Fuel in bilge water?

My new Yamaha EXR got rolled over and stayed upside down for about 30 seconds a few minutes before we proceeded to trailer to load up and pull it out. When we did pull it out of water and ran it a few times, there was a fuel sheen in the water. Is it possible that fuel leaked out of the tank while it was upside down and ended up in the bilge? Other thoughts on what could cause this?

Click avatar for tech links/info K447's Avatar
    +1
    Oil sheen?

Yeah an oil sheen look. Could oil have leaked out while it was upside down?

+1
    I guess it's possible that some oil could've leaked out while your ski was upside down. I don't know how old your ski is or how many hours are on it. My opinion is the oil sheen probably came from some oil that may have been on part of the engine that never got water on it until the ski rolled upside down. While the ski rolled and was upside down, that oil was able to get in the water and then you rolled it back to normal and you can now see an oil sheen in the bilge water.

As long as your oil level is fine on the dipstick, I'd be confident that nothing is wrong.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by Spear View Post
    My new Yamaha EXR got rolled over and stayed upside down for about 30 seconds a few minutes before we proceeded to trailer to load up and pull it out. When we did pull it out of water and ran it a few times, there was a fuel sheen in the water. Is it possible that fuel leaked out of the tank while it was upside down and ended up in the bilge? Other thoughts on what could cause this?

I'm guessing it wasn't a huge sheen, but certainly petrol (an oil derivative) can equally put a rainbow-like sheen on the water.
    Not familiar exactly with the EX line, although Yamahas typically have a vent system and in-line valve that shuts when up-side-down, yet could some still have gotten by ... wouldn't be too far fetched.
    Consider the TR1 motor, the a crankcase oil/air separator/filter, residual oil, perhaps that was the source.
    End of the day, don't flip the craft at all possible - nothing is guaranteed.

Click avatar for tech links/info K447's Avatar
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by Spear View Post
    Yeah an oil sheen look.

Could [a very small amount of] oil have leaked out while it was upside down?
    The dipstick tube seal may not be 100.0 % sealed when the engine is inverted. It seems possible that a tiny amount of oil could seep past, into the engine area and bilge water.

Fuel sheen in what water? The bilge water, the lake water around where the hull was floating, or the water coming out of the engine cooling system?

If the engine oil on the dipstick looks clean with no signs of milky appearance, and the oil level is correct, it would seem that there is no problem.

Thanks all for the reply and the technical insights. No problem on my next ride. My final thinking is that it may have been from a little oil residue from the first oil change or from when checking oil level.

Thread Information