Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

2004 Kawasaki stx 15f spark issue

I have a 2004 Kawasaki stx 15f. I can only get it to spark in cylinders 2 and 3. Iíve tried camshaft sensor, crankshaft sensor, coils, ecu, spark plugs, new battery. I can get 1 and 4 to spark if I switch the plug wires but never all 4 to spark at the same time. Iím stumped. Can anybody help?

My name is Sean and I am addicted to STXs smokeysevin's Avatar
    +1
    Pull the harness and check all the connections including the big block plugs.

Sean

I checked the harness and all the plugs were clean and didn't find anything out of the ordinary.

+1
    Check the contacts in the starter button up on the bars. Another member had an issue that was assosciated with the actual contacts being corroded.

Sean

It's not the starter button. Still haven't found the issue. Could it be the stator?

+1
    Unlikely, what is the battery voltage?

Just as a sanity check here,

Pull the spark plugs out of the head and connect the plug wires to them, then set them on the valve cover so that the threads are touching a valve cover bolt each. Unplug the fuel injector wires and then crank the engine over.

Do you get spark on all 4 now or just 1 pair?

Sean

+1
    Does it even try to fire up? My issue that Sean mentioned was the start/stop button feeding the ecu. It would crank the starter all day but wouldn’t send power to the ecu while cranking. The start/stop button basically has the function of not just cranking the starter but also providing ecu power while cranking. Doesn’t sound like that’s your issue but I was stumped as to what it could be after having tried everything else. If it tries to fire even on two cylinders that’s a good sign. If it’s not even trying to fire than spark is probably a secondary issue. Interesting side note: the kawi skis that are Japan domestic market didn’t have those block connectors on the harness. Instead they had some factory splices encased in some amber capsules. Seems like a better design but not sure why the US models didn’t get those also.

Only cylinder 2 and 3 spark. It does not try to fire. It has a brand new battery and good voltage.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by jacobraabe_68 View Post
    Only cylinder 2 and 3 spark. It does not try to fire. It has a brand new battery and good voltage.

Odds are it's not the stator then.

The ecu only wants 2 inputs to set the timing, crank position and cam position. Since you have spark on one pair of coils, we know that is working to some degree.

We also know the coils are okay since swapping the plugs make the other par work.

If you have swapped the ecu and it does the same thing, its probably the harness in some form or another.

Do you have a multimeter? you should be able to trace out the wires and check for continuity on the plugs. I would start there if the connectors were okay.

I don't remember if the Kawasaki ecu triggers high or is ground switched, either way, you should be able to probe the plug where the coil connects back to the ecu connector. Try that out and let us know whats up.

Do you know what if any work has been done on the ski previously?

Sean

I have good continuity going from the plugs all the way back to the ecu. I've checked this multiple times. Not sure what all has been done to the ski. Ski has 190 hours and is in good condition.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information