Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    I have a 1999 and 2001 Genesis. There are three things that cause this issue. The capacitor, stator and EMM. I have had all three the issue. I have had the capacitor just die. I was out on the water and the ski died thankfully by the pier. That was the capacitor. Another time I had the stator wire harness come loose under the flywheel cutting it in half. I was able to solder it back and tether it back down. The last one you do not want to hear is the EMM. I had issues where I was riding and it would die but start right back up. It would run fine die again. It was very intermittent. I sent that EMM to DFI and they told me there is a capacitor that dies with age and needs to be replace on all the EMMs.

Another issue I have had that required the EMM to be serviced is hesitation. It can be the TPS or the EMM. Mine was of course the EMM. I actually had to put a oscilloscope on the 48V injector lines and I would see spikes on it induced by the spark circuit. I told DFI because they wouldn't believe me that the dampening diodes were bad and when they checked them, they repaired that part of the EMM.

One thing I did because of the bad manufacturing of the wire harness is that they crimped everything together. Over time all the crimp joints corrode. I tore both harnesses a part and soldered them back together and sealed them with liquid electrical tape. The 48V has to be within tolerance and clean. The harness, EMM, stator, and capacitor all affect it.

If your FICHT is like my 99 and 01, you might have an issue in the flywheel compartment. Mine is cooled by water. If that leaks and fills up with water, it will short out your stator and give you weird symptoms as well. There is an Oring on the oil pump on the front of the motor. There are also two covers sandwiched together that can leak and cause issue that I found.

https://s.amsu.ng/1v6fniFaXeoN

I am getting very erratic readings, last night I got 7.8v out of the EMM and today only 5.6v. One time on the display it will have 140 rmps. Next time it doesnt read anything. I trickled charged the battery last night, so it should be fully charged. What should I look for next and why I'm I getting the erratic readings?

Thanks

+1
    The erratic and inconsistent DC voltages you are measuring are an indication of a failed EMM. However, you should check the stator before sending it in for repair. This is done by unplugging the stator harness from the EMM (middle sized plug of the three) and measuring across the pins. You can find illustrations of the plug pin-out here.

First, you'll want to measure continuity of each section. They will measure near zero ohms. Do not be concerned if you do not obtain the exact resistance meeting set forth in the service manual--you won't.

You'll also want to check for shorts between the sections.

If that all checks OK, you'll want to check the AC (not DC) output voltage of each section, while cranking the engine over with a fully charged battery. See this thread for details.

Click avatar for tech links/info K447's Avatar
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by rsmartin5 View Post

I am getting very erratic readings, last night I got 7.8v out of the EMM and today only 5.6v.

One time on the display it will have 140 rmps. Next time it doesnt read anything. ... why am I getting the erratic readings?

Erratic readings just tell you something is broken. Addition retesting is not going to somehow fix it.

The DC power system for the Ficht engine is unable to properly power the EMM and fuel injectors.

Either the EMM is bad (common) or the stator coils are damaged (happens) or the flywheel magnets have broken (common) or some combination.

There could be multiple things wrong at the same time. This would not be unusual.
    TPS also bad, common.
    Wire harness damaged or a connector corroded inside, also possible.

Unless you have access to a known working Ficht EMM or another working Polaris watercraft with the same Ficht engine, the most expedient route may be to send the EMM away for testing. Expect that it will need repair.

7. +1 by:

Check the OHMS meter set at 200

1-12 pin 6 to 18
    2-11 pin 6 to 22
    3-10 pin 7 to 42
    4-9 pin 4 to 68
    5-8 pin 6 to 11

The AC readings while cranking, meter at 200

1-12 - 6.7
    2-11 - 6.7
    3-10 -4.3
    4-9 - 2.5
    5-8 - 4.1.

Thoughts??

Thanks

+1
    Your resistance readings are all high. If you hold the meter leads together, what does it read?

Your AC voltage measurements are about right, with the exception of 4-9. That is half of what it shpould be.

It will read anywhere from 15 - 30 to 0. Set at 200 ohms

+1
    Does it settle at zero and remain there, or does it flutter back to 15 - 30? It should settle quickly to zero and remain there. If it doesn't, I suggest you find another meter and re-run the tests.

Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread Information