Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast
    +1

Msx 150 limited rpm 5750

Hey guys I just got this ski. Itís a 04msx 150 with 75 hours on it. Itís limiting the rpm to 5750. It looks like itís running rich according to the plugs. The guy I got it from replaced both map sensors which got it out of limp mode which is how he got it. I have to pull the o2 sensor yet to check that. But Iím looking for ideas. If itís dirty obviously replace it.

compression test came out to 130 psi on both cylinders, new map sensors, new plugs....

any help would be greatly appreciated
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	C8B0C50C-96C5-43BE-962A-40148C6A3927.jpg 
Views:	21 
Size:	38.1 KB 
ID:	465423  

+1
    Update. We have homes out the coolant temperature sensor and itís about .9 so itís way off from where the book says it should be. I will be installing a new one of those and a o2 and see what happens.

question on codes... is there a way to clear the codes or will it automatically do it if the condition is fixed?

+1
    Howdy,

Are you seeing this rpm limit in the water or on the trailer?
    I've read that bad O2 sensors can cause rpm limits around 5800. Plus yours looks rough. See this thread:
    http://greenhulk.net/forums/showthread.php?t=264418

And yes... if the sensors are replaced or fixed the ECU will return to normal operations (don't have to clear codes).

Other things to check:
    - is your wastegate actuator free... should be able to push rod downward and it snap back shut... smooth moving... these seize often.
    - do you have the old style boost valve (aka wastegate solenoid) mounted to forward side of turbo... or new style mounted on metal bracket off valve cover?
    - check your MAP sensors are wired correctly. Hardpipe MAP has 4 wires in connector (uses air temp sensor too). Intake MAP has 3 wires in connector (no air temp used)... both same MAPs.
    - might you have a boost leak?
    - pull the hardpipe off between intercooler and intake throttle body (ETB). Put in lanyard and tap starter (don't start it). Should hear fuel pump prime and ETB click. Squeeze throttle slowly and confirm ETB butterfly sweeps in sync with throttle
    - at startup... 10(?) red light blinks is normal. You seeing any red lights or warnings on the dash after it's started and idling?

Cheers!

+1
    Ripcuda thanks for the reply. O2 sensor will be replaced tomorrow. The map sensors I did today. The coolant temp from what I read will also limit the rpm due to it not thinking the engine is at temp? Any thoughts on that. My dad who’s a auto tech said on cars with a Bosch system that can cause it to run rich. By the plugs and o2 it’s definitely running rich. We are going to replace all the sensors and go from there.

it does have the newer style wastegate. Those rpms were while it was in the water when I test rode it this morning.

it does have a precision ECU in it dated from 2015 it looks like

+1
    I too have heard the ECU will limit rpms until it sees a certain temp indicating a warmed up engine. I don't know if I've ever heard that confirmed or not (I've not tried). And I wonder if that feature is still in the Precision ECU anyways.

I think you're on the right track. O2 sensor seems very suspect.

Cheers!

+1

Lake test

Alright so i finally got the ski to the lake to test it. Im still limited to 5700 rpm. eyes what i know after running it. It surges at idle 1700ó2000 seems to be the range. Throttle response is good you pinch it it takes off and wants to go, but stops at 5700.. there was a small time it went to 6,000 but i took a turn and it went right back to 5700. The boost gauge never goes over 4 bars but i can hear it purge and the lever moves smoothly by hand.

Here what we have checked and replaced.
    Pulled the hard pipe off the ETB to check for full movement. We have it. Checked all hose clamps for proper fitment and tightness...

pulled and cleaned intercooler. It was clean to start.

replaced items
    1. Map sensors
    2. O2 sensor
    3. Coolant temp sensor

my dad took it out and was running it and by playing with the throttle he could get it to idle consistant where it should. The engine sounds good no odd sounds and there is no check engine while its running. Only light is the 10 blinks on start up....

So with what we know of cars were thinking a TPS is a suspect. I have a complete ETB with sensor coming...

any other things to look for..............

+1
    I cant edit the post above so ill add it here. When we first ran it to day after coming off throttle back to idle the oil light would come on flash 5 times then go out. It did this 4 or 5 times and then stopped doing it.

i did a oil change before we came up and it pumped oil out just fine so i think the pressure switch might have just been a little pissy..........

thoughts on this?

+1
    Alright gentlemen I now have digital wrench! We changed out my ppu sensor where the cable is and this took care of my surge at idle... when I first got the ski out on the water it let me get up to 7600 rpm for a bit I took a couple sharp turns and now I’m mostly running at 6700 rpm... every now and then if I hit some ripples in the water you will hear the turbo kick back up for a few seconds then I’m back down to 6700....

any idea on what to look at? Digital wrench is not giving me any codes at this point....

+1
    Check for boost leaks. Flexible hose from turbo to intercooler is a common point, its hard to get it fully seated sometimes. And sometimes it pops off.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by HiPeRcO View Post
    Check for boost leaks. Flexible hose from turbo to intercooler is a common point, its hard to get it fully seated sometimes. And sometimes it pops off.
    tight and looks to be seated well

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread Information