2003 Kawasaki STX-12F beeps when steering

1st post!
    This past weekend we picked up a 2003 Kawasaki STX-12F and a 2002 Yamaha FX140. Separate purchases that just happened to come together on the same weekend. We took both out this weekend and got both up to about 50mph on GPS (full tank). I think once we get plugs changed and updated (as well as calmer and less wind) this should creep up.

THE PROBLEM:
    On the third day out the 2003 Kawasaki STX-12F would let out a constant BEEP when turning all the way left or right. Steering seemed fine other than constant "BEEEEEP" when steering was pegged left or right. I've searched all over and can't find any reasons for this. FWIW, the first 2 days out were on the lake and "beep" day was saltwater. I can't imagine the really matters. I came home and cleaned like crazy after the saltwater day.

Anyone have any thoughts as to the cause of the BEEP?

I did TONS of research on this forum and have appreciated all the help I have gained from here!

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_2953.jpg 
Views:	115 
Size:	269.2 KB 
ID:	465341   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20200802_190545.jpg 
Views:	116 
Size:	173.3 KB 
ID:	465342  

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by SethMaine View Post
    1st post!
    This past weekend we picked up a 2003 Kawasaki STX-12F and a 2002 Yamaha FX140. Separate purchases that just happened to come together on the same weekend. We took both out this weekend and got both up to about 50mph on GPS (full tank). I think once we get plugs changed and updated (as well as calmer and less wind) this should creep up.

THE PROBLEM:
    On the third day out the 2003 Kawasaki STX-12F would let out a constant BEEP when turning all the way left or right. Steering seemed fine other than constant "BEEEEEP" when steering was pegged left or right. I've searched all over and can't find any reasons for this. FWIW, the first 2 days out were on the lake and "beep" day was saltwater. I can't imagine the really matters. I came home and cleaned like crazy after the saltwater day.

Anyone have any thoughts as to the cause of the BEEP?

I did TONS of research on this forum and have appreciated all the help I have gained from here!
    Kawasaki has a feature called "Smart Steering" which provides steering assist w/thrust, under certain conditions when releasing the throttle. Turning the bars fully left or right is one of the conditions. There is a steering position sensor/magnet under the steering cowl and a spec for the gap. This may not be your issue, but something to check. I've never heard of problems with it, however some people have just disconnected it because they don't like how it performs.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	SS.jpg 
Views:	104 
Size:	121.0 KB 
ID:	465359  

Thanks GlenT, I'll try to check that out. I wondered if Smart Steering might have something to do with it.

After posting and leaving the house, I realized I forgot to mention that the BEEP happened even if we were just sitting there with no throttle. That was particularly odd to me.

+1
    Yeah, with that updated information, it's not likely the steering position sensor is the problem.

Thread Information