Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

2020 RXTX 300 rs bad tracking in rough water

My 50 hour old 2020 rxtx tracks really badly in rough water. I know its the chop affecting this as say for example if i'm heading north, the bars will need to be turned to the right to maintain a straight line. Same as if I'm heading south, the bars will need to be turned to the left to maintain a straight line. The direction in which it pulls also changes depending on which way the waves are coming from. This isn't an issue in smooth water. Will changing the stock sponsons help this or would I be wasting my time? Its an issue as the ski is only used in the ocean and smooth water isn't always an option.

Mine hit a burst of 74, in the chop (1/2 to 1 1/2 ft.), last week in Maine. I would have been killed if I had been able to go that fast on my old GTX D.I. under the same conditions.

+1
    Not sure what your asking, thats the way things are, you always would have to steer into waves or a current to maintain a straight heading, be it a ski, or a boat.

+1
    I'm assuming the OP has experience riding other hulls and is comparing them to the ST3 hull he now owns. I believe his observations are real even though all riders may not react the same. I read Kevin Shaw's ride report on the ST3 based RXT and he complained about "hunting" or what I call "bow steer" in smooth water at low speeds. This is a deal breaker for those who like to tour in similar conditions. I believe the hull gets its hunting tendencies from the T3 hull which has a known tendency to do the same thing. Performance characteristics in rough conditions can be totally different.

+1
    I don't think i've owned a boat or ski that didn't hunt or bow steer at low speed. We were in the gulf Sat. 13 mph wind from the north 1-3 ft sea hitting us on the port side, we did get pushed off line at times but didn't notice anything unusual for the conditions..1ft chop the ST3 hull goes right over it...

My problem is that it happens at high speeds as well. I'm just trying to see if adding aftermarket sponsons will somewhat help to correct this. I know its something that cant be stopped completely as its just the nature of the hull.

Quote Originally Posted by pro1200 View Post
    I'm assuming the OP has experience riding other hulls and is comparing them to the ST3 hull he now owns. I believe his observations are real even though all riders may not react the same. I read Kevin Shaw's ride report on the ST3 based RXT and he complained about "hunting" or what I call "bow steer" in smooth water at low speeds. This is a deal breaker for those who like to tour in similar conditions. I believe the hull gets its hunting tendencies from the T3 hull which has a known tendency to do the same thing. Performance characteristics in rough conditions can be totally different.
    Your exactly correct. Just trying to see if I can reduce bow steer from adding aftermarket sponsons.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by Elijah_Cambridge View Post
    My problem is that it happens at high speeds as well. I'm just trying to see if adding aftermarket sponsons will somewhat help to correct this. I know its something that cant be stopped completely as its just the nature of the hull.
    Sponsons will not help. As others have said, its just the nature of any watercraft.

Ok, thank you

+1
    If the trim is all the way down, the ski tends to hunt more. I keep it all the way up and it helps somewhat. I have an ST3 hull. Changing the sponsons won’t help much.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information