Thread: Speed

Speed

Morning all. As previously noted, I am new to the jet ski world. Purchased a 2007 Kawasaki Ultra LX in showroom condition and to the best of my knowledge, stock condition. Engine seems to run perfect and have been pleased with my purchase to this point. I am now curious as to what the top speed of this ski is under relatively calm conditions. SLO key and FPO key. 40 MPH? 50? Also, at this speed, what is the RPM I should expect. Next trip out, I plan to GPS the speed as the accuracy of the display may be questionable. Thanks for any input.

+1
    I've got 2 of them. Getting a consistent speed reading has been a problem lately, as the speedo sensor wheels always seem to hang up. They spin freely on the trailer, but in the water they don't work well. In the past, I've gotten about 50 -52 MPH when low on fuel, high 40s when full of fuel.

Quote Originally Posted by steve45 View Post
    I've got 2 of them. Getting a consistent speed reading has been a problem lately, as the speedo sensor wheels always seem to hang up. They spin freely on the trailer, but in the water they don't work well. In the past, I've gotten about 50 -52 MPH when low on fuel, high 40s when full of fuel.
    I have found the same thing with the water wheel. However, I don't think I am that fast. I think I am only reving about 6,000. Dispay bounces so I will use GPS.

Rather disappointed today. Put a gps on and done a one mile run both directions. SLO key - 30 MPH and 5200 RPM. FPO key - 37 MPH and 6000 RPM. Engine runs fine, and throttle cable is fully opening the TB. No air restrictions. Ideas? Fuel restriction???

+1
    Start with the simple things, like spark plugs. Do NOT overtighten them! Use anti-seize on them, too.

After that, you may need to pull the fuel pump and change the filter: https://www.highflowfuel.com/i-23908...9040-0748.html

You may have to clean the injectors. After that, check compression.

Quote Originally Posted by steve45 View Post
    Start with the simple things, like spark plugs. Do NOT overtighten them! Use anti-seize on them, too.

After that, you may need to pull the fuel pump and change the filter: https://www.highflowfuel.com/i-23908...9040-0748.html

You may have to clean the injectors. After that, check compression.
    Thanks for the pointers. After yesterday's outing, I pulled the plugs and in my opinion, it is running lean as the porcelain is white rather than a bit brown. Today, my mission is to check fuel pressure getting to the injectors. Will update.

Update:

Strange occurrence yesterday. As previously noted, ski ran perfect. Idled smooth, started immediately, ran smooth under load - just no speed. 6,000 rpm and 37 MPH. Plugs removed and tested - all good. Fuel pressure good @44 psi/idle. Flow rate well within specs. TB plate checked for 100% opening. All plugin connections checked. No air restrictions. Wednesday, after all these checks, took it for a 1/2 hr ride and same thing - 6000 and 37 MPH. Loaded on trailer and did compression check. All cylinders around 180 and within specs.

Cut to yesterday. Absolutely nothing done after previous noted compression check. Unloaded and trolled for about 3 min to warm up as usual. Hit throttle and 7200+ RPM and 48 - 49 MPH on GPS! WTH?!? Started and stopped several times during the afternoon and all good. By no means complaining, just bewildered.

Thread Information