MSX 150 Battery Light and then Won't Restart

I'm having a strange problem with our MSX. I finally got it running well and the kids were out riding. They said the battery light came on along with the red flashing light. They shut off the ski. It would then not restart. I checked the fuses (three fuse banks that I'm aware of) and they are all good. When I put the lanyard on, nothing happens, but when I push start I can hear a high pitch noise and a light click. The fuel pump does not turn on and the starter solenoid does not get the 12v trigger. I do have 12v at the battery. I tried bypassing the SFIB, and nothing changed. I went through the troubleshooting guide in the manual and it says to check for voltage at the large relay in terminal and the circuit breaker. Problem is, I don't know where they are?? I was so happy to have the mechanical stuff working and now I've got electrical problems. Any help is greatly appreciated.

+1
    Greetings Wilson,
    it sounds like your voltage regulator/rectifier has died. Once the voltage regulator died, the ski ran on battery power without the alternator being able to charge the battery. When the ski was shut off, the battery had already gotten too low to restart. At times, the battery may show 12 volts, but not have the amperage there to start the ski.

The voltage regulator is situated beneath the intercooler. You can disconnect the boost hoses and undo the fasteners and push the intercooler off itís mount, forward, and to the side to gain access to swap out the regulator. They often die from corrosion, so I like to coat my new ones in a corrosion inhibitor when I install them. The new voltage regulator can be purchased from Weberpower.com.

Thank You!! That sounds about right. I noticed that the fuel pump relay was clicking but the fuel pump wasn't turning on and that the gauge display was in and out and kind of glitchy. I'll remove the regulator. Is there a way to test it before ordering a new one?

+1
    You can test it, but I bet if you take it out youíll visually see why itís dead. On the bottom where the circuitry is potted into the heat sink, you may see corrosion visibly disrupting/breaking through. Those are a very common failure point on the MSX, especially if itís been a saltwater ski like yours. I replace them often (much less often after I got a new one and coat it in heavy duty corrosion inhibitor).

Also, for your peace of mind, Iíve never had a MSX alternator go bad. Theyíre very reliable.

The voltage regulator, sitting on the front of the motor, catches all the little saltwater drips that come through the seat seal and fall down around the intercooler. You donít see it there so the corrosion goes unnoticed until you see that telltale battery light.

For those reading this, they commonly short to ground and pop the 30-amp charging fuse, another telltale sign.

Randy at Weberpower can set you up with a nice new one. To me, those are like brake pads and not worth buying a used one.

Well...I figured out the problem. The ground cable that grounds the electronics and the starter solenoid had snapped off. It grounds on the lug on the starboard side. At least that's a cheap fix!! I think I'll order one of those voltage regulators anyway just to have a spare on hand. Is it good practice to bypass the SFIB even though there is nothing wrong with it? I'm not sure I can handle another breakdown on the water.

+1
    Thatís great!! So did you manage to work out the smoking/mechanical engine issues? Sounds like youíre well on your way. Yes, bypassing the SIFB is a great ďmodĒ to be done in the name of reliability. Those modules have a near 100% failure rate. The paperclip, however, is a lifetime piece!

I did get the smoking problem fixed. I had to add a vent to the cam cover and plump it into a catch can. Now it doesn't smoke anymore. For some reason the oil tank wasn't venting the crankcase like it is supposed to. Now its latest problem is that the check engine light flashes constantly and the rpms max out at 6000 with a top speed in the the low 40s. This just started after towing it out of the waterway when the ground cable broke off. It starts and idles perfectly in the water. I'm wondering if a sensor got fried when the ground cable broke off.

Thread Information