2002 Yamaha FX140 fluid film, remove cover?

I cleaned up the engine bay pretty good on my new (to me) 2002 Yamaha FX140. Before I spray down the bay with Fluid Film, should I remove the airbox over the spark housing to mist under there too? Or leave that covered?

Also, should I mist down the pump bay with Fluid Film as well?

Thanks!

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20200806_111455.jpg 
Views:	96 
Size:	131.7 KB 
ID:	465418   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20200802_190545.jpg 
Views:	86 
Size:	173.3 KB 
ID:	465419  

Click avatar for tech links/info K447's Avatar
    +1
    Why Fluid Film specifically?

I use Fluid Film for some things, but I would not call it a ‘misting’ spray.

More like a goopy coating that stays gelatinous after application.

On my GP1800 SVHO I removed the plastic engine cover and applied CRC Heavy Duty Corrosion spray to the metal engine surfaces. It creates a protective coating that cures to a slightly tacky surface. Slightly yellowish color. The coating can be removed later if desired.

I use CRC 6-56 on some areas where I don’t need the thicker CRC Heavy Duty coating, like the jet pump.

Fluid Film I use mainly in areas where I don’t mind it staying goopy or where there are moving parts, such as the steering and reverse rod ends & ball pivots.

Quote Originally Posted by K447 View Post
    Why Fluid Film specifically?

I use Fluid Film for some things, but I would not call it a ‘misting’ spray.

More like a goopy coating that stays gelatinous after application.

On my GP1800 SVHO I removed the plastic engine cover and applied CRC Heavy Duty Corrosion spray to the metal engine surfaces. It creates a protective coating that cures to a slightly tacky surface. Slightly yellowish color. The coating can be removed later if desired.

I use CRC 6-56 on some areas where I don’t need the thicker CRC Heavy Duty coating, like the jet pump.

Fluid Film I use mainly in areas where I don’t mind it staying goopy or where there are moving parts, such as the steering and reverse rod ends & ball pivots.
    Good question! I had decided on Fluid Film based on reading/researching here quite a bit. It seemed (along with CRC 656) to be anti-corrosives of choice. Seemed more people like Fluid Film. Now I'm questioning which spray to actually use. I do plan to occasionally go in the ocean.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by SethMaine View Post
    ... Fluid Film based on reading/researching here ... (along with CRC 656) to be anti-corrosives of choice. ...

... I'm questioning which spray to actually use.

I do plan to occasionally go in the ocean.
    I chose the CRC Heavy Duty Corrosion spray specifically because I would be in salt water. Two seasons of salt water and the coating is doing its job.

I do rinse thoroughly with a Salt-Away and then fresh water rinse after each day in the salt. Engine area, under hull, jet pump. And the trailer frame inside and out, winch, etc.

I suggest buying a can of each product and applying them to something as a test. Doesn’t have to be the watercraft. See how they go on and what the product is like after it has ‘dried’ for a couple of days.

5. +1 by:

Quote Originally Posted by K447 View Post
    I chose the CRC Heavy Duty Corrosion spray specifically because I would be in salt water. Two seasons of salt water and the coating is doing its job.

I do rinse thoroughly with a Salt-Away and then fresh water rinse after each day in the salt. Engine area, under hull, jet pump. And the trailer frame inside and out, winch, etc.

I suggest buying a can of each product and applying them to something as a test. Doesn’t have to be the watercraft. See how they go on and what the product is like after it has ‘dried’ for a couple of days.
    Awesome, thanks for your help/advice!

+1
    You do NOT want to use Fluid Film for short term corrosion prevention. It is thick, stinky, and hard to remove. Like K447 said above-get a can of each of the products you like the description of and try them. My all time favorite is BRP XPS but there are other suitable products.

8. +1 by:

Quote Originally Posted by pro1200 View Post
    You do NOT want to use Fluid Film for short term corrosion prevention. It is thick, stinky, and hard to remove. Like K447 said above-get a can of each of the products you like the description of and try them. My all time favorite is BRP XPS but there are other suitable products.
    I appreciate that. I'll look into something lighter. Thanks!

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by SethMaine View Post
    I appreciate that. I'll look into something lighter. Thanks!
    A thick coating is not a problem, by itself. With Fluid Film it is a goopy substance that does not dry. And it has a distinctive lasting odor.

The CRC Heavy Duty Corrosion spray works well. It is not invisible, you will be able to see where it has been applied. Personally I like that aspect.

Buy a can of every product mentioned. You are going to be doing some ocean riding, you will find uses for all of the products.

Figure out which products you want to use where. Buy more of that as you need it.

11. +1 by:

Thread Information