Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    +1

What ultra is recommended

Looking to get a supercharged ultra this fall to have for next season....which is to be avoided? 250/260/300 or 310

my buddies have couple 1800rs and one has a rxpx300...im not interested in wining races really but keep up. I want the kawi for the big chop hull and dont see any here and i like going away from the norm.

I will be doing the limiter mod, exhaust, intake and some mods to make it at least 70+ mph.....just want to know what to avoid and which is the best.

+1
    Avoid the 250! The 260s had some problems fixed. The 300 was a lot better, the 310 is better than that.

Depends on your budget and location.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by steve45 View Post
    Avoid the 250! The 260s had some problems fixed. The 300 was a lot better, the 310 is better than that.

Depends on your budget and location.
    I’d recommend a good used freshwater 300. Keep in mind though that although the skis will hit 70 with a scom (provides everything else in on good working order), that hull makes it harder and more expensive to go much faster. A few mods to either the rxp or 1800 will make it quite a bit faster on the top end. Also, fog that supercharger religiously and always use salt away after every single ocean ride. That rotor/style supercharger is quite a bit different from the centrifugal superchargers Seadoo and Yamaha use. It’s a bit hard to find good used skis right now but not impossible.
    Last edited by dcuhpw; 08-07-2020 at 06:58 AM.

+1
    not really concerned about being the fastest...its never smooth here anyway. Im looking for chop cutting and wave jumping...with the ability to do 70 with the boys.

We only ride fresh water....and were in the 3rd biggest lake in the world, they say is some of the roughest water....consistently rough too

im leaning towards 300 or 310...the prices are stupid right now anyway but im looking to buy off season

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by savageman69 View Post
    not really concerned about being the fastest...its never smooth here anyway. Im looking for chop cutting and wave jumping...with the ability to do 70 with the boys.

We only ride fresh water....and were in the 3rd biggest lake in the world, they say is some of the roughest water....consistently rough too

im leaning towards 300 or 310...the prices are stupid right now anyway but im looking to buy off season
    Wouldn’t recommend an ultra for wave jumping but it’s decent in the chop. My 250x which is supposed to be the best ultra hull for chop would still beat you up when it gets rough here though. Same goes for the 310

Quote Originally Posted by dcuhpw View Post
    Wouldn’t recommend an ultra for wave jumping but it’s decent in the chop. My 250x which is supposed to be the best ultra hull for chop would still beat you up when it gets rough here though. Same goes for the 310
    They all do. It’s a jetski not a 40’ cruiser lol

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by mike-ultra View Post
    They all do. It’s a jetski not a 40’ cruiser lol
    Exactly, it handles certain kinds of chop a bit better than an average ski. Just reading comments here though, I was expecting it to be significantly better. Terms like “cuts through chop” and “cruises through rough waters” seems to be a frequent talking point. Keeping things in perspective, it handles small chop better than most skis and has nice acceleration out of the box. It’s also a super wet ride and the bow ducks under the water at slow speed so when your in really big chop it dives under it. This is just my firsthand experience and $.02

+1
    why would ultra not make a good wave jumper...has the strongest hull

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by savageman69 View Post
    why would ultra not make a good wave jumper...has the strongest hull
    Because of the weight and the side hung supercharger among other things. An ultra does not have a stronger hull. It may be equal to other skis but given the massive weight, it may negate its strength somewhat. Its a regular fiberglass hull, nothing special. Yes, it’s thicker and stronger than a nano xcell hull but it’s a 13yo hull design. Compared with other 13yo hulls, it’s the same. Other manufacturers economy line rental skis are fiberglass hulls also.

Quote Originally Posted by dcuhpw View Post
    Exactly, it handles certain kinds of chop a bit better than an average ski. Just reading comments here though, I was expecting it to be significantly better. Terms like “cuts through chop” and “cruises through rough waters” seems to be a frequent talking point. Keeping things in perspective, it handles small chop better than most skis and has nice acceleration out of the box. It’s also a super wet ride and the bow ducks under the water at slow speed so when your in really big chop it dives under it. This is just my firsthand experience and $.02
    Well I will tell you in my experience where it comes from is when in bigger chop and you are hitting it at an angle my ultra will stay on course and cut threw it. My young fella took out a new wake model seadoo qnd was in medium chop and it kept turning the front. You could clearly see it on video. He had the go pro on his head and kept complaining about it.
    I will agree wiyh you that it is definitely a wetter ride on chop.
    But I like them all. I have driven Yamaha owned 2 seadoo and now my n/a ultra lx and loved them all.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information