Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Click avatar for tech links/info K447's Avatar
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by South Ga View Post
    Yamaha Nano materials is manufactured on the same equipment using the same basic technology as "old school SMC". There is no special layering of different materials in the Nano material. ...
    Welcome to GH.

What sources are you referencing to compare classic SMC with NanoXcel hull manufacture?

My understanding of classic SMC is that it is a single homogeneous material sheet, pressed into final shape in a mold. Cross section of the finished hull material is the same from outside surface to inside surface. I owned several Polaris hulls which were SMC molded.

NanoXcel 2 has a fibrous inner layer (with ‘nano‘ particles of lightweight filler mixed throughout). The fibrous layer is bonded to a hard outer shell layer. In cross section there are two distinct materials visible. On my own GP1800 the hull bottom encountered rocks and scraped away a portion of the hull outer coating layer. The outer hard layer was about 1mm thick.

I cut a disc of material from my GP1800 upper deck side to install a docking cleat. In cross section you can see a slight difference in color where the outer layer under the paint meets the thicker inner layer.

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	5E3C6DDD-C12F-4467-B3B2-667843D01588.jpg 
Views:	218 
Size:	40.8 KB 
ID:	468023   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	9E5B556D-08DA-467B-9F37-57E64D5613CB.jpg 
Views:	216 
Size:	43.5 KB 
ID:	468024  

2. +1 by:

Sorry. there are no sources that i can quote from. This is because i am the person that conceived and developed the nanoXcel material and I have not written a book on the material yet. I have seen a couple of attempts by "so called" educated scholars with their collage degrees, that have tried to explain what the material is and how it is made. After reading their articles, I can tell you they are guessing and they don't know what they are talking about.

The layer you are seeing in the cross-section is a primer coating that is applied to the surface of the SMC material for better paint adhesion. This coating has always been applied to the surface of the water vehicle made in the USA by Yamaha.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by South Ga View Post
    ... no sources that i can quote from. ...

I am the person that conceived and developed the nanoXcel material and I have not written a book on the material yet. ...

Interesting. What are you permitted to share with us?

Can you tell us any specifics for how NanoXcel2 material differs from the original NanoXcel?
    Either in internal composition or in repair and repair prep?

Quote Originally Posted by IanM88 View Post
    Thought this was fixed?? Got a strange vibration yesterday when riding so I took my seat off and had 6-7 inches of water in the hull. I dried it out and dropped it in the water this morning and have water comin in from the back left bolt on what would be the pump tunnel.

is this warranty-able or a backyard fix? Anyone had similar issues with new model skis?

Sorry to hear.
    Here i thought this was only an issue with Seadoo ST3 1st generation models.
    I had the same thing happen to me (2018 RXTX) and sold the craft after nearly 10 months of back and forth with BRP. Cracked pump tunnel caused her to sink, not the typical Carbon Seal issue.

Bought into the Yamaha family with a 2020 FX SVHO think i was running away from any crack potentials... now this is a gut wrenching thing to see it happen to the same model i got. FAAWWWKK

I guess i gotta keep her stock

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by Dreadknotz View Post
    ... 2020 FX SVHO ... crack potentials...
    It is unclear what caused that particular crack failure, and it seems to be an isolated report.

It does not match the known failure mode seen on 2017-2018 GP1800 (cracks right around the intake grate rear bolt holes), which was corrected (reinforced) for 2019 onwards GP1800R. The newest generation FX hull is supposedly derived from the updated/reinforced GP1800R hull so I would expect the current FX to also NOT have that problem.

Quote Originally Posted by K447 View Post
    It is unclear what caused that particular crack failure, and it seems to be an isolated report.

It does not match the known failure mode seen on 2017-2018 GP1800 (cracks right around the intake grate rear bolt holes), which was corrected (reinforced) for 2019 onwards GP1800R. The newest generation FX hull is supposedly derived from the updated/reinforced GP1800R hull so I would expect the current FX to also NOT have that problem.

As per Yamaha rep and dealership the pump tunnels were not reinforced on FX models.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread Information