Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Battery Running Down

Good morning. Hope everyone is enjoying their summer.

I have taken out my new-to-me '07 Ultra LX several times now and have had a blast(my first PWC). However, I have come across an issue that I hope someone can point me in the right direction. After several starts and about an hours run time, the battery goes dead. I have checked all connections I see for cleanliness and torque and all seems well. Battery has been removed and tested(OK). Occasionally(not every time), upon startup the red light and "BAT" indicator with buzzer show for about 5-10 seconds and then shuts off. It never comes on during operation. The last time, I boosted the battery and ran the ski for about 30 minutes. Shut if off and tried starting - no go. When I take the battery out and garage charge it overnight, all is well again for a period of time. Being my first, I have not yet fully versed myself with the workings of this machine. Hoping someone can point me in the right direction. Thanks in advance - have a nice day.

+1
    First question is how old the battery is? A battery may show charged or fully charge but when under load it doesn't not show the same. I believe if you take the battery to any auto store like Autozone, they can load test the battery for free. If the battery checks out good, then it's something electrical that maybe draining your battery while in use. I only know this from my boat batteries and had to replace them. Good luck and keep us posted.

Thanks for the reply but I had mentioned in my post that the battery had been removed and tested. Ok result.

+1
    Disconnect one of the battery cables and check the battery voltage. Should be 12.6 V or more. Next, re-connect the battery cable and check the voltage again. A drop in voltage indicates that you've got something draining it. Next, run it on the flush hose a few minutes and check the battery voltage. Should be about 14 V.

Tell us what you find.

Don't forget, start the engine, THEN turn on the water. Turn off the water, THEN turn off the engine. NEVER allow the water to run when the engine isn't running! This can result in major engine damage.

Quote Originally Posted by steve45 View Post
    Disconnect one of the battery cables and check the battery voltage. Should be 12.6 V or more. Next, re-connect the battery cable and check the voltage again. A drop in voltage indicates that you've got something draining it. Next, run it on the flush hose a few minutes and check the battery voltage. Should be about 14 V.

Tell us what you find.

Don't forget, start the engine, THEN turn on the water. Turn off the water, THEN turn off the engine. NEVER allow the water to run when the engine isn't running! This can result in major engine damage.

Thanks. I will try that. May be a week or so(out of town) but I will report back.

I had a chance to run my ski yesterday. Here is what I discovered.

Removed 1 cable and battery tested 12.37 volts. Started engine and meter indicated 13.6 volts. I did not have time to run any length of time because it had no water supply. Launched the ski and ran for about 1/2 hour. Stopped in the lake and sat for about five minutes. Same condition - no start. Boosted and loaded up. After strapping down, I tried again and it fired off with no problems. Retested battery and showed 12.3 volts.(engine off) All testing was done with a reliable Fluke industrial meter. Seems to act up after ski has been ran and engine is up to temp. Going to retest battery at a different location. Connections all seem good. Possible dragging starter?? The intermittent "battery" indication on display has me wondering. It did not appear yesterday.

Click avatar for tech links/info K447's Avatar
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by arbee56 View Post
    ... Launched the ski and ran for about 1/2 hour. Stopped in the lake and sat for about five minutes. Same condition - no start...

... All testing was done with a reliable Fluke industrial meter. Seems to act up after ski has been ran and engine is up to temp. ...
    Sounds like you need to be checking battery voltage with the Fluke while you are out on the water.

What is the battery voltage when cranking during the no start condition ?

What is the actual battery voltage when the engine is warmed up on the water and running?

Quote Originally Posted by K447 View Post
    Sounds like you need to be checking battery voltage with the Fluke while you are out on the water.

What is the battery voltage when cranking during the no start condition ?

What is the actual battery voltage when the engine is warmed up on the water and running?

I will check that next trip.

So a very frustrating day yesterday. Took battery to a different location and was told battery needs replacing. Previous place said "battery OK". Decided to try a third place for shits and giggles and guess what! Battery OK! Went to a fourth and "battery needs replacing". Two of each. WTH! Decided to just buy a new one. My time is worth money too. Was hoping to try today but skies here don't look promising.

Click avatar for tech links/info K447's Avatar
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by arbee56 View Post
    ... battery ... Decided to just buy a new one. ...
    I recommend the Deka ETX series of factory sealed AGM battery.

With any watercraft you do NOT want a battery that is in any way marginal or under suspicion. Getting stranded out on the water is no fun and can be dangerous.

In my watercraft I do not wait until a battery ‘fails’. At the very first indication of weakness the battery gets replaced with a new Deka AGM battery.

Just replaced batteries in both of my 2017 GP1800. Fourth summer for those batteries and one ski was cranking a tad slowly and sometimes showed a Lo warning during cranking. Charging system voltages were correct and AC powered electronic battery charger would fully charge the battery fully without complaint. Battery was simply internally degraded just enough to warrant replacement.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information