Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by mwhc View Post
    Before anyone buys that "gen 2 riva" I suggest you look into a stock 2021 gp grate.....
    For a stock ski sure. Add a prop and a tune and your better off with the gen 2 riva IMO.

2. +1 by:

Quote Originally Posted by Miglater View Post
    For a stock ski sure. Add a prop and a tune and your better off with the gen 2 riva IMO.
    Did you actually look at the picture's? It's a near identical grate albeit however Yamaha can mass produce it better...... do your thing buy riva

Quote Originally Posted by BLASTER 1 View Post
    But here’s the thing, that Riva grate is stainless much stronger then the oem cast aluminum. For a stock ski yea, but not a 80-90 mph ski.
    At least not for me
    Surely cant say you dont think they built it to handle the stock class 109 tunes that run closer to 90mph with the right setup? Yamaha is legit the only company that builds "race inspired skis" I'm saying that and they're not my favorite brand. Buy rivas, I'd bet you get nearly the same results

+1
    Did you actually look at the picture's? It's a near identical grate albeit however Yamaha can mass produce it better...... do your thing buy riva
    Yes I did, did you?

OEM 21-left 19/20 right

Riva gen 1/2

There are some more differences such as- The strakes on the riva are much thinner allowing more water into the pump. The top-loader scoop leading edge sits about an inch higher into the tunnel on the riva.

I had the 19 OEM on my ski for the past 2 years and it was a beast in the chop but the holeshot cavitation was almost unbearable and it 2-3 mph on the top end which may not be an issue for a stock ski with the speed limited to 67ish. It also was very bad ad eating salad! I was very hesitant to pull the trigger on the gen 2 due to the price and worried that it wasn't going to make that much of a difference. After having put a few hours on it last weekend I'd buy it again in an instant. Still not as fast as my 17 OEM grate but it's worth every penny as it eliminated my cavitation on holeshot.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	oemgr8s.jpg 
Views:	26 
Size:	79.8 KB 
ID:	465716   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	oemgrates.jpg 
Views:	244 
Size:	155.3 KB 
ID:	465717   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	rivagr8s.jpg 
Views:	247 
Size:	85.0 KB 
ID:	465718  
    Last edited by Miglater; 08-13-2020 at 02:33 AM. Reason: Added salad

You're using my own pictures to teach me about the difference nice job. Just buy a riva then

+1
    You're using my own pictures to teach me about the difference nice job. Just buy a riva then
    Thank you and, you're welcome

MSX 150 guy lives on Mr. GP1800's Avatar
    +1
    Look at the 2021 oem grate and compare it to the new riva. There are differences. The shape of the cutout on the inlet scoop is more u shaped on the riva and not round like the Yamaha grate. The fin seems to be a different shape and different angle as well as located further back. The bars on the riva continue to the flat bottom section like additional skegs. And that center bar on the Yamaha grate would restrict water flow more than the riva

i just installed my gen 2 riva and rode about 60 miles. The difference is night and day from the gen 1. Hookup is unreal. Handling and ride quality of the whole ski in chop is night and day better. I am not sure on a top speed loss yet but if I had to guess maybe it’s a 1 mph loss at best. It may even be equal in speed. I’ll answer that question as I get more ride time with the new grate.

If you’re even on the fence about buying the new riva grate just buy it. It’s that damn good. It may be the single best part I’ve bolted into this ski next to the riva ride plate.

+1
    Dam It, Mr GP! Looks like I have work ahead of me. Trying to get my gen1 grate off Is going to be a chore. I never thought that I would want to remove it
    Thanks for the review

+1
    I just pulled the trigger on the Gen 2 after reading your results. I was on the fence for a while because I am pretty pleased with gen 1 's acceleration thru the chop. With that being said, it appears as though the Gen 2 is better in chop and out the hole. TAKE MY MONEY

11. +1 by:

+1
    Before anyone buys that "gen 2 riva" I suggest you look into a stock 2021 gp grate.....

I am not sure your motive here...but when I'm pushing top speeds that exceed that...nevermind the breakneck acceleration that coincides with being able to hit top speeds that far exceed those "ratings"...I'd trust not breaking myself with a stainless intake grate over an aluminum any and every day of the week.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread Information