stuck open injector 2004 fx ho

i am new to the forum and have diagnosed a stuck open injector on cylinder 3 on my yamaha 2004 fx ho, Hard to start, wouldn't run well. Plus the oil filled up with gas. took out the plugs and #3 squirted fuel. I got some advice and replaced the injector and still had the problem. So then tested the wires to the injector with a test lamp and it stays lit as long as fuel pump is on. No obvious cuts or crimp in wiring.

long story short, looks like i may need a new/used ECU based on my reading of other threads on this forum.

i am looking for part 6B6 8591A-00-00 anyone know where i can find a used one without spending $1500 for a new one that will take a month to get here? Is there a junkyard or someone who parts out these yamahas. The engine is good with great compression on all cylinders

i hate to use a different newer ECU cause i hear the newer ecu wont work with the digital tach and speedometer.

thanks all

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by seawinder View Post
    have diagnosed a stuck open injector on cylinder 3 on my yamaha 2004 fx ho, Hard to start, wouldn't run well. Plus the oil filled up with gas. took out the plugs and #3 squirted fuel. I got some advice and replaced the injector and still had the problem. So then tested the wires to the injector with a test lamp and it stays lit as long as fuel pump is on. No obvious cuts or crimp in wiring.

long story short, looks like i may need a new/used ECU based on my reading of other threads on this forum.
    With the test lamp connected to the injector, disconnect the ECU and if the light goes out bad ECU, if it does not go out, you have a grounded circuit. Do this before you replace an ECU.

The ECU completes the Circuit by quad drivers inside the ECU
    If the ground (signal) wire to the injector was grounded all the time, the injector would stay open.
    Last edited by cjk6119; 08-09-2020 at 08:35 PM.

Yes I had 2 fx160 motors do this replace the ecu and problem solved

+1
    [QUOTE=seawinder;3092419]i am new to the forum and have diagnosed a stuck open injector on cylinder 3 on my yamaha 2004 fx ho, Hard to start, wouldn't run well. Plus the oil filled up with gas. took out the plugs and #3 squirted fuel. I got some advice and replaced the injector and still had the problem. So then tested the wires to the injector with a test lamp and it stays lit as long as fuel pump is on. No obvious cuts or crimp in wiring.

i am looking for part 6B6 8591A-00-00 anyone know where i can find a used one without spending $1500 for a new one that will take a month to get here? Is there a junkyard or someone who parts out these yamahas. The engine is good with great compression on all cylinders

i hate to use a different newer ECU cause i hear the newer ecu wont work with the digital tach and speedometer.

thanks all[

As a last resort. Not cheap but cheaper

/https://www.yamahasportsplaza.com/oe...8/electrical-1

[QUOTE=BLASTER 1;3092662]
    i am new to the forum and have diagnosed a stuck open injector on cylinder 3 on my yamaha 2004 fx ho, Hard to start, wouldn't run well. Plus the oil filled up with gas. took out the plugs and #3 squirted fuel. I got some advice and replaced the injector and still had the problem. So then tested the wires to the injector with a test lamp and it stays lit as long as fuel pump is on. No obvious cuts or crimp in wiring.

thanks all[

As a last resort. Not cheap but cheaper

/https://www.yamahasportsplaza.com/oe...8/electrical-1
    Thanks for the tips everyone. Has anybody used regulatorrecifier.com to get one of these rebuilt/fixed. They claim they can do it for a lot less money if it is fixable

The only time I saw the injector sticking at my shop was when the elect. box had water in it and faulted the ECU. . At least 5 I can remember and all had a water line 2 inches high.

[QUOTE=seawinder;3092677]
    Quote Originally Posted by BLASTER 1 View Post
    Thanks for the tips everyone. Has anybody used regulatorrecifier.com to get one of these rebuilt/fixed. They claim they can do it for a lot less money if it is fixable
    I didn’t do it but there was a guy on the forum that did it and he had good luck getting the ecus fixed

[QUOTE=seabrook;3092724]

I didnít do it but there was a guy on the forum that did it and he had good luck getting the ecus fixed
    just a final followup, last week I got the ecu back from regulator rectifier, also known as Carmo Electronics. They cut open, repaired, resealed and shipped back my ECU for the stated price of $399.

And it worked! just got around to testing it today. It took me 7 oil changes to get the gas out of the oil. Will it last? dont know but that is a lot less money than $1200 for a new one. And the new one ones are back ordered forever.

so thank to this forum for pointing me in the right direction.

[QUOTE=seawinder;3100466]
    Quote Originally Posted by seabrook View Post

just a final followup, last week I got the ecu back from regulator rectifier, also known as Carmo Electronics. They cut open, repaired, resealed and shipped back my ECU for the stated price of $399.

And it worked! just got around to testing it today. It took me 7 oil changes to get the gas out of the oil. Will it last? dont know but that is a lot less money than $1200 for a new one. And the new one ones are back ordered forever.

so thank to this forum for pointing me in the right direction.
    Great glad it worked out and thank you for the follow up!

Thread Information