1st real project 94 slt 750 questions

Hello,
    I received a 750 for free, not bad shape but from what I gather from reading here & watching you tube it has the usual issue with compression loss.
    The 1st thing I need to admit is that I am not a mechanic by any means & have really never jumped into a project like this, experience is minor maintenance on my old Yamaha, that's it. So I'm pretty sure I may in over my head. The reason I am even contemplating doing this is for my kids. The 1990 Yamaha was put in storage when I met my wife & got it out 19 yrs. later because the free space was no longer available. The Yamaha is hard for kids to ride dbl & the SLT 750 provides this option for them.
    The machine has no compression in Mag, 122 in the #2 / middle & 60 in the PTO /3rd. It has been switched over to pre-mix already which means that it has already had this type of thing done to it. I do have some people who are willing to help a little bit with the rebuild & can get the machine work done, but am currently having problems getting the impeller out so I can pull the motor. I am not sure how to remove the piece that's on the side of jet pump. I saw a video where someone was putting one back together and took it out the wrong way.
    Can anyone direct me to a diagram or manual on line so I can figure it out? I was thinking if it is worth rebuilding to get a couple of years out of it I would tackle the job. At the very least if I did a good job pulling the motor & keeping things in order I could cut down on the labor cost to have it done.
    Sorry for being wordy, any advice appreciated, & I know this is probably not a wise venture on my part.

1st real project 94 slt 750 questions

I thought I posted a description of the project before question on jet pump removal. Anyway 1st attempt at a project like this, and have very little experience with tear-downs rebuilds and the sort. I gave a brief history as to why I am doing this but will exclude on this post.
    I am trying to get a SLT 750 running for my kids. #1 / mag = 0 compression # 2 has 122 & PTO / #3 has 60. The machine has been turned to pre-mix already s Fair to assume this is not 1st repair of this issue. The jet pump post was just about trying to get the drive shaft removed. I did see a separate video from Fisco Boaters where someone was re assembling a unit & pulled it our wrong.
    I was just wondering if that round (boot / cap) and the rest of assembly needs to be removed from side of the cone a specific way or it just comes apart when I pry the unit out.
    Any way like I said in 1st post I think I may be in over my head with lack of experience but have some help, and access to machining. Just trying not to spend the $ 800 I was told it would take to do the project.
    Thanks for your time

+1
    IMO your best bet at this point is a complete new motor from SBT. They have complete remanufactured engines for $700. Their engines come with a 1 year no fault guarantee. They go through the complete engine including welding the cranks and all new pistons, rings, bearings, etc. Plan on a complete carb rebuild and likely new reeds.

You don't need to remove the pump to get the motor out or back in. You take the exhaust off, disconnect the electrical and fuel. Once you have the motor all unbolted and ready for removal you unbolt the two exhaust side motor mounts from the hull and the motor will slide forward and come right out. Obviously if you need to inspect or service the pump then you just take it out and leave the motor mounts in place.

A decent mechanic can have the motor out and sitting on the bench in 30 minutes. Less if he has done it a few times. Back in is the same.

I just put a new motor from SBT in my 94 SLT 750. I'm the original owner and the ski has well over 600 hours on the original motor. My motor had a bad crank bearing. When I priced everything out it was way cheaper to just get a new reman engine from SBT.

With motor, shipping, 3 outlet pump, carb kit and reeds you are looking at around $1000 for a ski that will be reliable and fun for years to come.

https://www.shopsbt.com/jetski/polar...1994-1995.html
    Last edited by AKIQPilot; 08-05-2020 at 10:24 AM.

Click avatar for tech links/info K447's Avatar
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by AKIQPilot View Post
    ... my 1994 SLT 750. I'm the original owner and the ski has well over 600 hours on the original motor....
    That is an impressively long lifespan for a 2-stroke PWC engine. 600 hours and 26 years.

+1
    Well it was more like 15 years of actual use. My last kid went off to college in '07. The old girl barely got used once all the kids were out of the house. In about 2010 the crank started making noise. I put the cover on it and pushed it off into the corner of the property. An 8" tree fell on it about 5 years ago and cracked the front hatch cowling pretty good. This summer my grandkids talked me into dragging it out of the woods and seeing if we could get it running. We cleaned out the fuel tank, put a fresh battery and fresh fuel in it and she fired right up. The crank was still making noise, lots of noise. The kids rode it for a week and the crank finally started locking up. It would often restart but it was definitely the crank.

I did a little research and joined this forum. Every ski for sale in AK was way over priced. Guys asking $4000-$5000 for 20 year old junk. Every dealer in AK sold out of new skis. I decided to buy a complete SBT motor for it. That was cheaper than a new crank, pistons, gaskets, bored cyls, etc. We got the motor in last week and waited a week for the new fuel pump. Finally put it in the lake Monday. Runs great again. MFG doesn't work and the decals are a bit flaky but other than that it looks and runs great. I have about $1000 in resurrecting this old girl. My grandkids will get just as much enjoyment out of it as my kids did.

Sorry for the sidetrack.

Click avatar for tech links/info K447's Avatar
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by AKIQPilot View Post
    ... resurrecting this old girl. My grandkids will get just as much enjoyment out of it as my kids did.

Sorry for the sidetrack.
    Stories are good!

Just about every Polaris watercraft has a story now, none of them are young anymore.

+1
    I literall just finished assembly of a 750 rebuild this morning! Going back into the ski this afternoon.

Thread Information