thinking you're lugging the engine but I doubt it unless you have an overheat alarm. Why not use the full power key for towing and the SLO key only when someone else is using the ski? This is a thought provoking question.
    Yes, that is certainly the most logical option. I want my kids (teenagers) to learn to pull people also and was more concerned about having them gain experience with the SLO key for safety reasons and just wanted to make sure that continued operation in SLO mode wouldn't be bad for the engine.

+1
    Some states have age requirements for operating a boat / PWC. Make sure your kids meet the requirements.

Quote Originally Posted by steve45 View Post
    Some states have age requirements for operating a boat / PWC. Make sure your kids meet the requirements.
    I checked and we are good. I had them both take the required boater safety class and get their boating license. Now it's just trying to take the best care of the ski that we can. I think our ski is more than we really need, but we have it and so now I want to make it last as long as possible.

Other than checking the oil, are there any major things to watch out for? I plan on having a dealer winterize it, but with it being supercharged wasn't sure if there is a lot of additional maintenance requirements.

This is how I run a jetski shop in the desert nmpeter's Avatar
    +1
    put one key away for safekeeping. having both keys on an outing is looking for a problem

or

buy a spare key and the programming dongle ( candoo) make a spare slo key and then have at it

lose both keys?..that's a $500+ downtime ecu replacement

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by Samish260 View Post
    Other than checking the oil, are there any major things to watch out for? I plan on having a dealer winterize it, but with it being supercharged wasn't sure if there is a lot of additional maintenance requirements.
    You'll want to be sure to fog the supercharger after each outing. http://greenhulk.net/forums/showthread.php?t=263925

Do you have a service manual? You need to check the valve clearance about every hundred hours of so.

+1
    First, don’t tell anyone you ride with the SLO key, I made that mistake here

There 2-3 YouTube videos by Mainland Cycle Center in Texas on Kawasaki JetSki that was really helpful. Videos are of Submerged ski, Proper maintenance, and flushing motor and intercooler. GREENHULK family offered valuable help and info when I submerged my New ski a couple weeks ago. Got my ski back running within 24 hours, even surprised the dealer who said to wait until 25 hours to bring it in for service.

Quote Originally Posted by nmpeter View Post
    put one key away for safekeeping. having both keys on an outing is looking for a problem

or

buy a spare key and the programming dongle ( candoo) make a spare slo key and then have at it

lose both keys?..that's a $500+ downtime ecu replacement
    Yes, that would be bad. I leave one key on the dock and swap as needed.

Quote Originally Posted by steve45 View Post
    You'll want to be sure to fog the supercharger after each outing. http://greenhulk.net/forums/showthread.php?t=263925

Do you have a service manual? You need to check the valve clearance about every hundred hours of so.
    No service manual. I have never heard of fogging. After every ride? How bad is it if that hasn't been done?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information