Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    +1

Help me out guys '05 RXT H-temp alarm

History....customer buys pair of Seadoos that had been sitting unused for 3 years. First time out te RXT overheats and he has to add coolant like every 5 minutes!! Brings it to me.

I drain remaining coolant, check compression.....uh-oh....pressureize coolant side....uh-huh...blown head gasket. Head .0025 warped, fixed. New KW exhaust valves. New oem Seadoo gasket and bolts. New 160* t-stat kit. Change oil and plugs. Run on hose 'til warm, let cool down, checked head bolts @90 ft#....all good. Customer takes it out and it throws Hi-temp alarm. I checked all cooling lines, all clear. Swapped exhaust sensor with other ski (Wake n/a). He rides another 10 minutes, tells me it threw the temp alarm again but Wake ran fine. Hmmmm........so I take it out myself. After about 25 minutes normal riding with no full throttle, everything fine, coolant level good. Busted it open with a full throttle burst and BEEEEP!! H-temp. I was prepared! Immediately popped the rear seat and shot the IR temp gun at stuff......J pipe 118*....aluminum outlet on waterbox right by sensor 138*....exhaust manifold 150-170* anywhere on it.....rear of head right at coolant sensor 224*......hoses to ride plate 180* in and 168* out.

To me, everything appears normal. Started it back up, idled for a bit, rode less than half throttle back about 1.5 miles to the launch. Checked temps again, all had dropped by around 15*. I imagine a wide open burst would have triggered an alarm again.

So.......what gives? At what temp does the coolant sensor trip? Trapped air in the head?

Discuss.....

+1
    take the small hoses off the exhaust manifold and check for corrosion , blow through with air, also j pipe 3 little holes at water box end drill them out slightly

+1
    Already went through exhaust cooling side, all good. I've got a warmer than normal engine side it appears. Hooked up Candoo this evening....last 60 seconds runtime shows 190-196*. Min max history shows 251*. I would bet that was right after I shut it off and shot the IR gun at the head, probably heat soaked a bit at the sensor.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by Myself View Post
    Already went through exhaust cooling side, all good. I've got a warmer than normal engine side it appears. Hooked up Candoo this evening....last 60 seconds runtime shows 190-196*. Min max history shows 251*. I would bet that was right after I shut it off and shot the IR gun at the head, probably heat soaked a bit at the sensor.
    how is the water pump impeller?

+1
    When I replaced the thermostat it looked dandy. Machine has 109 freshwater hours on it. Wondering if I have some air trapped in the ride plate. What is normal temp drop through the plate?

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by Myself View Post
    When I replaced the thermostat it looked dandy. Machine has 109 freshwater hours on it. Wondering if I have some air trapped in the ride plate. What is normal temp drop through the plate?
    I usually pulled the allen bolt when filling and let the air out of the plate, usually adds about 1/2 quart.

+1
    Intercooler is plugged up...

+1
    I already checked all cooling passages on lake water side, all clear, exhaust running cool. Engine coolant overtemp alarm and engine a bit on the warm side.

This still seems like a head gasket issue Still. The cooling system should be bled enough if you rode it .. I always use the new 300 headgaskets on these motors as they are a little better .

+1
    Ride plate may be clogged or corroded if water instead of coolant was used prior to rebuild..

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information