96 speedster surging at WOT

Hello. 96 speedster new to me. Starts, idles and great holeshot at WOT and runs 30 mph at half throttle. Problem, advance the throttles slowly and left engine will surge up and down like a light switch 4K-7K. new plugs and wires, fresh gas, good compression, fuel lines replaced previously and screw on filters clean. This is a very low hour machine. Swapped rectifiers and still no effect. Any ideas? This boat has me at wits end!!!!

+1
    It could very well be debris in the fuel pump filter.
    Getting enough fuel to run....then is leaning out because the blocked tiny filter is not letting enough fuel go through.....for more throttle.....easy repair.

Thanks for the response Hurricane. To be sure, 24 years of crud in the fuel lines likely an issue. It has regular black hose with factory crimps, weird because all seem to think it should have came with the grey ones? Does the mag carb only have the filter or do they both? Not likely gonna pull the carbs till I have kit in hand. Funny, you look at the plugs and their rather wet as well. Have changed the wires and yet to put it in the water to confirm they were the problem. One rectifier is not putting out and the other is only 12.6v. Battery is new and fully charged at 13v (using one auto type battery). Anyone else please give me your 2 cents, not a new mechanic but new to the land of 2 stroke doo's. Thanks all.

+1
    Boats came with different fuel line to comply with USCG regulations. Have you checked out the jet pumps? What's the condition of the wear rings?

Quote Originally Posted by Myself View Post
    Boats came with different fuel line to comply with USCG regulations. Have you checked out the jet pumps? What's the condition of the wear rings?
    New wear rings and props. Wondering if these machines need 13.5-14v charging voltage to keep things in the get box happy? Did run better with a fully charged battery vs the mostly discharged one I replaced?

Quote Originally Posted by jerrya View Post
    New wear rings and props. Wondering if these machines need 13.5-14v charging voltage to keep things in the get box happy? Did run better with a fully charged battery vs the mostly discharged one I replaced?
    Well, blame it on the previous owner. Replaced the ends on the neg battery cable installed to replace the two smaller factory batteries, even though they would start the engine. Also added a #2 jumper from the neg junction to the mag side of the left engine (not one installed from the factory) and vola! both rectifiers are charging at 13,7v and now the tach's are working. Water test to follow tomorrow. Will post a follow up but thinking I have it.

Yes, both tachs worked and all is good! Problem being it was too rough in the lake to get up on plane so ended up idling in the river for an hour or so and fouled a plug! I guess if your not WOT all the time one should co sider a little hotter plug?

Thread Information