Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    IMO Honestly you'd be better off to find someone with a wrecked fz and buy the used midwall and start fresh

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by mwhc View Post
    IMO Honestly you'd be better off to find someone with a wrecked fz and buy the used midwall and start fresh
    this is option 1 if not then moving to the other

+1
    A combination of age, oxidation, heat (lack of lube), and vibration had already damaged that mid-wall before you tried to disassemble it. Therefore, once you get things sorted out, I’d be especially attentive to proper coupler alignment.

As far as salvage/repair goes . . . it is certainly do’able. I’m not certain using a cadaver mid-wall would be any easier, if-not likely harder.
    Just spit-balling here... this would be “my” repair approach :

1 Start by cutting/pulling/excavating all the loose bits of fiber chunks away.
    2 If you can get/dig the remaining thread insert out, go ahead. But if not, leave it (as you will simply drill out the threads so a longer bolt will pass through it instead).
    3 Electric hand buzz or orbit sander - sand the mating surface relatively smooth, yet using course grit, say 80-120. Make sure the mid-wall mating surface is now flat, clean, yet semi-rough.
    4 Mix-up a small batch of “laminating epoxy” resin (aka Total Boat) : mix parts A & B, then add fumed-silica until you get a peanut-butter-like thickness. Then mix in a pinch of milled fibers. With a small putty knife, push this into all the broken voids of the inserts (including the insert that remains – if you couldn’t get it out previously in step 2), avoid trapping air pockets. Do not build up the resin filler flush with the surface (that’s another step), just insure the voids are back-filled. Might want to repeat step 3 to be sure this added resin hasn't built above the mating plane.
    5 Next, we need a jig to simulate a smooth surface. Find something very flat and hard (not bendable), like a 1/4 piece of Plexiglass. Cut it to a larger dimensions than the IB housing body's mating surface. Important, wax it with a mold-release agent for releasing epoxies, bees-wax can work as well.
    6 Mix-up another small resin batch as above. Putty-knife a thin layer where the IB would make contact with the mid-wall. Careful, not too much. Now push the jig on top. If it is clear plexiglass, you should see the resin underneath spread flat. Prop something against the jig to keep in-place while the epoxy hardens.
    7 Wait an hour (whatever the curing time is), then because you waxed the jig plate in step 5, you should be able to pop-free it off the mid-wall, revealing a perfectly smooth new mating surface. With only an hour on the epoxy, it should also still be pliable enough to clean-up with a razor blade, any resin that may have oozed into the center mid-wall pocket and other unwanted places. If you left the one insert in, please drill out the center so a new bolt can pass thru to the back mid-wall.
    8 Reinstall the jet pump, and bolt it secure so the drive shaft is at the mid-wall once again. We will use the drive shaft to best-center the new IB housing onto the mid wall, and mark the new holes to drill thru the mid-wall. If you left the one insert in, you can use that to help align as well. Note, the IB also has a “key” on the back, so remove the key or tap a shallow divot in the mid-wall for that key to line-up.
    9 Bolt the IB in-place. Need 3 longer bolts to reach thru the IB and out the back mid-wall. Use fender washers and nus on the back. Good idea to add a small thin skin of RTV on the mid-wall surface so the IB’s rubber seal in-beds well.
    10 Join couplers / align the engine. May need to "play" with engine mount spacer arrangements. Measure couplers on all sides for shop manual specs.

That’s just an overview, to give you ideas of how it could potentially be repaired. You might still need to improvise accordingly.

+1
    Thanks TimeBandit lots of great info and advise. I will definitely implement most of it, if not all.

I'm considering making an aluminum reenforcement for it as well. I'm also coming to the conclusion of fixing it after speaking to a couple of shops (both have told me "bro just drill it, and bolt it thru").

It seems that finding a replacement wall is next to imposible.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread Information