Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    +1
    Very possible. I have been around 700-800 fwhp setups with 1.8 liter engines. All boost, no spray. Half the boost. Sounds like their setup doesn't live long, but it rips!

My name is Sean and I am addicted to STXs smokeysevin's Avatar
    +1
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/BMW_M12

"For 1986, the M12 was upgraded into the M12/13/1. This version was claimed to have produced a maximum output of 1,400 hp (1,044 kW) in qualifying trim, which would make it the most powerful engine ever to race in Formula 1"

Building a motor that stays together for short rips is a totally different ballgame from building a CC race engine which is totally different from an offshore engine, and completely different from an endurance race engine.

I don't find it hard to believe that its possible but I can't wrap my head around the numbers.

I am in the process of putting together a vortech supercharged 15f motor and 400+hp out of 1.5l engine seems high to me. I can't comprehend 3 times that power out of basically the same size engine. The numbers just don't make sense.

I don't doubt that they are telling the truth or close to it but its just mindblowing.

Sean

Even when you show people there are always naysayers.If people dont know how to do something then it must not be possible.All I can say is to come to Florida and you will leave a believer.A 600 hp ski is only a every weekend ridden ski and not the tip of the iceberg at all.Folks would be surprised what is possible with good weather and 12 months of testing

Click avatar for tech links/info K447's Avatar
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by mittens View Post
    ... its a get on it and set records and if it pops ...
    I do wonder how severe the hull handling response would be to a sudden complete loss of power at 130+ mph ...

That GP1800 hull looked fairly stable during on-off throttle transitions, but a sudden engine failure could reduce the jet pump RPM to zero rather quickly, which could trigger a pump stuffing event at speed.

The video mentioned multiple engine failures during testing, so I imagine they developed some experience with sudden/unanticipated engine power cut-out events.

+1
    How about this. It dont matter what kind of horse power he is making, or if it is possible. What it indisputable is that

HE WENT 135MPH!

My name is Sean and I am addicted to STXs smokeysevin's Avatar
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by troyheb View Post
    How about this. It dont matter what kind of horse power he is making, or if it is possible. What it indisputable is that

HE WENT 135MPH!
    I think part of what makes it so surprising is that the run looked almost effortless and other than the hugeass turbo, the ski looked mostly stock at least to a dirty kawi guy.

I don't know enough about the yamaha hulls to know whats required for that kind of speed but for me, I had always heard of the tunnels stuffing, the hulls cracking, and the grates pulling out. If it really is a stock hull, the pilot has to have balls of adamantium.

In one of the shots on the video it looked like it had some kind of brace or mount for the pump in the tunnel.

I also think most people (myself included) don't fully understand what goes into supporting 1200hp and in the same vane, 135mph on the water.

Its impressive as hell regardless of what the actual numbers end up being.

Sean

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by mittens View Post
    So is the intercooler just a Fizzle 1000 with a direct feed?
    Fizzle SuperCooler it's designed for the Sea-Doo 300 but there's at least 2 dozen people using it on big turbo Yamaha builds

Quote Originally Posted by K447 View Post
    I do wonder how severe the hull handling response would be to a sudden complete loss of power at 130+ mph ...

That GP1800 hull looked fairly stable during on-off throttle transitions, but a sudden engine failure could reduce the jet pump RPM to zero rather quickly, which could trigger a pump stuffing event at speed.

The video mentioned multiple engine failures during testing, so I imagine they developed some experience with sudden/unanticipated engine power cut-out events.
    We know exactly what happens on an FZR hull at 127mph when an engine locks up...Ski stops so hard that the driver passed it as he went over the handle bars. I cant imagine the result being much different on the GP hull.

+1
    So can we end the debate on who has the best intercoolers on the market!

10. +1 by:

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by JFizzleJR View Post
    Fizzle SuperCooler it's designed for the Sea-Doo 300 but there's at least 2 dozen people using it on big turbo Yamaha builds
    how much cooking capacity is there in the super cooler vs the 1000? Or is it just mainly shape they use it for?

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread Information