Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

+1

Submerged my STX160 today - ADVICE

Long story short, incoming tide pinned the ski against the dock and eventually got flipped and stuck. Passing boater was able to tie and rope and pull it away from the dock. Ski was hauled out, drained, hose down inside out with SaltAway, airbox drained, trailer tilted back at least to help drain, spark plugs removed and cranked (no water), plugs replaced and motor started. Anticorrosion spray the Entire engine/inside ski. Motor flushed with just water BUT oil looks milky and a little above the fill line. Will extract oil tomorrow 2-3x

Questions
    1. After each oil change. Do I start motor for a few minutes and see if oil is still milky? Keep changing it until it looks normal?
    2. Since the Ski is still under warranty, would you take it to the dealer to inspect/give it a good bill of health? Can Kawasaki deny warranty in the future because it was submerged?
    3. Anything else I should do/check/inspect?

thanks in advance.

I wouldn’t risk the dealer but keep change the oil for sure a couple times. But if you have a good dealer then maybe ask for a friend lol.
    But really o can’t see what else they would do short of a compression test. I think you will be fine but we shall see if any experts chim in.
    Oh maybe check your connectors to make sure they are dry and clean.

+1
    Yes, change the oil several times until you get clear oil. Do this NOW! If you wait, you risk ruining the camshafts. Change the filter after a couple of oil changes.

NO! Do not take it to the dealer. They will let it sit for days before they get to it and it WILL be damaged, and it WILL NOT be covered by warranty because it will be considered abuse.

You need to take care of this TODAY!

+1
    Picking up a Oil extractor today and will take care of the water in oil. After each oil change, do I start the motor to circulate things or refill and extract? Will use regular oil until I get it clear. I also bought Kawasaki Oil and Filter so will make that my last change once I feel all/most of the water is out.

+1
    Yes, run it on the flush hose for a few minutes to try to circulate out any water, then drain it.

Of course, remember the rule for running on the hose: start the engine, THEN turn on the water. Turn off the water, THEN turn off the water. NEVER allow the water to run unless the engine is running.

+1
    Quick update. Called 2 dealers and both said the same thing. (One 15 min from me and the other in NJ I bought the ski from)
    1. Call the insurance company and start a claim just in case.
    2. sorry but 2 weeks is the earliest I can bring the ski
    3. Until then, keep Changing oil out until clean and clear
    4. Both was on the phone with me when I cranked the motor over and both said that was a good sign. It’s not hydrolocked or seized.
    5. Dry spark plugs is also a good sign.

Will report back after my oil changes ��

+1
    You really don't need to take the 'Ski in. The steel parts inside the engine are the potential problem areas. Crankshaft, camshafts, timing chain, etc. You can probably flush out most of the water. After that, you'll have to run it hard for 20 minutes or so to boil out any remaining water.

Another thing you should do is open up all electrical stuff and dry it out with a hair dryer.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by steve45 View Post
    You really don't need to take the 'Ski in. The steel parts inside the engine are the potential problem areas. Crankshaft, camshafts, timing chain, etc. You can probably flush out most of the water. After that, you'll have to run it hard for 20 minutes or so to boil out any remaining water.

Another thing you should do is open up all electrical stuff and dry it out with a hair dryer.

I agree Steve. My appointment is in 2 weeks but in the mean time, this is what The dealer is telling me to do in the mean time. No matter what, even if I get the ski running and I go out with no issues, I will still keep my appt so the dealer can at least inspect it and hopefully give it a clean bill of health.

+1

3 oil changes in and more to go. Motor starts and idles fine.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	B8382F76-7ECA-4797-B149-749C2EBB5318.jpg 
Views:	195 
Size:	112.0 KB 
ID:	465054  

You need to pull the oil filter and drain it out each time to expedite the progress.

It wouldn't hurt to put hot oil in your motor. You could warm up your car and do an oil change on that and then put it in your ski and change it out again.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information