GTX always sitting LOW in water. HydroTurf always coming off!

I have a 2004 GTX 4Tec 185. I feel it sits low in the rear, like there is no buoyancy or styrofoam or something. If I am sitting on the back seat of the seadoo while not moving, my ankles are in the water o the back deck... this leads to water constantly filling the foot wells and the HydroTurf always under water and then coming loose.

1. What can I check to ensure I have enough foam, or add foam to increase the buoyancy at all?
    2. Is there a fix other than buying a new seadoo with the better buoyancy on the rear deck?
    3. Does anyone have recommendations on HydroTurf options, since mind keep unsticking or coming unglued? I dont want to replace pieces every other month...

Click avatar for tech links/info K447's Avatar
    +1
    Buoyancy is not affected by the material(s) inside the hull (other than the minor weight of the foam material).
    Adding foam inside would not help the hull float any higher. Removing foam would not make it float lower.

If your hull is genuinely not as buoyant as it should be, then there is excess weight inside the hull. Such as water in the bilge, or perhaps water trapped in between the outer hull and an inner hull liner.

I am not familiar with your particular hull/model. I cannot say whether your hull’s buoyancy is sub-par for the model.

Click avatar for tech links/info K447's Avatar
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by RobKat View Post
    I have a 2004 GTX 4Tec 185. ...

3. Does anyone have recommendations on HydroTurf options, since mine keeps unsticking or coming unglued? I dont want to replace pieces every other month...
    How are you attaching the hydroturf to the footwell surface?
    Are you reusing the old mat material or installing new?

Properly installed traction mat should be able to withstand water exposure.

+1
    I purchased a pair of 02 gtx and both had opas...boots leaking into the hull...might want to check them...

+1
    1. What can I check to ensure I have enough foam, or add foam to increase the buoyancy at all?
    Post a pic of the level it floats at. We can then tell you if it normal or not
    2. Is there a fix other than buying a new seadoo with the better buoyancy on the rear deck?
    See answer to question 1 What does the rider weigh?
    3. Does anyone have recommendations on HydroTurf options, since mind keep unsticking or coming unglued? I dont want to replace pieces every other month
    Mats, properly installed (footwells properly cleaned and prepped) will not come off from water or sun, mine have been on for 16 years and other than the HydroTurf logo starting to break down, the rest of the mats look like new and have never lifted.

I suppose then the issue comes down to the model and the weight. When I remove the seats, I really barely ever see water in the bottom hull, under the engine area. It's been pretty dry so far (fingers crossed).

If I am seated on the Seadoo, directly on the main seat, the rear deck is NOT underwater. If I shift to the back seat, my feet are going to be wet. My overall concern is really just using the Seadoos for fishing, attaching a cooler to the back, etc seems like a bad idea, as the rear deck will likely be under water and that is no good. Here is a sample pick of me sitting on the middle seat, I am 200lbs roughly, just some basic stuff in the front compartment, but no coolers, etc. I look at the newer Seadoos and they are clearly more stable, I know that, but you can literally stand on the back deck and you are not touching the water, by a few inches. I know I wont have that, but this seems a bit much for water coming onboard just sitting on the ski.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_5280.jpg 
Views:	102 
Size:	115.0 KB 
ID:	465452  

+1
    I have 05 GTX 185. The only time I have seen this happen is water intrusion into the back of the ski. 1 you should install a bilge bump in the rear if the ski. There is a flat spot next to the pump tunnel on the left side originally for a depth finder, which is a perfect spot for a bilge pump. I have seen loose sponson bolts leak, loose fittings in the pump area, loose exhaust hose clamps, or any of the many hose clamps being loose, carbon seal leaks, etc, etc. Sure looks like you are taking on water to me.

I installed new Hydroturf mats on this ski 2 years ago following their instructions with zero issues.

Probably taking on water somehow for the sag. As far as the mats, if you don't properly prepare the surface before install(prepared really really well). They can peel back up. Never leave the old glue or residue.

Thread Information