Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

STX-15F driveshaft

Any info/opinions would be appreciated!

Started chasing a really bad vibration and rattling noise that was coming from my carriage assembly area. Pulled the motor and when I tug on the driveshaft, there's a little bit of play, up and down and side to side. Pulled the drive shaft out of the carriage assembly and there's some noticeable marks where the shaft rides inside of the bearing. No gouges, just what appears to be heat marks.

I plan on replacing the carriage assembly with a fresh one from Kawi Performance. Should I fork up the money for a new driveshaft?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	unnamed.jpg 
Views:	151 
Size:	88.4 KB 
ID:	465051  

Let me out of here......I need to go on Greenhulk!
    +1
    Looks normal. run your fingernail across it if its not catching then its good

+1
    Yeah that looks fine. Check the run out of the driveshafts if you like but it’s probably fine. Was the carriage assembly loose?

Thanks for the replies guys. Carriage assembly wasn't loose. Seems like the race of the bearing was worn maybe? The driveshaft just had the slightest bit of play in it. This ski is actually a recently completed Ultra LX conversion so maybe the motor wasn't aligned properly.
    I ended up purchasing a used carriage assembly off ebay. Came off a 2010 with only 80 hours so here hoping for the best....

Here's a video of the noise for those that are interested.

Might cancel my ebay order and spring for this one https://www.atlanticjetsports.com/co...0-900-1100-all

It's a lot cheaper than a completed OEM assembly from KP....Any opinions?

+1
    OK, I'm confused. What is an 'Ultra LX conversion'? Why would you install a holder with 80 hours on it?

Yes, go with the Rhaas.

To align it right, mount the pump, install the driveshaft with holder, install the engine. Slide the holder forward and apply sealant to the back side. Slide it back against the bulkhead and snug down the bolts. Do not tighten them until the next day. This will prevent squeezing all the sealant out.

Quote Originally Posted by steve45 View Post
    OK, I'm confused. What is an 'Ultra LX conversion'? Why would you install a holder with 80 hours on it?

Yes, go with the Rhaas.

To align it right, mount the pump, install the driveshaft with holder, install the engine. Slide the holder forward and apply sealant to the back side. Slide it back against the bulkhead and snug down the bolts. Do not tighten them until the next day. This will prevent squeezing all the sealant out.
    I call it an Ultra LX conversion only because its a 2008 Ultra 250 hull with a 2016 STX motor mated to the 250 pump.....if that makes sense. I see you're in TX so if you know Joe with Austin Jetskier, that's who I got it from. Its been running flawlessly since I've had it this season but I think the vibrating/noise issue started after I hit a huge wake.

Only reason I went with the used carriage was the price. $80 bucks shipped but I'll cancel and go with the Rhaas.

+1
    I went with just a standard rebuild kit ($50). It’s a very easy install. I then added the TBM carrier bearing cover which is a very solid unit. Out of curiosity, what impeller are you running in that 250 pump?

Quote Originally Posted by dcuhpw View Post
    I went with just a standard rebuild kit ($50). Itís a very easy install. I then added the TBM carrier bearing cover which is a very solid unit. Out of curiosity, what impeller are you running in that 250 pump?
    I believe it's the stock impeller from what I can tell.
    Had to order the carriage from Rhaas directly since everyone else is sold out. $208 shipped

Has anyone had a chance to look at the video? Any thoughts or opinions? I can only hope it’s the bearing inside of the carriage assembly that was the cause of the thumping/rattling noise since there was a little movement with the driveshaft. Would a little bit of movement cause that much noise though?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information