+1

Virage 1200 DI Exhaust

2001 Virage 1200 DI

Iíve found the first plastic section of exhaust baffles after the water box is leaking at the bottom glued seam. Is there a mod to just replace these plastic sections with pipe and rubber couplings or do these baffle need to stay? If I need to keep them, does anyone have a good source to buy them? Iím not too keen on the idea of glued plastic bring part of the hot exhaust but if itís necessary Iíll replace it.

kevin

+1
    Removing the planet resonators will increase the sound of the exhaust. They do serve a valuable function in noise reduction.

I would not glue it, but use a 3M 2 part urathane... the kind commonly used to repair flexible bumper covers.

You local body shop might glue it for you for free or almost nothing.

I have used this product to fix aluminum radiators which are under much hotter heat and pressure with out issues... YMMV

+1
    Ditto bfarnam. Also, a change in the exhaust system will impact the flow, which will, in turn, impact the fuel/air ratio required. As the fuel injection system is an open loop type, it will not compensate for it. So there will be a performance impact and the potential for catastrophic engine damage.

4. +1 by:

+1
    Thanks for the info. I assumed there might be some design issues which is why I posed the question so it’s good to know that’s the reason. Thanks for the heads up on 3M urethane I’ll see if I can source some.

if I can find 3M, would something like this JB Weld product work?
    https://www.jbweld.com/product/highheat-epoxy-putty

+1
    i would not use JB Weld High Heat Epoxy. The main issue, if my memory serves me right, is the plastic these are made of is quite slick and somewhat flexible very much like HDPE. You need something that will not only adhere, but still remain somewhat flexible so that as the part expands and contrasts so does the repair.

Any body shop or body shop repair shop will have the 3M two-part urethane repair used on flexible bumper covers. Some will be in an auto-dispenser twin tube setup and some will be able to be mixed from two tubes.

You might try this:

https://www.amazon.com/3M-Marine-520...483027&sr=8-31

or

https://www.amazon.com/3M-05220-Mari...6483124&sr=8-4

if you can't find a local body shop willing to help ya or a body shop repair facility.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by bfarnam View Post
    i would not use JB Weld High Heat Epoxy. The main issue, if my memory serves me right, is the plastic these are made of is quite slick and somewhat flexible very much like HDPE. You need something that will not only adhere, but still remain somewhat flexible so that as the part expands and contrasts so does the repair.

Any body shop or body shop repair shop will have the 3M two-part urethane repair used on flexible bumper covers. Some will be in an auto-dispenser twin tube setup and some will be able to be mixed from two tubes.

You might try this:

https://www.amazon.com/3M-Marine-520...483027&sr=8-31

or

https://www.amazon.com/3M-05220-Mari...6483124&sr=8-4

if you can't find a local body shop willing to help ya or a body shop repair facility.
    Excellent info. Thank you.

+1
    removing my baffles had no effect on piston wash or mixture...and is no louder then any 1200 made bore the baffles

+1
    If you look at the baffles, each one has a large flow through path. Exhaust can and will flow through quickly. Sound waves will bounce around and soften. Most car mufflers I've seen are a simple zig-zag.

When I bypassed all 3 on a Genesis carb model, I had not jetting change at all. I know the people that run the crap out of it with no trouble.
    I also bypassed the 3 on my TX with no changes, well -old age is catching up to it.

Besides the split seam, many silencers I've seen have distortion/leakage at the hose connections.
    The silencer under the footwell worries me the most as its below the water line.

Thread Information